Sponsored

2015 Mustang whipple SC oil pump gears

Junon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Ok I haven't seen anyone talk about it but it's something I was told to do if I planned on running a high horsepower setup. I'm hoping Dustin or someone from whipple can give some insight to this. Is there a danger or any known situations with the oil pumps on the 15s + with boost ? I've had so many people tell me I should swap out the stock oil pump gears to save my motor, I'm sure it's always better to be safe then sorry but wondering how necessary is it. I'm running 3.75 pulley with 132mm throttle and 72lb injectors.

So called mustang dyno my car put down 672/486
Dyno jet 707/528
12lbs of boost

Just want to know if it's really recommended to swap out the gears. Thanks and sorry if someone has posted it but I didn't see it on any search.
Sponsored

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Glad you posted he question, I've only been reading his section for a couple of weeks didn't know it was an issue, or that it wasn't. [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Werty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 PP GT
You don't need it. Whipple with their Ford engineers did a TON of testing at this power level to determine the kit wouldn't break something. If they didn't do their homework the kits would be blowing up engines left and right and their business would fall off a cliff.

Loads of people have been running them hard now for over a year. I haven't seen any failures yet.

Also remember the kit is used on the shelby super snake and other company builds. They wouldn't be using it if they thought or knew the kit would break the OPG.

That being said...if you want added peace of mind go for it.

Sponsored

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
The oil pump is designed to push 5w20 oil at 210F at 7000rpm with some margin. :thumbsup:
If you run much lower temperature thermostat that keeps the coolant, block, and built in oil cooler down at 180F, then the cooler oil will increase pumping forces and load on the oil pump gears and use up some of that margin.
If you run an oil that resists flow more than 5w-20 (5w30,10w30,5w40) you eat up even more margin.
If you run no tstat at the drag strip and ice the motor for your first pass and run straight 50W and shift at 8000rpm you will prolly bust the pump first run.:eyebulge:

So stick with 5w20 and especially 5w20 full synthetic which thickens less than blended conventional oil when cool. Make sure your CHT is at least 180F before going WOT to 7000rpm and above. Run the Whipple supplied tstat. ... And your stock oil pump will prolly be just fine:clap2:

Sooo, you might ask, do you want to run a heavier oil cause that just sounds "tougher"? Thats covered in other threads, but the short answer is 5w20 full synthetic that meets the most recent Ford spec is the best oil for most year round street conditions according to Ford engineers and they are so confident they offer warranty coverage thru Ford and Roush and I think Whipple too. :headbang::cheers:

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
We were making mid to high 800rwhp on our Whipple powered 2015 GT and went 9.7@150mph with it on the stock motor with stock OPG's.

[ame]

Travis@boostworks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boostworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I think that It's just the bad luck of the draw with these pump gears. We just had a set fail at 5500rpm during a WOT pull.

Shift points were 7200rpm, and we were at 677whp.

I used to be able to say that we've never had a set fail, but that's not the case any longer. You cannot "tune" for oil pump gear longevity.. We were at a very safe and conservative tune with a few gallons of 105 unleaded mixed in for good measure. 14 degrees, .77 lambda, and zero knock.

Travis@boostworks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boostworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
You don't need it. Whipple with their Ford engineers did a TON of testing at this power level to determine the kit wouldn't break something. If they didn't do their homework the kits would be blowing up engines left and right and their business would fall off a cliff.

Loads of people have been running them hard now for over a year. I haven't seen any failures yet.

Also remember the kit is used on the shelby super snake and other company builds. They wouldn't be using it if they thought or knew the kit would break the OPG.

That being said...if you want added peace of mind go for it.
You cannot add safety for pump gears through tuning.. We've built a ton of cars in the last year and this is our first failure.

OP
OP

Junon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Thanks guys for sharing insight and knowledge on this. I'm sure there are so many other people that can benefit from this information. Considering the car is still not that old I'm sure many new experiences will pop up and I hope people get on and share them as well. I baby the car and haven't done any track as of yet. I plan to but wanted to see if I could hold off on doing the work due to finances. Adding the whipple was no small thing but before I go hard on the car I want to make sure to avoid any mishaps that could be prevented with strengthening other components.

Again I look forward to hearing more input as far as the s550 is concerned with this. Will be some time before I can get my OPG done. Which may keep me off the track for this season but there's always next year.

Sponsored

zaquhree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 GT
You cannot add safety for pump gears through tuning.. We've built a ton of cars in the last year and this is our first failure.
The only thing I know that a "tune" can do is to help mitigate high rpm failure with different limiters

Superman15

Shake n Bake
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP Oxford White
50th thread on this subject. Do a search and do some reading. The word "need" is pretty strong here. I "wanted" the piece of mind.. so I bought them.

OP
OP

Junon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I guess it just bums you out superman that's there's yet another thread it bothers you so much. Go troll somewhere else obviously others were here to answer the thread if you have nothing productive to say keep it shut. Some don't have all day in front of A computer to search every inch of the forums. I ran a "search" of oil pump gears and didn't get my answer so obviously I started a thread pertaining to my situation which in your eyes may be basic but others in sure appreciate the 50th thread cause I don't see them complaining. Lethal performance took the time to respond as well. Go troll somewhere else

Superman15

Shake n Bake
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP Oxford White
I guess it just bums you out superman that's there's yet another thread it bothers you so much. Go troll somewhere else obviously others were here to answer the thread if you have nothing productive to say keep it shut. Some don't have all day in front of A computer to search every inch of the forums. I ran a "search" of oil pump gears and didn't get my answer so obviously I started a thread pertaining to my situation which in your eyes may be basic but others in sure appreciate the 50th thread cause I don't see them complaining. Lethal performance took the time to respond as well. Go troll somewhere else
I'm a troll? Dude you joined like an hour ago. I am just saying this EXACT topic has been discussed in sooo many threads, that ALL of this info is already on the forums many times over. No need to get so angry just cause you're a lazy f*ck and you don't wana spend 5 minutes searching. Either way, I am glad you got the answers you were looking for and enjoy the car :)
Sponsored