2015 GT premium, 2003 350z, 1978 280z
^ You can pull the timing cover without removing the TB
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Bumping this up as apposed to starting a new thread as I'm in the same dilemma but was thinking of going a different option.

Has anyone considered doing the 2018 Gen 3 Coyote damper? It seems like they have an updated design being viscous and makes sense since they did up the rev limiter to I think 7500rpm stock.

I found the part number from a local Ford dealer but they don't have it in stock, however found it on Koons website for alot less at $150. Might be worth considering it if it fits, it's 1/3 the price of the ATI and I'm sure it offers some improvement. Although I do still think the ATI is a superior piece.

JR3Z-6312-A

09jsw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard PP GT
For me not having anyone near me that I trust to install is a factor. Also I have seen better safe than sorry a million times so far, but nobody who actually broke the stock parts yet. Aren't there some heavy track users here that did not upgrade it?

Not saying it is bad to get it, but it is not cheap, and sounds like you need a really good mechanic to install it. Given that there is not a top mechanic within an hour of me, I think I am better of with the stock parts rather than having a standard mechanic open my engine to install this.

If I were near a great mechanic that I trust, I may do it at the time of the S/C installation (probably cheaper at that point) just for peace of mind even though there is no data to warrant the install.
Friend of mine does road racing. Took his engine apart to replace them after a season only to find his stock gears shattered. His engine blew up not long after that. It does happen you just won’t see it on this small forum as much.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Friend of mine does road racing. Took his engine apart to replace them after a season only to find his stock gears shattered. His engine blew up not long after that. It does happen you just won’t see it on this small forum as much.
so he did a season of racing no problem, opened his motor to replace them and they were already shattered? and his engine "blew up" did it blow up when he shut it off? i dont get it. i would imagine the sudden lost of oil pressure would be apparent if they shattered during use.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
The whole I don't need them for a street car seems extremely counter intuitive to me. On the street particularly in a FI application is where you are exponentially more likely to spin the tires and "accidentally" bang the rev limiter which is prob the single biggest contributor to failure.

Sponsored

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
The whole I don't need them for a street car seems extremely counter intuitive to me. On the street particularly in a FI application is where you are exponentially more likely to spin the tires and "accidentally" bang the rev limiter which is prob the single biggest contributor to failure.
at what point though? how many roush cars running around? now granted their tuning is pretty safe. but they dont change them.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Very conservative tuning, and a much lower soft rev limiter. 7,500+ rpm and chattering load like 2-step/rev limiter is the prob.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Very conservative tuning, and a much lower soft rev limiter. 7,500+ rpm and chattering load like 2-step/rev limiter is the prob.
how many are going over 7500 and using a 2 step? no one local to me is. so im not sure how common this is

09jsw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard PP GT
so he did a season of racing no problem, opened his motor to replace them and they were already shattered? and his engine "blew up" did it blow up when he shut it off? i dont get it. i would imagine the sudden lost of oil pressure would be apparent if they shattered during use.
Car ran fine. Put it back together with new cams(the reson it was torn down) and opg. Got tuned and ran ok. Few laps in piston 6 came apart.

Sean@LethalPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang 5.0
I would say its definitely worth the investment to go with the added insurance of the oil pump gear and sprocket when these cars are being paired with boost. Spend the $1,000 now instead of chancing getting hit with an unexpected bill of $7-9k for a new motor later.

Sponsored

09jsw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard PP GT
This has got to be the funniest topic people try to get around.
It reminds me of the Honda and focus Car sceen. The cost of these parts is as little as 200$ to save you from a 7000$ bill yet they will argue the point saying the factory boosted cars don’t have them.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
This has got to be the funniest topic people try to get around.
It reminds me of the Honda and focus Car sceen. The cost of these parts is as little as 200$ to save you from a 7000$ bill yet they will argue the point saying the factory boosted cars don’t have them.
10's of thousands of dollars on the car, thousands more in fi and other mods, doesn't want to spend $400 on opg's... But then again the honda scene puts $5,000 wheels on a $2,000 car with a $5,000 stereo...:headbonk:

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
not everyone has 1500 to piss away on something theyre not even sure they need. its understandable to debate if you need them. im pretty sure everyone will say if youre going boost and have the money then ya why not. but if your budget is maxed and you just want 600whp do you need it? like I said how many non driving fools have roush cars. they upgrade axles but not OPG. i know a lot of the test cars dont get upgrade OPGs

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Car ran fine. Put it back together with new cams(the reson it was torn down) and opg. Got tuned and ran ok. Few laps in piston 6 came apart.
so car ran fine with busted OPG?

RYAN97812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 PP
Would you bang a hooker without a condom? How much of a risk taker are you? Stick to 600 RWHP on a factory Roush tune with a warranty and it's like banging your wife, you'll go bareback everyday
Sponsored