Threads
Reaction score
Website
racersreunion.com
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350, Shadow Black, Whipple Supercharged
The FluiX rear diff cover is now installed, and ready for some temperature tests.

The carrier w/New Diff rear cover ready to go into my car.
Carrier: (Iron Housing, 3.73 Gear w/Torsen) Car: (2016 GT350)
IMG_0450-800x600.jpg

The Install went smoothly and the fit is very nice.
Here's a picture of the Clearance between the rear of the cover and the subframe. About 1" of clearance.
IMG_0453-800x600.jpg

Picture of carrier installed before Exhaust went back on.
IMG_0454-800x600.jpg

Here is finished installation with everything buttoned-up. Now I will be doing some temperature comparisons and tests against my previous readings from the "Stock OEM Cover"
One thing is for sure: This is a nice looking piece!
IMG_0456-800x600.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I think the filling hole needs to be extended outward like the draining hole.

FluiX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
The FluiX Diff Cover is now installed, and ready for some Temperature Tests.

The carrier w/New Diff cover ready to go into my car
Carrier: (Iron Housing, 3.73 Gear w/Torsen) Car: (2016 GT350)
IMG_0450-800x600.jpg

The Install went smoothly and the fit is very nice.
Here's a picture of the Clearance between the rear of the cover and the subframe. About 1" of clearance.
IMG_0453-800x600.jpg

Picture of carrier installed before Exhaust went back on.
IMG_0454-800x600.jpg

Here is finished installation with everything buttoned-up. Now I will be doing some temperature comparisons and tests against my previous readings from the "Stock OEM Cover"
One thing is for sure: This is a nice looking piece!
IMG_0456-800x600.jpg
Looking good!!! Eager to see if it keeps your GT350 cool.

FluiX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I think the filling hole needs to be extended outward like the draining hole.
This was a consideration. The problem with this is that you may not be able to fit a standard tool between the oil plug and the subframe to twist it out the oil plug. On John's pictures it looks that there is more space than in reality.

JohnVallo

1 5 4 8 3 7 2 6
Threads
Reaction score
Website
racersreunion.com
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350, Shadow Black, Whipple Supercharged
Build Complete.jpg

For a good temperature comparison of this New Rear Cover with OEM, I figured the best test would be going with a three-pronged approach.
  • Extended Interstate drive
  • Back road aggressive session
  • Drifting and autocross event
I started by making a 1020 mile round trip to Fort Walton Beach FL from Venice Fl.
I had made this same trip in Aug 2018 with my OEM rear-End w/Stock Rear Cover and had recorded some diff temps. Mostly all interstate driving with occasional higher speeds.
Aug 2018 -Diff Temp Average = 202, Highest reached = 220
Nov 2020 -Diff Temp Average = 194, Highest reached = 210

In the FWB area there are 2 large military installations, (Eglin AFB, and Hurlburt Field)
The roads are pretty desolate at times, plenty with low traffic, some winding.
I was able to do some aggressive back road driving again while there.
Aug 2018 -Diff Temp Average = 224, Highest reached = 235
Nov 2020 -Diff Temp Average = 216, Highest reached = 222

About a year ago I participated in a drifting event at a local asphalt oval race track in Central FL
Jun 2019 -Diff Temp Average = 255, Highest reached = 275

For the final leg of testing me and couple of my buddies recently set up an autocross in a large abandoned parking lot.
We did several runs and some drifting in 25-35 minute sessions.
Nov 2020 -Diff Temp Average = 238, Highest reached = 255

In conclusion I believe this newer Diff Cover definitely offers some additional cooling for the Mustang S550 Rear-End and I would definitely recommend it, not only for its great look, but also for its functionality. It positively has been an improvement for me over OEM and I am very happy with it.

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Nice :sunglasses:

Do you know what temp the ECU puts you in limp mode i.e. is the difference enough to keep it running normally ?

If the difference is enough to keep someone on track for their full session then I think these things will sell like hot cakes ... :like:

WD :like:

Superspirit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Build Complete.jpg

For a good temperature comparison of this New Rear Cover with OEM, I figured the best test would be going with a three-pronged approach.
I started by making a 1020 mile round trip to Fort Walton Beach FL from Venice Fl.
I had made this same trip in Aug 2018 with my OEM rear-End w/Stock Rear Cover and had recorded some diff temps. Mostly all interstate driving with occasional higher speeds.

In the FWB area there are 2 large military installations, (Eglin AFB, and Hurlburt Field)

About a year ago I participated in a drifting event at a local asphalt oval race track in Central FL

For the final leg of testing me and couple of my buddies recently set up an autocross in a large abandoned parking lot.

In conclusion I believe this newer Diff Cover definitely offers some additional cooling for the Mustang S550 Rear-End and I would definitely recommend it, not only for its great look, but also for its functionality. It positively has been an improvement for me over OEM and I am very happy with it.
What were the ambient temps? The difference in ambient temperature between August and November could make as big a difference as you recorded. I would love to see this be a great option but without knowing the ambient temp of both tests, this info is invalid.

FluiX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Nice :sunglasses:

Do you know what temp the ECU puts you in limp mode i.e. is the difference enough to keep it running normally ?

If the difference is enough to keep someone on track for their full session then I think these things will sell like hot cakes ... :like:

WD :like:
I believe it is 293 Fahrenheit. With that knowledge, it would be nice if they were to sell like hot cakes :)

FluiX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Build Complete.jpg

Thanks for the detailed and unbiased write-up! The numbers are about what I expected, even though I have received reports that the temperatures dropped as much as 30 Fahrenheit at high load. Those testers did not change their temperature sensor to a new one. So either the old sensor measured not as accurately when re-installed, or there also may be a small difference from sensor to sensor with respect to calibration.

Most important is that your margin to limp mode is now much larger and you should not run into problems. The numbers in your drift session do seem very convincing! I hope the part will allow you to enjoy your car on track without a time limit!

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
Drift session looks promising but as mentioned we really need the air temp of each day for a solid comparison. Also, for real track day use you would need a 20 minute session with say 40 minutes break and then repeat at least like 4 times to see if the final session still stays under the limp mode temp. Getting through a whole track day should be the goal.

Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Drift session looks promising but as mentioned we really need the air temp of each day for a solid comparison. Also, for real track day use you would need a 20 minute session with say 40 minutes break and then repeat at least like 4 times to see if the final session still stays under the limp mode temp. Getting through a whole track day should be the goal.
^This^

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT
Have to agree. Sounds promising, but track event testing would be the gold standard here.

FluiX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I am already thankful enough that John went out of his way to make a tedious write-up in a very detailed and professional manner. Of course a test as suggested with back-to-back sessions would be the ideal world, but I cannot ask for that from anyone. Not even Ford did these kind of tests on the GT350 apparently :D.

However, I can assure you that after 40 minutes cool-down period the diff oil temperature will be a lot lower than with the OEM cover, or even than with a active diff oil cooler, since the finned cooler also "cools" without a running oil pump and transfers several kW of heat during this time. It may be enough to see how much time it needs to reduce a 255 F oil temp down to 100 F. If this would happen in less than 40 minutes, the other extra back-to-back sessions would be even not required.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I am already thankful enough that John went out of his way to make a tedious write-up in a very detailed and professional manner. Of course a test as suggested with back-to-back sessions would be the ideal world, but I cannot ask for that from anyone. Not even Ford did these kind of tests on the GT350 apparently :D.
When does the Mag version get released? ;)

FluiX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
When does the Mag version get released? ;)
Magnesium could be easily casted from the same mould. But the thermal conductivity of magnesium is 2/3 of aluminium, also like the weight. The cooling effectiveness will be worse.

This is why heat exchangers try to use copper where they can, because the thermal conductivity of copper is almost 2 times higher than aluminium. But copper is very ductile, so aluminium is often the next best comprimise with considerations for structural properties, corrosion, price/availability and many other material properties. High performance radiators or intercoolers are for this reason often from aluminium.

But for its low thermal conductivity, magnesium is used on many high end intake manifolds. These intake manifolds will not "heat soak" like aluminium --> less heat transferred to intake air and you also have lower weight. Magnesium usually requires some surface treatment like a coating or it will have problems with corrosion.
Sponsored