OP

1320INC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange GT
$139 ebay catless downpipe install and review coming up.
20181224_094449.jpg

GuardEcoBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard 16 Ecoboost
How does the melted cylinder look? What about the crank?

OP
OP

1320INC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange GT
Cylinder wall is scuffed up. Im not sure how much you can bore these. Crank looks fine.

OP
OP

1320INC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange GT
How does the melted cylinder look? What about the crank?
Id like to retract my " crank is fine statement". like i said, im not sure what the machining tolerances are on any of these parts. Crank will need turned for sure. Under better light and cleaned up it has some signs of lack of oiling. Not sure i understand the piston oil squirters. If you block them off wouldnt you be able to create more oil pressure that coats everything rather than the area they are aimed at?

Sponsored

GuardEcoBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard 16 Ecoboost
Id like to retract my " crank is fine statement". like i said, im not sure what the machining tolerances are on any of these parts. Crank will need turned for sure. Under better light and cleaned up it has some signs of lack of oiling. Not sure i understand the piston oil squirters. If you block them off wouldnt you be able to create more oil pressure that coats everything rather than the area they are aimed at?
That is true, but the piston squirters are also used to cool the piston.

OP
OP

1320INC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange GT
I see manufacturers selling block offs for those and a counterweight delete. That thing is huge and extremely heavy. You are sopping up a ton of power turning it, maybe more.

GuardEcoBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard 16 Ecoboost
Its common to do a balance shaft delete on these engines.

OP
OP

1320INC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange GT
Am i to assume that monstrosity bolted to the crank girdle/main cap is the balance shaft? No wonder the engine takes 6 qts of oil.

Sponsored
OP
OP

1320INC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange GT
Well after having some conversations with people who know more than me i have determined that my original engine suffered from a multitude of issues causing its demise. The main issue being Low Speed Pre Ignition or LSPI. The damage and subsequent tear down pics show this. The faulty pcv system that should have been replaced by the previous owner was also a huge factor. It allowed more oil deposits to enter the combustion chamber, these oil deposits contributed to the LSPI condition. The quality of the oil and frequency of the changes were also to blame. It has been proven that oil with high levels of certain detergents will cause detonation in the combustion chamber no matter how much timing is pulled. Being a small turbocharged direct injected engine also contributed to the demise. Also last but certainly not least, the quality of the pistons in these engines limit their ability to handle pre-detonation or full on detonation.

Last edited:

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Would the low side pressure sensor that has been recommended iniother threads have prevented this or no? I ask cause I am getting the itch to tune but this is why I am scared to do so.

OP
OP

1320INC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange GT
Would the low side pressure sensor that has been recommended iniother threads have prevented this or no? I ask cause I am getting the itch to tune but this is why I am scared to do so.
The low side pressure sensor would have absolutely nothing to do with this. I say that with confidence because I am still running the same low side pressure sensor that was in the blown motor, just as a little theory i have. I dont believe that tunes are hurting these motors. Its just the general design of them. Being a turbo charged direct injection motor creates enough of a challenging task. Ford thought that pulling timing out would protect this engine. Unfortunately the low speed pre ignition was not on fords radar. Even with the best fuel and the most conservative tune, this is still happening. The oil sits above the top ring and creates the pre-detonation. Like i previously stated, the " wal-mart" pistons ford chose are an absolute travesty. After having them in my hands, yes, they are subpar for anything other than a naturally aspirated 9-1 engine.

OP
OP

1320INC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange GT
Replaced the driver rear hub (had an abs, tract control, no cruise etc) anyway its swapped out and lights are off and everything is working as it should. Those little thrust washers only job is to keep the dissimilar metals from seizing onto each other. Axle puller tool actually pulled old hub in 2. Other side was seized onto spindle.

All fixed and now loading my 91 octane Palm Beach Dyno tune on it.
20190105_123223.jpg
20190105_123215.jpg
20190105_115701.jpg
20190105_123242.jpg
20190105_115654.jpg
1546718360984786709529425399626.jpg
Sponsored