Sponsored

Lightweight but relatively quiet exhaust experiment

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
One of my goals is to have a better flowing but relatively quiet exhaust to avoid unwanted attention. My current setup (Corsa 3" catted DP -> Borla Pro XS 3" inlet/dual 2.25" outlets -> pair of GT mufflers) met that goal. However, there are improvements that can be made, especially in the weight department.

One of my friends donated a stock GT catback exhaust for this experiment. I ordered parts in order to go Corsa 3" catted DP -> Magnaflow XL 3" inlet/dual 2.5" outlets -> MBRP muffler delete pipes. I'm estimating that this will save around 40 lbs (will weigh GT mufflers and subtract delete pipes for the final figure). I'm expecting the noise to go up a little bit but still be quieter than typical aftermarket exhausts with straight through mufflers.

I did some search and couldn't find any EBs running Magnaflow XL mufflers. Diagram for the XL shows that it's a three-chambered design, similar to GT ones but with perforated inner pipes for better flow. Anyone here has experience with this or similar mufflers?
MUFFLER10-1.png
Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I am intrigued please post sound clips when done. I am all for saving weight. Not a fan of of the 4 cyl sound so if there is a way to upgrade without much of a volume increase it may be tempting.

OP
OP
Bull Run

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
I'll record some before and after clips. Since recording can change sounds, I'll also measure the before and after noise level using Decibel X on an iPhone. Any recommendations on how far to place the phone from the tailpipe for recording and measuring?

OP
OP
Bull Run

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
No, as the GT resonator has dual in dual out so it can't be used unless I add a 3" to dual Y-pipe in front of it. Besides, Magnaflow XL is about 11 lbs so it should be lighter as well.

Borla Pro XS in the current setup is basically a Y pipe in a glass pack muffler, so its noise reduction is probably minimal. Magnaflow XL in the new setup will replace the single-to-dual pipe split function of the Borla Pro XS, while also replacing GT mufflers via noise reduction through its three-chambers.

Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I'll record some before and after clips. Since recording can change sounds, I'll also measure the before and after noise level using Decibel X on an iPhone. Any recommendations on how far to place the phone from the tailpipe for recording and measuring?
I would once at 10 ft and once at 50 ft

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
I'm interested in this. I'm doing something with a GT catback and catless DP. Just don't know what yet. Can't find any videos with catless DP's.

roskorocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost mustang - bone stock (for now)
this is intriguing. I've seen some other people replace the resonator with a muffler and straight pipe it from there. I think they were all straight through design mufflers and seem to be on the louder side. I'd love the hear this once you are done.

ZenkaiRacer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT AT
[ame]

Sounds like its going to be similar to this. I've always thought this sounds better then any catback out tbh.

He has another vid showcasing the underside and how its put together. There's also a vid of a red car with the same setup with a few short revs.

OP
OP
Bull Run

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
Sounds like its going to be similar to this. I've always thought this sounds better then any catback out tbh.

He has another vid showcasing the underside and how its put together. There's also a vid of a red car with the same setup with a few short revs.
Thanks for posting but I've seen that one before. He's running a Magnaflow 12268 which is basically a Y-pipe in a muffler, similar to the Borla Pro XS that I'm running. So my setup minus the GT mufflers should sound close to his, maybe a little louder due to 3" DP and hi-flow cat.

I'm hoping that the chambered design of 13288 will be a little quieter since it's not a straight through like 12268.

I'm hoping

Sponsored

Rc18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
6mt-rc-18eb
Vehicle Showcase
I did something similar with my custom setup. Used a magna ripoff 3" inlet straight through louvered glass filled core, to dual 2.5" outlets muffler from eBay. In the stock resonator spot. Retained the stock oa pipes, painted em black to blend better under the car. New muffler sections terminating in 3.5" slash cut double wall rolled edge burnt tips.

Total cost only $285. Saved 25-30# I'd guess. Sounds good to, like stock just more of a rumble at idle&turbo noises. Only resonates if you lug it going uphill around 1900-2000rpm. It is hard to get this motor imo to sound good:shrug:
So I'm happy with some more flow, a few cooler turbo type noises, and saving some weight. Oh plus the exhaust tips with the other stuff really look killer imo:headbang:

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
That is the setup I am basically running Part#13216 which is the 14" long unit, with the rest of the setup being the MAP turbo back exhaust (Minus the original mufflers I cut them off for the Magnaflow mufflers). 3" catless DP, to a 3" to dual 2.5" Y-pipe with two what looks to be Vibrant resonators, into the Magnaflow mufflers.

OP
OP
Bull Run

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
That is the setup I am basically running Part#13216 which is the 14" long unit, with the rest of the setup being the MAP turbo back exhaust (Minus the original mufflers I cut them off for the Magnaflow mufflers). 3" catless DP, to a 3" to dual 2.5" Y-pipe with two what looks to be Vibrant resonators, into the Magnaflow mufflers.
How do you like it and do you have a clip for it? It'll be interesting to see how one muffler doing the job of two mufflers and resonators will sound like, but I'm willing to accept a little increase in noise for weight reduction.

Edit: Did see a clip posted on your channel but it's hard to tell the difference between the Magnaflow and MAP mufflers due to the background noise.

Last edited:

GuardEcoBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard 16 Ecoboost
I bought the Hooker blackheart catback with no mufflers. I have not put it on yet. I will probably add a resonator as I believe it maybe a touch too loud even tho I am going for loud. If your exhaust sounds good, I may go that way with the muffler.