OP
OP

V8Stang15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT - Race Red
So, big update:

I've supercharged a Mustang before (my "2013 Mustang 650R Project" linked below) and I was dead-set on just building a bad-ass, high-revving NA build this time around. I suppose you all know where I'm going with this: I think I'm ditching the coyote/voodoo hybrid and just supercharging this bad boy.

I haven't decided 100%, but here are some reasons why this build might change:

1. Superchargers make more sense for my lifestyle. I daily drive the car, mainly on the highway, and I hit the drag strip once a year or so (never have nor likely will end up on a road course because of the distance from the nearest road course and price of track days compared to drag strips). A high-revving, brutal engine may not be best for daily driving, since a supercharger can more or less remain dormant until needed, and on the highway I'd get more fun out of blasting 650rwhp than 500rwhp.

2. The price for both projects actually favors the supercharger... by a large margin. If I just wanted to put on the 350 IM and tune and call it a day, that'd be one thing... but then that's hardly a hybrid project, is it? To do just heads, intake manifold, and tune I'd be at the price of a supercharger after install, maybe more... and that still leaves the 5.2 block off the table.

3. Things have changed with reference to the redline since I supercharged the 13 GT. I guess the beefier internals of the 15/16 GT over the previous gen Coyote have allowed tuners to easily push even supercharged engines to 7500RPM. That's all I need! I originally wanted to rev near or at 8k, thus the NA build seemed like a lock, but I hear of Whipple and ProCharged 15s running to a 7500 redline all day no problem. When I did the 13, almost everyone on forums and even my own tuner said the 7k stock redline was the MAX they'd push a car on stock internals pushing anything around 600rwhp or more. Maybe I just ran into a bunch of conservatives, or maybe they were right; but regardless, it seems like things have changed and revving anything over 7k RPM while having a supercharger sounds like heaven to me!

So, I'm still up in the air. Any input is appreciated. Below, as mentioned before, are my videos on the 650R Project.

[ame]

[ame]

[ame]

[ame]

EDIT: I ALSO ADDED A REVIEW OF THE AMR WHEELS AND MT TIRES TO THE FIRST POST.

Last edited:

Sponsored

VTECSAUCE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB PP GT w/ RECARO's & ITR swapped '94 hatch
I will more than likely stay NA for a plethora of reasons. One being that I have a GTPP so id like to get good use out of the shorter gearing. I feel boost would be better with longer gears. My next and probably biggest reason is that 435 bhp is already plenty for me. I am used to NA Hondas, a boosted V8 is just overkill for what id need. I am still stock minus mufflers and an x pipe. I fully enjoy the car as is and I still have peace of mind that I have warranty just in case. As time progresses I will slowly start modifying the car. I like your original plan, however, I don't foresee myself changing heads or the block. I think the motor is stout as is. Intake, intake manifold, headers and a tune should be more than enough to put me in prison if I had the misfortune of giving a little gas on the highway with a cop present. I am more of a curvy mountain road carver than a straight line guy. I'd like to get as much weight out of the front end as possible. Boost is not going to help that. 450-500whp would be perfect for me. Enough to keep the typical Honda and Subarus in their place but not so much that i'm blowing through tires and gas. In the back of my mind I also think I may trade up for a used Shelby as they get older and more dated, therefore more available.

Cliff notes: I'd like to see a solid NA build as nobody does them. I also know boost is cheaper and easier, so I understand you taking that route. Do what you think fits your wants and needs.

OP
OP

V8Stang15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT - Race Red
I will more than likely stay NA for a plethora of reasons. One being that I have a GTPP so id like to get good use out of the shorter gearing. I feel boost would be better with longer gears. My next and probably biggest reason is that 435 bhp is already plenty for me. I am used to NA Hondas, a boosted V8 is just overkill for what id need. I am still stock minus mufflers and an x pipe. I fully enjoy the car as is and I still have peace of mind that I have warranty just in case. As time progresses I will slowly start modifying the car. I like your original plan, however, I don't foresee myself changing heads or the block. I think the motor is stout as is. Intake, intake manifold, headers and a tune should be more than enough to put me in prison if I had the misfortune of giving a little gas on the highway with a cop present. I am more of a curvy mountain road carver than a straight line guy. I'd like to get as much weight out of the front end as possible. Boost is not going to help that. 450-500whp would be perfect for me. Enough to keep the typical Honda and Subarus in their place but not so much that i'm blowing through tires and gas. In the back of my mind I also think I may trade up for a used Shelby as they get older and more dated, therefore more available.

Cliff notes: I'd like to see a solid NA build as nobody does them. I also know boost is cheaper and easier, so I understand you taking that route. Do what you think fits your wants and needs.
I'm still teetering on the line between options.

[ame]