Sponsored

Pro Cup 2 Advice - Low Temp Driving

cjs229

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
After several delays, my M1 is finally due between Nov 14 and the 25th (hopefully). My concern is that it’s being delivered to Chapman near Philly and I live in Baltimore. I can’t guarantee that the temps will be above 50 degF anymore, especially at the end of November. How safe is it to drive about 100 miles on them until I can get it home and put a set of rims with all seasons on it? Now, what rims and tires are a subject of another thread…
Sponsored

swoop1156

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach HP, 22 Raptor 37PP, 22 Cayenne Turbo SE
Hope that there's no early snow or rain. Just keep your foot out of it and don't be an idiot. It's hard enough in the DMV to drive.

jamus34

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
'23 Mach 1 (on order)
You have access to a truck or SUV that can tow ~5000 lb? Rent a Uhaul car carrier if you are really worried.

OP
OP
cjs229

cjs229

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
You have access to a truck or SUV that can tow ~5000 lb? Rent a Uhaul car carrier if you are really worried.
Ha! No, I don’t think my Escape will do the job, but a U-haul may not be a bad idea.

NJMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Trackhawk-2" Kooks, pully, CAI, cat back
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Uhaul trailers are neat but car would almost certainly need additional ramps to go up the trailer and not damage the splitter / underbody.

Beside - if OP has no experience with towing (Uhaul trailer have surge brakes) and no experience with loading car on the trailer, driving 100 miles on Sport Cup 2s IMO is much better bet than trying to tow.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
If the weather is dry you will be fine if you take it easy, very easy. If there is any chance of precipitation I’d rethink picking up the car that day. Cold temps and rain are a very bad combination for Cup 2’s.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
40* is the lowest safe number. Going to describe how the tire reacts & feels when cold.

And can be detected and is repeatable before you drive 10ft. Just move the car as in backing, and make a hard turn. The tire skips on the pavement as it jumps and loses traction, and a noticeable bump is felt. To me, it felt like the tire all of a sudden became a square block of hard rubber.

That will go away in a reasonably short distance, this is starting out, dead cold reaction of the tire.

That said and never having clocked it 5 - 10 miles later, the tire will warm and can be driven safely. Have short hilly & curvey roads where I live.

To be clear I know nothing about Philly and Baltimore weather. If you have any doubts and a set of wheels before the car is delivered.

Might be well advised to ask the salesmen if you bring the wheels to them before delivery.

So when they are preparing the car they could put wheels on. Then take someone with you, to pick up the Mustang.

Rent a car one-way trip. load up the wheels and drive home.

OP
OP
cjs229

cjs229

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Uhaul trailers are neat but car would almost certainly need additional ramps to go up the trailer and not damage the splitter / underbody.

Beside - if OP has no experience with towing (Uhaul trailer have surge brakes) and no experience with loading car on the trailer, driving 100 miles on Sport Cup 2s IMO is much better bet than trying to tow.
I’ve plenty of towing experience, but wouldn’t trust myself with getting in on the trailer safely. Good advice.

OP
OP
cjs229

cjs229

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
40* is the lowest safe number. Going to describe how the tire reacts & feels when cold.

And can be detected and is repeatable before you drive 10ft. Just move the car as in backing, and make a hard turn. The tire skips on the pavement as it jumps and loses traction, and a noticeable bump is felt. To me, it felt like the tire all of a sudden became a square block of hard rubber.

That will go away in a reasonably short distance, this is starting out, dead cold reaction of the tire.

That said and never having clocked it 5 - 10 miles later, the tire will warm and can be driven safely. Have short hilly & curvey roads where I live.

To be clear I know nothing about Philly and Baltimore weather. If you have any doubts and a set of wheels before the car is delivered.

Might be well advised to ask the salesmen if you bring the wheels to them before delivery.

So when they are preparing the car they could put wheels on. Then take someone with you, to pick up the Mustang.

Rent a car one-way trip. load up the wheels and drive home.
Thanks for the insight. I want to have my new wheels on hand, but I also don’t want to be stuck with them if this deal falls through for any reason. I’ve been down this road before where I bought a bunch of parts for a car I didn’t have. It showed up with a gigantic gash down the side, and a bunch of mechanical issues that the dealer never could fix. That was 20 years ago, but once bitten, twice shy. I’ll definitely wait for a dry day.

Sponsored

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
Do you have an AAA autoclub membership?
If so, have it towed on a flatbed home. iirc. up to 100 mile tow is a once a year deal. but if you have it, use it.

TrackMeisterWannabe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 w/HP
Might want to do a little more research on this. My recollection from earlier reading is that driving below 45 degrees can cause permanent damage to the tires. When in doubt reach out to the manufacturer. Just make sure you tell them which Cup 2s you have. They are not all the same compound. Nothing like having Murphy paying a visit next spring when you are at warp speed...

VictorH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Victor
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
100 miles is nothing. Unless it's freezing or snowing you should be fine. I'd suggest, before you leave the dealer, you check the tire pressures. They will likely be around 40 psi (mine were) which will make cold weather traction worse. Lower them to 32-34 range and you should be good. Notwithstanding the cautions already mentioned above.

IanKar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Mustang Mach1 HP A10; 22 Shelby GT500 HP
Just remember the rain/snow mode if it gets to that...I got the Michelin Sport 4S and a 2nd set of rims so use those when off track. They do just fine. And just swop out. Also thinking of going square set-up for track one of these days.
Sponsored