Recalls After Engine Replacement

MikeMPhotos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
In May of 2021, the engine was replaced in my 2017 GT350 due to excessive oil consumption. I got an email today about a recall for something having to do with the backup camera. With this an recently reading about the secondary timing chain tensioner, it got me wondering. Since my VIN no longer matches the engine, how do I find out about recalls related to the new engine? Based on my engine being replaced in May of 2021, it's possible it's a 2020 engine and could have the secondary timing chain issue, but I have no way to look it up.

Thanks

Mike
Sponsored

jalts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
IF you have a dental mirror, look up on you tube how to carefully check if your timing chain has been activated. If you're concerned, you can bring your car to the ford dealership to ensure your new engine is fine under this recall.

OP
OP

MikeMPhotos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
IF you have a dental mirror, look up on you tube how to carefully check if your timing chain has been activated. If you're concerned, you can bring your car to the ford dealership to ensure your new engine is fine under this recall.
Thanks! I actually just ordered a dental mirror from Amazon a few minutes ago.

I'm wondering, in general, what's the best way to keep up with recalls on your engine when it no longer matches your VIN? Is there a way to track it by the engine?

jalts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
Thanks! I actually just ordered a dental mirror from Amazon a few minutes ago.

I'm wondering, in general, what's the best way to keep up with recalls on your engine when it no longer matches your VIN? Is there a way to track it by the engine?
Good question.. I doubt Ford pairs the new engine against your current VIN, so I assume you'll likely need to investigate each case independently.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
Iā€™m certain a few clicks on a computer would fix your problem. Hard to imagine with all the engine replacements from Gen 1 to Gen 2 this hasnā€™t already been taken care of.
If it hasnā€™t, shame on Ford.

Sponsored

OP
OP

MikeMPhotos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Good question.. I doubt Ford pairs the new engine against your current VIN, so I assume you'll likely need to investigate each case independently.
I think youā€™re probably right. I just have to keep up with all the recalls.

Iā€™m certain a few clicks on a computer would fix your problem. Hard to imagine with all the engine replacements from Gen 1 to Gen 2 this hasnā€™t already been taken care of.
If it hasnā€™t, shame on Ford.
They might already do it, but I donā€™t trust Ford to do anything right.

bauern

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
F150 Powerboost
In May of 2021, the engine was replaced in my 2017 GT350 due to excessive oil consumption. I got an email today about a recall for something having to do with the backup camera. With this an recently reading about the secondary timing chain tensioner, it got me wondering. Since my VIN no longer matches the engine, how do I find out about recalls related to the new engine? Based on my engine being replaced in May of 2021, it's possible it's a 2020 engine and could have the secondary timing chain issue, but I have no way to look it up.

Thanks

Mike
Go by the engine build date.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
When a recall is issued it's not based on the VIN on an engine block, it's based on the VIN riveted to the body shell.

Therefore it does not matter if the engine was replaced or not. An NHTSA initiated recall due to a safety related concern by the Auto Manufacturer issue is based on that vehicle's VIN, period. The engine couid be replaced 5x, the back up cam previously replaced 10x, doesn't matter - recall is to satisfy any open manufacturing and safety concerns for that vehicle, with that VIN.

The backup cam issue has been prevalent and known since the initial rollout of the 2015 S550. It's more of an issue in the 2015-2017's because by the 2018 model year revamping, the harness was extended to the proper length for opening/closing trunk lid AND it was not tethered as tight to the body shell rear package shelf. The harness failure was causing the premature breakage or wires within the conduit, shorts and problems with other components such as rear tails, Sirius issues, trunk lid popper not working, other than just the back up cam failing to produce images.

Here's the original thread:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/backup-camera-not-working.122961/#post-2645320

Here's another:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...op-working-heres-the-fix.117245/#post-2465359

---
Since 2015, Ford released multiple TSB/SSM's about the rear cam failures... now it takes over 8,500 Warranty repairs to realize "derp, earth to ground crew, we got a problem""...

OP
OP

MikeMPhotos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
When a recall is issued it's not based on the VIN on an engine block, it's based on the VIN riveted to the body shell.

Therefore it does not matter if the engine was replaced or not. An NHTSA initiated recall due to a safety related concern by the Auto Manufacturer issue is based on that vehicle's VIN, period. The engine couid be replaced 5x, the back up cam previously replaced 10x, doesn't matter - recall is to satisfy any open manufacturing and safety concerns for that vehicle, with that VIN.

The backup cam issue has been prevalent and known since the initial rollout of the 2015 S550. It's more of an issue in the 2015-2017's because by the 2018 model year revamping, the harness was extended to the proper length for opening/closing trunk lid AND it was not tethered as tight to the body shell rear package shelf. The harness failure was causing the premature breakage or wires within the conduit, shorts and problems with other components such as rear tails, Sirius issues, trunk lid popper not working, other than just the back up cam failing to produce images.

Here's the original thread:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/backup-camera-not-working.122961/#post-2645320

Here's another:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...op-working-heres-the-fix.117245/#post-2465359

---
Since 2015, Ford released multiple TSB/SSM's about the rear cam failures... now it takes over 8,500 Warranty repairs to realize "derp, earth to ground crew, we got a problem""...

Thanks, this is actually good information, I had no idea.

My question was more of a hypothetical one though. Getting the camera recall notice is just what got me to thinking. I have a 2017 VIN and newer (probably late 2020 or early 2021) engine. So my question is, if there was a recall on the engine that's in the car now, how would I ever know sense my VIN is going to show 2017 (VIN stamped on body), not 2020/2021 (When new engine was built)? It sounds like, I'll never get notified by Ford, I'll have to pay attention to what's being talked about in places like this Forum, and then call Ford if I think it could affect me. I was hoping there might be a way to look up recalls based on the engine itself, but it doesn't sound like that's the case.
Sponsored