Sponsored

Quiet Exhaust

DavisCustoms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost Premium
Of course there are dozens of threads on making the Ecoboost's exhaust louder... but what about just a little louder? (and yes I kick myself in the butt daily for not getting the active exhaust)
Basically we use our 19 Eco for car shows and road trips, so we want to keep it quite as possible but the wife loves the slight rumble sound when you have the windows down and in sport+ and are slowing down almost stopped (around 1000rpm)
we don't want any interior resonance.
Any ideas?

2019 stock Ecoboost Premium with just a Green Filter

I already have 3" Flowmaster American Force exhaust on my 5.0 truck and the wifes truck has a 5.0 w/shorty headers, no cats with dual 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust, so it is nice to have ONE vehicle you can have a conversation in with out yelling....lol
Sponsored

BLU-PNY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Mustang premium vert, 2016 F-150 XLT 4x4, 2006 Mazda Miata
Well.....I am running stock mufflers but removed the center resonator and installed the CVF Y-pipe. It is a little louder and deeper sounding (actually my wife's description), but primarily when applying throttle, and on decel. Not a big change, but noticeable and a bit better sound IMO, especially under acceleration.

No droning or resonance running either with the vert top up or down. Having said that, there sometimes is a very brief resonance on totally cold startup, but it only lasts 2 or 3 seconds max after engine starts and is never heard again.

Pretty inexpensive (and reversible) mod. I don't have any data to substantiate it, but the resonator delete/Y- pipe also seems to have improved low/mid throttle response/power a bit. I noticed that immediately.

Not sure if this is of any interest but thought I would mention it.

OP
OP
DavisCustoms

DavisCustoms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost Premium
Thanks Blu-Pny
I will sure look into the CVF Y-pipe, and @ $135, price isn't bad either.
My biggest issue to to make sure there is zero drone in the cabin

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
MAP resonated cat back. It is nice and low with enough volume to be heard but not loud or obnoxious. I have no resonance in the cabin and only hear a deep growl when accelerating. Most importantly, there is no buzz or whiney ricer noise.

BLU-PNY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Mustang premium vert, 2016 F-150 XLT 4x4, 2006 Mazda Miata
Thanks Blu-Pny
I will sure look into the CVF Y-pipe, and @ $135, price isn't bad either.
My biggest issue to to make sure there is zero drone in the cabin
As indicated, I have experienced zero drone with top down or top up on my convertible. You might research here and also on the Mustang Ecoboost.net Forum - there are several informative threads about Y-pipe/resonator delete.....and specifically the CVF pipe.. Those helped me decide on this mod. The CVF Y-pipe is a quality piece - well-constructed and perfect fit (no affiliation).

Last edited:

Sponsored

peoples1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS
Thermal R&D. Excellent sound (it has sound, not noise), hemholtz to cancel resonance, and great look. Not terribly expensive, but not the cheapest.

Black9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
If interested I have a CVF res. delete for sale ,115.00 used maybe 15 miles...I thought with the a axle backs (NXT) was louder than I was looking for.

101a

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost 101a
I'll tell you but, it's one of those things that can be hard to believe.

I have the A10 with the 3.15 diff. I also have the Flowmaster Outlaw GT (quad) axlebacks. At highway speeds, it's quieter than Outlaw V6/EB axlebacks. I used my Apple Watch, at 70+ mph, it's 69DB in loudness including the radio playing.

It's only loud when it's under high boost or high vacuum. I've lost the linear RPM loudness I had with the Outlaw V6/EB axlebacks. They never droned but I lost that loud hum. You can still hear it, but it's quieter now.

At first I couldn't figure out why it's loud or quiet at the same RPMs. I had to look at my boost gauge for the first time to find something that matched what I was hearing. It's a weird place to be in but I don't mind it.

Here's my post with exhaust: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/eb-mustang-exhaust-sound-clip-thread.14511/post-3038891
and info: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/eb-mustang-exhaust-sound-clip-thread.14511/post-3041054

Black9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
I will say I bought a Rev9 full cat back ( I also have a catted down pipe) 348.00 stainless steel , fits great, ez install and quiet rumble.

Bigstang16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red EB
If interested I have a CVF res. delete for sale ,115.00 used maybe 15 miles...I thought with the a axle backs (NXT) was louder than I was looking for.
how do you like the NXT axel backs? how loud on scale of 1-10? thanks.

Sponsored

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
Of course there are dozens of threads on making the Ecoboost's exhaust louder... but what about just a little louder? (and yes I kick myself in the butt daily for not getting the active exhaust)
Basically we use our 19 Eco for car shows and road trips, so we want to keep it quite as possible but the wife loves the slight rumble sound when you have the windows down and in sport+ and are slowing down almost stopped (around 1000rpm)
we don't want any interior resonance.
Any ideas?

2019 stock Ecoboost Premium with just a Green Filter

I already have 3" Flowmaster American Force exhaust on my 5.0 truck and the wifes truck has a 5.0 w/shorty headers, no cats with dual 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust, so it is nice to have ONE vehicle you can have a conversation in with out yelling....lol
The Ford Racing mufflers from Borla are louder than stock and sound great. They sure do wake the car up. I can get you a set here from www.lethalperformance.com

Black9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
NXT’s with resonator probably 5 or so without resonator 7 with some drone @ 2500–3500 under power.For me, I thought they were perfect with a resonator. The Rev9 full cutback I just put on is about a 3, keep in mind I also have a CVF catted downpipe

OP
OP
DavisCustoms

DavisCustoms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost Premium
The Ford Racing mufflers from Borla are louder than stock and sound great. They sure do wake the car up. I can get you a set here from www.lethalperformance.com
When I was a Ford Tech, I installed several Borla exhaust systems and always loved how they sounded and were always great quality, and the Borla axle back with the black tips was my first choice... until the wife seen the price... and said no.
hence checking with you all on other ideas.

hoppyjr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully a Mustang soon!
I’d suggest looking at the Ford Performance by Borla “Touring”system. It’s a little deeper tone than stock, but no drone and still 50-state legal because it is 95db Max.

there are videos and sound clips on YouTube.

OP
OP
DavisCustoms

DavisCustoms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost Premium
that's the one we were originally looking at but since we are in the middle of adoption, we have to watch what we spend and the Borla/Ford Racing is a pretty penny.

I'm thinking we may go with the CVF Y-pipe or I may just cut and weld up different mufflers and leave the rest stock
Sponsored