Sponsored

Rented an Eco-boost...

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Rented the boosted 4-banger and have to say I did not like it! Anyone on the fence regarding spending the extra to get the GT should just do it.

Not meaning to crap on the folks that have them, for some it is a great car. I certainly do not disparage those that run them. Choice between a Camry and Mustang I4 is a no-brainer.

The car just didn't have the poop that I am used to in the GT. Highway 'pulls' onto on ramps were anemic even compared to the 2014 V6 I had. Passes at highway speeds seemed slow and I missed the grunt of the V8. Missed the sound too...

Personally, I would have loved a boosted V6 version for the lower tier Mustang. I really like that motor.
Sponsored

Excelerater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
any car I ever rented when I had the ability to compare to one I owned
I thought the rental was nothing like a typical owners car..

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Rented the boosted 4-banger and have to say I did not like it! Anyone on the fence regarding spending the extra to get the GT should just do it.

Not meaning to crap on the folks that have them, for some it is a great car. I certainly do not disparage those that run them. Choice between a Camry and Mustang I4 is a no-brainer.

The car just didn't have the poop that I am used to in the GT. Highway 'pulls' onto on ramps were anemic even compared to the 2014 V6 I had. Passes at highway speeds seemed slow and I missed the grunt of the V8. Missed the sound too...

Personally, I would have loved a boosted V6 version for the lower tier Mustang. I really like that motor.
You know your rental had regular. Big difference vs. 91/93.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Shouldn't have been anemic compared to your 3.7 V6. More torque especially. It probably was running on 87 octane. That knocks off a lot of power from the EB.

Sponsored

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
Shouldn't have been anemic compared to your 3.7 V6. More torque especially. It probably was running on 87 octane. That knocks off a lot of power from the EB.
Not to mention summer time heat.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
I own an Ecoboost and I've rented one while out of town, the rental was a dog. You have to remember it's lived it's entire turbocharged life being filled with the cheapest, low octane gas possible on the way back to the airport.

I test drove a GT when I bought mine and I've even had a rental GT on one occasion (who let me have that!) and they are great cars, no reasonably modified Ecoboost will compare. But, that being said for $10K cheaper comparably equipped the Ecoboost is one hell of a great little street car for those of us that have no intentions of tracking the car.

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
I own an Ecoboost and I've rented one while out of town, the rental was a dog. You have to remember it's lived it's entire turbocharged life being filled with the cheapest, low octane gas possible on the way back to the airport.

I test drove a GT when I bought mine and I've even had a rental GT on one occasion (who let me have that!) and they are great cars, no reasonably modified Ecoboost will compare. But, that being said for $10K cheaper comparably equipped the Ecoboost is one hell of a great little street car for those of us that have no intentions of tracking the car.
Exactly. As soon as the order books open for the '22 MY I am going to buy the HO ecoboost convertible from Zack.

moose13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I had a rental EB while my GT was having warranty work done. I actually though the power was good, but found the A10 to be a HUGE letdown. Was awkward and clunky as all hell. It didn't have a ton of miles on it so it's not like it had been thoroughly abused yet either.

Pretty weird because it seems like very loves the A10 around here.

Sponsored

McCarthy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
Both my 19, and 21's are GT's, but I still really enjoy driving a friends ecoboost from time to time. Feels much lighter and more nimble than my GT.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase

A tune and intercooler are a must. If you also didn’t have premium you don’t have toggles for sport modes

also, being a rental it’s running87.even weaker on stock tune to boot.

In short.
93 + any tune + any aftermarket intercooler is a much different ride.