Sponsored

Cup 2 tires in cold weather

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
HP has 305/30 R19 in the front so if someone put 275/40 R19 in the FRONT, there would be 6% diameter difference which is way outside of accepted tolerance.
again, nothing on the ECU gives a sigle damn what size tires are on the front OR the back. You make it sound as if the computer will go ape and lose it's mind if you change the rolling diameter of the tires. NO NO NO and NO! the computer doesn't give a damn what size is on a rim or even it's compound and grip characteristics.

Sure it might have a table that describes the Cup2 boundary conditions (eg. maximum brake system pressure) but when the abs sensors trip, it throws those assumptions out the window and deals with the fact that the all-season 285/35 that's is actually on the rim is giving up.

Nobody is stupid enough to write an ABS module that assumes the car has the same tires or wheel sizes as it came with new from the factory. I can replace my 27" tires with 22" and the computer DOES NOT CARE.
Sponsored

Last edited:

rbenedetti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RAV
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Navigator, Ford Explorer
Here the rule of thumb for winter tyres is:
a) use wheels with smaller diameter (i.e. tyres with higher profile)
b) use tyres which are narrow

ad a) the higher profile is supposed to better follow an uneven road
ad b) narrow tyres mean smaller contact surface i.e. greater pressure at the contact

The reason for both rules is that winter tyres here are really meant to be used in snow (eventually) and both a) and b) bring some advantages in this condition. If you however are only concerned about the lower temperatures, you may still profit from the change (i.e. smaller surface will probably be easier to warm up, also by using friction caused by greater pressure), but might not be that important.
Thanks for that. My primary goal is use a single set of tires that perform well in the summer and winter, with no expectation of driving it in the snow, as well as no expectation of track testing it. This car won't be my daily driver, especially in NJ, but I would hate to garage it for the entire winter, let alone put it on jacks to keep the tires from cracking! ;-) I think that the 275, 285 strategy should fit the bill.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
again, nothing on the ECU gives a sigle damn what size tires are on the front OR the back. You make it sound as if the computer will go ape and lose it's mind if you change the rolling diameter of the tires. NO NO NO and NO! the computer doesn't give a damn what size is on a rim or even it's compound and grip characteristics.
I see. Then I don't know why everyone recommends not to exceed 2-3% diameter difference if the car doesn't care. If the sole reason is incorrect values of speedometer / driven distance, then it'd be no big deal. Maybe other cars care more. I read this recommendation many times and even here bunch of times.

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
I see. Then I don't know why everyone recommends not to exceed 2-3% diameter difference if the car doesn't care. If the sole reason is incorrect values of speedometer / driven distance, then it'd be no big deal. Maybe other cars care more. I read this recommendation many times and even here bunch of times.
You are correct as far as rear tires and effect on speedometer which may than effect other things such as automatic transmission shift points. The fronts have no effect unless you go way beyond 5% . I Googled the ABS effect and it seems it compensates.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe other cars care more. I read this recommendation many times and even here bunch of times.
Audi Quattro "cares" but even that is probably WAAY overblown. Speedo inaccuracy (and mileage) is a complete nothing-burger but people panic over it for no good reason. If you have a Torsen you care about LEFT vs RIGHT on the rear axle but that's the end of it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Well with the help of 6G, Ebay, Craiglist, and TPMS.com (thanks @shogun32) I have cobbled together a set of wheels and all-season tires to run from Halloween till mid-April. New take-off base Mach 1 5-spoke wheels, used 255/40-19 Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS front tires with 9/32 tread, and used 275/40-19 General G-Max AS-05 rears with 8/32 tread. Total delivered cost including mount and balance is about $1,400. OK Ford, I am now ready to take delivery so feel free to build it LOL!

rbenedetti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RAV
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Navigator, Ford Explorer
Well, as some of you know, my order got cancelled, so I ended up buying a Camaro 2SS 1LE. I went into TireRack.com and shopped for tires based on the make, model, trim, and year, and BAM! Continental and Michelin Ultra-High Performance All Season tires came right up ;-) So much easier!

Last edited:

doritoking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 mach 1 with handling package
I ended up ordering the cooper zeon rs3-g1's in 305/30R19 for my handling package wheels. Will report back on how they compare to the cup 2's on street once I mount them (going to keep the cup 2's on for as long as I can).

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
I ended up ordering the cooper zeon rs3-g1's in 305/30R19 for my handling package wheels. Will report back on how they compare to the cup 2's on street once I mount them (going to keep the cup 2's on for as long as I can).
Have you considered a second set of wheels? Ford Performance has just released the HP wheels as a package with sensors and TPMS tool.

doritoking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you considered a second set of wheels? Ford Performance has just released the HP wheels as a package with sensors and TPMS tool.
Wouldn't really benefit me because I can't swap the wheels myself. Even with a separate set of wheels/tires I'd have to pay a shop to swap them for me (and pay for a storage service). I figure if I don't like the all seasons it would end up being cheaper to pay to have the tires swapped twice a year. On my previous car I had to drive 5 hours each way to my parents house where I stored my wheel/tires twice a year to swap them myself.

If the coopers are ok on the street I might just run them year round.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Wouldn't really benefit me because I can't swap the wheels myself
there's gotta be a M6G'er near you. What is your zipcode? If you're in Mennonite/Amish country just have them store the wheels in the barn - and tell them they are horse shoes.

doritoking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
there's gotta be a M6G'er near you. What is your zipcode? If you're in Mennonite/Amish country just have them store the wheels in the barn - and tell them they are horse shoes.
I'm in pittsburgh. Even with a place to store them I'd need a garage, jack, jack stands, and some tools to swap them since the ones I use are at my parents place. I'd also just rather pay someone else to do it because I really do not enjoy wrenching myself anymore.

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
I'm in pittsburgh. Even with a place to store them I'd need a garage, jack, jack stands, and some tools to swap them since the ones I use are at my parents place. I'd also just rather pay someone else to do it because I really do not enjoy wrenching myself anymore.
We (Pittsburgh) must have the highest per capita Mach 1 ownership in America. Where are you? I'm Irwin.

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
I can’t help but wonder what your insurance company would say if you tag some other car on the road and someone bothers to notice that the tires you were driving on were not approved for the weather conditions as per the manufacturer?
I had p zeros on my s6 that said do not drive in below freezing temps. They weren’t joking. The difference between driving to work at 45outside and 35 was insane. 2 days of that and I had michelin a/s 3+ on order. Pirelli uses very similar language to michelin about the 45 degree cutoff. Those particular tires were like ice skates under 40 degrees. And that was a 255/35 with awd. On a Mach 1 with the HP tire sizes no thank you that drive would suck!
I’ve never seen an insurance company check. And as far as I’m concerned if the car was sold that way there’s very little leg for them to stand on From a civil side Of legality. Michelin’s PS4S’ aren’t some crazy tire that can’t be driven in semi cold weather. Lol. They’re not that serious. The tire is fine until 32 degrees. Otherwise do what you want. It’s your car.