Question On Steeda Diff Bushing Inserts

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
Ok so I'm confused about something. Unless the pinion angle changes why would reinforcing the mount bushings on the differential cause "gear whine"?
Sponsored

OP
OP
WD Pro

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks all that replied :like:

I have the steeda inserts on the way and I will install the red bushings :like:

WD :like:

OP
OP
WD Pro

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Ok so I'm confused about something. Unless the pinion angle changes why would reinforcing the mount bushings on the differential cause "gear whine"?
They doesn’t increase the whine - they just have the potential to transfer it to the cabin more due to the increased mount stiffness :like:

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
They doesn’t increase the whine - they just have the potential to transfer it to the cabin more due to the increased mount stiffness :like:

That's what I've been thinking. So if that's the case why all this talk about swapping gear oils, etc.?

OP
OP
WD Pro

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I can only think that different oils have different sound deadening properties due to thickness and additives etc - I’m not an expert in either of these subjects though :like:

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
heavier oil resists breakdown under shear and heat. Sound has nothing to do with it.

Last edited:

rs2.royc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Roush Stage 2
I'm not sure if I was just unlucky, but just wanted to provide a PSA . Once you install the bushing inserts, it is recommended to go back after 100 miles, 500 miles, and so on to check on the bolts. I got mine installed at one of their vendors and was not told about this. 1 year later, one of the bolts snapped and the insert popped out. I called Steeda and was told it should be checked on often. Now I'm waiting for hardware kit and a replacement halfshaft :\

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
I'm not sure if I was just unlucky, but just wanted to provide a PSA . Once you install the bushing inserts, it is recommended to go back after 100 miles, 500 miles, and so on to check on the bolts. I got mine installed at one of their vendors and was not told about this. 1 year later, one of the bolts snapped and the insert popped out. I called Steeda and was told it should be checked on often. Now I'm waiting for hardware kit and a replacement halfshaft :\
Ugh...what happened to your half-shaft? All I've heard is a re-torque of the front/rear bolts at 100 miles. The rears are 129 Ft. Lbs. The fronts are WAY less, but you can't really reach them with a torque wrench anyway. So a really big wrench and give it some pulls.

The IRS bolts in the front are 129 ft. lbs as well. By the way all of these are supposed to be put in with blue locktite, but at 129 ft. lbs they generally shouldn't go anywhere anyway. The fronts - they could definitely loosen up.

Sponsored

UglyMutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I agree with most of you on the diff whine. I just did a stop the hop kit and added the red diff bushings. I have some pretty noticeable diff whine now that I'm not too happy about but the car does feel good. I'm going to drive for a while and see if I get used to it. What's annoying about it is that it is a pretty high pitch whine in my case. I've had some trans whine in different cars but it wasn't that annoying because it was lower pitch.

And I bet steeda is right,... that you would have little to no increased NVH with these bushings if you ONLY have these bushings. But who does that? By the time you have the subframe braces, aluminum subframe bushing inserts, alignment kit AND diff inserts installed you are going to have less options on where that vibration and noise can go without being noticed. It's just the nature of reducing the isolation and compliance of a system.

Oh and anyone who wants to be able to torque everything. You can do it with an offset adapter. You will need to read about how these change the torque but I'm not going to get into the weeds about that here. They make closed end, open end and some hook types ive used in the past.

https://www.mcmaster.com/torque-wrench-adapters/box-end-tight-clearance-offset-sockets-10/

turbofiveoh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang

Michaelrod813

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 oxford white 50 year anniversary pp 6spd
From Steeda USA
take 3-4 hours to install and force you to permanently modify the rear IRS suspension with a sawzall, Steeda's does not! Our kit installs in under 1 hour, adds little to no increase in NVH , is adjustable and can be easily removed - it simply doesn't get any better than this!

Blue Mustang thanks for the heads up. I will pass this along to Steeda UK

Steeda Tech

This is so far from true, these add a LOT of NVH lol.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I had to remove the front subframe bolts completely, and loosen the rear bolts quite a bit to get the front to come down far enough. Obviously, just make sure you are supporting the differential with a jack and let it come down slowly
I had at least 1/2" gap at the rear subframe bolts, and the fronts completely removed. There was no way to start the shorter front bolts.

Thanks - I have done is already twice (loosened subrame / removed bolts) while replacing rear springs and installing subframe bushing supports but I've seen people saying that that front diff bolts are difficult to install on 18+ since whatever limits the space there is different from 15-17. Thanks again.
On my 2019 car, the gas tank and its heat shield are so close to the subframe that there is only enough space to slip the red bushings in place, but not enough to put in the bolt, including starting from any angle.

It seems to me that the entire subrame would have to be dropped, but I've always had at least two blue bolts installed, and I really don't care to do that just because of this mod.

What's the secret to get the shorter front bolts in?

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Update:
I gave it another attempt yesterday to get the front inserts and bolts installed. What a waste of 5 hours! I called Steeda twice and talked to their tech (a good guy), but none of his suggestions provided any more clearance between the fuel tank and subframe. :angry:

I removed the Steeda subframe alignment sleeves from the blue rear bolts, and lowered the subframe by about 1/2".
I removed the front blue subframe bolts entirely. (With jack support.)
I disconnected the shocks from the control arms.

I suggest Steeda offer a "half kit" at half the price: rear 110mm bolts & washers, and 2 puck inserts.
Sponsored