Rear LCA Bushing Install Tips

cidthekid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cesar
Vehicle(s)
2017 Procharged Mustang
Anyone on here installed any aftermarket rear LCA bushings at home? Any tips for how you went about it?

Going to get a set soon and I’m thinking it’s going to be a PITA but maybe you all have figured out a way for it not to be.
Sponsored

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I took mine in because it looked like a PITA. I talked to the guy who did the swap, and it was, in fact, a PITA.

I am glad I paid someone with the correct tools to do that job.

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
I did the install solo at home using a loaner bearing press tool from AutoZone. Removing/installing the arms is the easy part. It was a battle pressing the stock bushing out and pressing the new bearings in.

The second time I did the swap, I just simply bought new arms with Cortex bearings already installed and just had to swap the arms out and ship them back to Cortex for core deposit refund.

Save yourself the time/effort and buy a 20 ton press from Harbor Freight on sale and it will more than pay for itself to press in/out the bearings and then you have a tool that can be used for future work like rebuilding the diff/pumpkin, which I am doing now.

Hostil

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I replaced mine last year along with a host of other suspension mods all at once by myself on jack stands in my garage. I choose to do everything at the same time rather than installing and uninstalling parts over and over just because something new was added. As for the LCA bearings, I removed them and found an automotive machine shop to remove the old bearings and press in the new bearings. I paid $30 per side (1000% worth every penny!) , I dropped them off, went and had lunch came back in about an hour and they were done. Reinstalled easy like sunday morning!

I heard these were a PITA with anything less than a 40 Ton press.. "Ain't nobody got time for that!!"

Also, did the FRPP toe link bearings at t he same time.

Last edited:

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I did not do it on jack stands. If you feel ok about dropping parts of the exhaust, and getting the spring out on jack stands, then you can probably get the control arm off too.

For pressing the bushing.. My mechanic's shop press wouldn't budge it, but he had a manual screw type press for bushings which did the trick (with two people working it). Don't use a torch on the aluminum control arm, you'll just ruin the temper of the aluminum.

Overall, not a fun job. My friend did do it on jackstands on his GT350. I suspect he's more detail oriented and patient that I am.

Sponsored

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
I'm about to do this job myself. Looks like I'll just have to use the press at work & I'll be fine.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
Anyone on here installed any aftermarket rear LCA bushings at home? Any tips for how you went about it?

Going to get a set soon and I’m thinking it’s going to be a PITA but maybe you all have figured out a way for it not to be.
I removed my LCA and did not have a press to push them out. Took to automotive shop, paid $100 and had them replace them.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
I see that @jmeiers already said it lol. My apologies.
Sponsored