Sponsored

Pressure Washer for "Foam Cannon"

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Just something else to consider with your washer.

I recently changed from a traditional garden tap to a full flow 1/4 turn ball valve type :

1665526466573.jpeg

At the same time, I switched from feeding my washer from the standard hose (with an auto stop end), to a dedicated hose with open fittings and no restriction.

The difference in the performance of my washer was noticeable :like:

Sometimes the little things can really make a difference in getting the best from your kit :like:

WD :like:
Sponsored

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
After doing quite a bit of research to look for something that was both affordable and well suited to auto detailing. I ended up with this one: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Greenworks-Pro-Greenworks-Gen2-2300-Pressure-Washer/5001075901

For car detailing, flow rate is more important the pressure and at 2.3GPM, this unit gives just about the highest flow rate of all the lower end pressure washers. Another big plus is that it uses an M22-14mm fitting for the hose vs an M22-15mm fitting that is typical on most lower end pressure washers making it MUCH easier to find accessories.

There is a pretty thorough review of it here:

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Thanks for all the great replies. I'm a neophyte at this detailing activity and indeed will only be a light user of a pressure washer powered foam cannon. It was my intention to use the info gathered here to do further research and select a hopefully effective, lower-cost pressure washer for this purpose which could be added to the Christmas wish list. In the course of investigating these recommendations I found my way to the Karcher site and I couldn't resist the special $50 discount for the K3 which is normally offered there for $189.99 https://www.kaercher.com/us/home-garden/electric-pressure-washers/k-3-power-control-16761090.html

Now, I'd like to order a gun referenced by DFB5.0 https://www.obsessedgarage.com/coll...with-quick-disconnects?variant=39171350397079
But, of the 3 choices shown at that link, I have no idea which one I need for the K3 and the Karcher website was no help. So, please help me understand the correct choice for this particular application.
Email OG to double check, but you will need the following -

Karcher Adaptor ($25) -
Karcher Adapter | Gun/Wand Adapter | Obsessed Garage Store

Brass Adaptor ($3.55)-
Brass M22 Male (14mm) to 3/8" Male NPT - Twist & Seal – Obsessed Garage

3/8 Quick Connect ($10.60) -
Stainless Steel 3/8" Female Quick Disconnect Coupler – Obsessed Garage

On the Karcher Adaptor page, Karcher Adapter | Gun/Wand Adapter | Obsessed Garage Store, look down the pictures menu to see how it all works. Because you have a proprietary hose with that model Karcher, this is the only way to make it work. I would still do it because it is soooo much better than the standard gun.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
WD: Dear LORD I love those hose bib quarter turn valves! Are those a UK thing as I've never seen them in the US?

Thanks
They are a UK make (Pegler) but I'm reasonably sure other companies must offer a similar design ?

https://www.pegleryorkshire.co.uk/E...U_Chromium_Plated_Hose_Union_Ball_Type_Bibtap

They are a little modified from how they are supplied as standard. The original handles were only plated and had started to corrode, I also didn't like the shut off angles due to the Y splitter that I put in the cold water feed . The current handles are stainless and my design to keep everything parallel to the wall when shut off.

Everything on that setup is now brass, plated brass or stainless so they should look good for years to come.

A bit more info on my setup here :

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...y-ive-not-been-doing-mustang-jobs-lol.173815/

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Thanks, Brutha and of course it was those gorgeous HANDLES that I was salivating over. :-) Yep, knew I could get a SS ball valve, I have many standard brass 3/4 ball valves on homemade hose bibs for the water well we use for irrigation, etc. I found SS handles for them but I MUCH perfer the petal handles on yours. Oh well...thanks, WD.

OP
OP
ECSIII

ECSIII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Email OG to double check, but you will need the following -

Karcher Adaptor ($25) -
Karcher Adapter | Gun/Wand Adapter | Obsessed Garage Store

Brass Adaptor ($3.55)-
Brass M22 Male (14mm) to 3/8" Male NPT - Twist & Seal – Obsessed Garage

3/8 Quick Connect ($10.60) -
Stainless Steel 3/8" Female Quick Disconnect Coupler – Obsessed Garage

On the Karcher Adaptor page, Karcher Adapter | Gun/Wand Adapter | Obsessed Garage Store, look down the pictures menu to see how it all works. Because you have a proprietary hose with that model Karcher, this is the only way to make it work. I would still do it because it is soooo much better than the standard gun.
I did discover and purchased on Amazon a nice package deal which included both the SGS28 gun and the PF22.2 cannon https://www.amazon.com/MTM-Hydro-Pressure-Attachment-Adjustable/dp/B084Z448LL

As always, DFB5.0 has continued to provide outstanding information! I did a lot more research on connecting an SGS28 gun to a Karcher K3 and could find nothing that I felt comfortable would work except the fittings referenced by DFB5.0 as being available at Obsessed Garage Store. I did write to them asking for their confirmation, but unfortunately have received no response - that was disappointing! However, in spite of that I decided to proceed with the purchase the total of which, including taxes and shipping, came to approximately $55. Maybe the Karcher K3 wasn't such a good deal after all considering its weird hose fittings.

Last edited:

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2023 BMW M440i, 2020 Ram 1500, 2021 Jeep JK
What is the max PSI for PPF. I have a cannon that connects to a water hose, but would like more pressure without damaging the PPF. Any links to them would be greatly appreciated, as would any advice.

This is my first car with PPF and ceramic. Thanks in advance.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
What is the max PSI for PPF. I have a cannon that connects to a water hose, but would like more pressure without damaging the PPF. Any links to them would be greatly appreciated, as would any advice.

This is my first car with PPF and ceramic. Thanks in advance.
It’s not the PSI as such, it’s the nozzle it gets pushed through.

Mines a 140 bar (approx 2000 psi) and I have a car wash nozzle, which gives a reasonably wide paint friendly fan, a 90 deg under body nozzle (more aggressive) to a nozzle that’s very direct and will remove dried gum off the sidewalk (defo not for use on the car).

The car nozzle has been used for 10 years on a car with PPF with no damage, but it’s all relative …

The nozzle needs to be matched to the pressure, flow rate and its intended purpose. Get it wrong and you could have poor performance at one end of the scale and burn your motor out at the other. That’s why the better places that sell aftermarket nozzles (e.g. obsessed garage v generic eBay) will pair the nozzle orifice to the machine :like:

Just use some common sense. My car nozzle held 1” away would be dangerous, my gum nozzle from 1 meter away would be fine. Work away from the edges rather than up to them etc.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I don’t have much experience with PPF but what @WD Pro says makes sense. I would treat it like you would vinyl stripes. Avoid close contact with the edges and you should be fine. 1,600-2,000 psi is more than enough and as others have mentioned, flow rate is just as important. 2.0 gal/min and up is really good flow.

Sponsored

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2023 BMW M440i, 2020 Ram 1500, 2021 Jeep JK
Thank you gents!!

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Always enjoy watching Pan.

tws123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt premium
I got a karcher 1700. Bought a short gun and converted everything to quick connections. I bought a foam cannon matcc? At Walmart 20 dollars. Changed the orifice to 1.1 mm one for electric pressure washer. Works great !

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I would treat it like you would vinyl stripes.
Excellent analogy and PPF is a WHOLE lot thicker than stripes. It can take a beating, just not big rocks. I also don't use more than approximately 1500 psi. Electric pw's are the goto machine for car washing...ICE pw's can easily damage paint with nearly all the typically-supplied colored nozzles. Green is doable but stay 3+ feet away from ANYTHING.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
All good info in here. I am considering doing an OG Kranzle or AR wall mount kit. I have a SunJoe SPX3000 right now with an SG28 pistol grip and PF22 foam cannon. For rinsing I have an OG wand with their 40 degree nozzle matched to my washer. It works well but it’s getting annoying rolling out my DI cart, pressure washer, running hoses and power cord, and then cleaning it all up. Not to mention the majority of these cheaper washer units are built to fail and aren’t serviceable when they do.
Sponsored