Question about rev limiter

BkaayRandy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oziel
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I have a 17 5.0 with gt350 intake mani and the rev limiter is tuned at 8.2k rpm, what type of damage should I expect if any if I continue to shift around 8k? & what exactly happens to a car when you start going past the red line?
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It's harder on the timing chains, it can cause stretch and tensioner failure earlier than intended. It's also harder on the rods because of the higher angular acceleration, but since they're meant to handle it it's not as big of a deal.

If this is wrong, someone feel free to correct me.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I have a 17 5.0 with gt350 intake mani and the rev limiter is tuned at 8.2k rpm, what type of damage should I expect if any if I continue to shift around 8k? & what exactly happens to a car when you start going past the red line?
Regardless of what your rev limiter is set for consistently exceeding the engines limits will result in severe damage.

What type of damage? Take you pick. Block, heads, pistons, rods, crankshaft. Honestly it’s like asking which bones will I break if I jump off a building.

By the way, why don’t you just reset the limiter?

OP
OP
BkaayRandy

BkaayRandy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oziel
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Regardless of what your rev limiter is set for consistently exceeding the engines limits will result in severe damage.

What type of damage? Take you pick. Block, heads, pistons, rods, crankshaft. Honestly it’s like asking which bones will I break if I jump off a building.

By the way, why don’t you just reset the limiter?
Ah ok, yeah I had a feeling the effects wouldn’t be good. I really only go past redline when I race, so I haven’t thought about resetting the limiter for that reason. I appreciate the info though, I’ll definitely keep all of that in mind the next time I think about running my car

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Dunno, maybe
Dunno, I might be a bit wary about things like valve spring fatigue/loss of spring load and possible increases in transmission gear tooth wear rates. That's just off the top of my head; there's probably more.

Having built up a few engines myself, I'd personally want to know a good bit more about production balancing and clearances.

Norm

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Having raced SCCA for quite a few years I can say constantly red lining and abusing an engine will rapidly destroy it. For us it wasn't a big concern because we would regularly rebuild/refresh an engine every 2-3 years. It you have the time and budget for that, then feel free to thrash the $h!t out of it.

Last edited:

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I would NEVER, EVER rev my stock engine above the stock rev limiter (ever after bolt-on mods), let alone that much more. Remember your 2017 revs less than our 2018+ engines (7,000?), which redline at 7,400, with a rev limit of 7,500. So you're over-revving the crap out of your engine man. It's just plain stupid. And it's probably worse than just shifting earlier anyway. But it's your car.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Ford performance packs 1, 2 and 3 raise the rev limiter up to 7400 on the 3 and 7200 I believe on my 2
So, being warranted, I will assume that 7400 is a limit that Ford believe to be safe

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Ford performance packs 1, 2 and 3 raise the rev limiter up to 7400 on the 3 and 7200 I believe on my 2
So, being warranted, I will assume that 7400 is a limit that Ford believe to be safe
If so, 8200 rpm is still about 11% higher than that. Meaning that the accelerations and resulting inertial forces involved would be about 21% higher. That's way too much to just hand-wave away on the basis of 7400 being "safe".

And that doesn't really address the matter of fatigue.

Norm

Sponsored

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
I’m 7100 shift in D and 7500 shift in S on gear shift lever. ;).

CrackedHorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Mustang GT/CS; 15 Mustang GT
There's a difference between driving at 6k7500k and shifting at 7500k-8k.

The 5.0 can spin pretty well compared to several other designes. Especially pushrod engines

Nickel

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Handling Package TR3160 w/Recaros
In reality, the internals of the gen 2+ coyote can handle 8k rpms. It's the oil pump gears that would probably go first. Get yourself some billet oil pump gears, drive it the way you want to, and then report back to us.

OP
OP
BkaayRandy

BkaayRandy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oziel
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I would NEVER, EVER rev my stock engine above the stock rev limiter (ever after bolt-on mods), let alone that much more. Remember your 2017 revs less than our 2018+ engines (7,000?), which redline at 7,400, with a rev limit of 7,500. So you're over-revving the crap out of your engine man. It's just plain stupid. And it's probably worse than just shifting earlier anyway. But it's your car.
Yeah man, the 17’s rev limit is 6,500 so going that far into the red zone worries me, after reading what everyone has to say I’m just going to reset the rev limiter back to 6,500 and be more careful, I really want this car to last a lifetime.
Sponsored