Premium vs Regular gas for track day

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
On a track I want as much octane as I can get. Not for any HP increase but for knock suppression.

High temps and high load just beg for detonation.
Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
There's no octane learning on the coyote, at least not the gen 3. I wish there was to avoid these issues, but Ford didn't think it was necessary I guess. ..
I tried getting this to work a while back using hptuners and never had any luck. But today I was just looking through pcmtec parameters and ran across a switch to enable global knock adaptation and it’s switched off, so that might have been the parameter I was missing before and why it wouldn’t work for me.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I tried getting this to work a while back using hptuners and never had any luck. But today I was just looking through pcmtec parameters and ran across a switch to enable global knock adaptation and it’s switched off, so that might have been the parameter I was missing before and why it wouldn’t work for me.
You should try it out and see if it does something if you have some time to kill.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
You should try it out and see if it does something if you have some time to kill.
I would except with a well sorted flex tune it runs MBT all the time on e85 so it would never learn anything.

Maybe you should try it!

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I would except with a well sorted flex tune it runs MBT all the time on e85 so it would never learn anything.

Maybe you should try it!
Thats fair. And yeah, it seems worth getting for all the things you can play with. Maybe one day lol

Sponsored

GrabberBargeCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Base 6sp in Grabber Blue
Ambient temperatures? That's gonna make a huge difference. Obviously how hard you drive as well. I run 91 octane year round, but when i got the car it had 87 in it and it was a dog.. theres no way dropping down to 87 only loses you a few ponies. It felt like 40hp to me but car was pulling a ton of timing since it was July in Central Valley CA... cant imagine it on the track in those conditions.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Ambient temperatures? That's gonna make a huge difference. Obviously how hard you drive as well. I run 91 octane year round, but when i got the car it had 87 in it and it was a dog.. theres no way dropping down to 87 only loses you a few ponies. It felt like 40hp to me but car was pulling a ton of timing since it was July in Central Valley CA... cant imagine it on the track in those conditions.
Some cars seem to be more octane sensitive than others but yeah. 87 on a hot day will mean some quality timing advance delete.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
But today I was just looking through pcmtec parameters and ran across a switch to enable global knock adaptation and it’s switched off, so that might have been the parameter I was missing before and why it wouldn’t work for me.
Mike can you give me the table number so I can see if it is available in the gen 2

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
auF62783 in the gen 3 is called "Switch to enable tabular adaptive knock". auF62783 doesn't exist in the gen 2 but I did find auF35849, which has the exact same description. Both are defaulted "off" from the factory and not defined in hptuners. I'm not 100% sure that this "tabular" adaptive knock is the same thing as what we call "octane adjust", but its the first thing I've run across that sounds like it might explain what I've seen and potentially make it work.
Sponsored