Sponsored

First Track Day 2015 Mustang GT Premium (Bone Stock)

Josh's GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 50th Anniversary Pack
Hello All,

this will be my first track day in my new to me 2015 GT Non-PP 6spd, car is bone stock with only 13k miles on everything!

looking for whats the most important first mods you would get done to be track ready

i would assume tires would be number 1 as the factory all seasons would not be a good idea?
was looking into getting the RE-71R in a square setup of 265-40-19 for the factory 50th wheels

second plan was to get some good fluids changed into the car, motor and diff for sure, Trans fluid need changing? or coolant maybe?
currently have Motul 300v 5w30 motor oil to use
i know the rear diffs have issues with heating up on the track, don't want to add a cooler ATM, but thought changing to a nice fluid would be easy and good to get done , what does everyone recommend?

Third i was thinking maybe some track oriented pads (need some recommendations) since i don't have the PP calipers to help with braking duties and some RBF600 Fluid?

the event is a Starting line school put on by Tire rack and the event is in Heartland Park Topeka KS! so im pretty sure an instructor will be accompanying me for the first session or so to give me input and advice!

planned on keeping suspension bone stock as that's what everyone recommends to beginners, but figured some better brakes pads and good tires wouldn't hurt to help keep the car on track and be a little easier to drive and learn on!

if there are any other mods you all would recommend or certain mods that are more important then others please let me know! I'm new to this platform, i came from an AWD GSX eclipse so this is an completely different animal,

i know most guys say the Stock PP Is track capable, but didn't read much on the Non-pp Cars... so reasons for this specific post!

excited to get into my first track day and am open to any and all advice you veterans have to offer!

Cheers!
Sponsored

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
If you have never tracked a car before than the car will be far more capable than you (no offense) the first few times. Leave the all season tires, get all fresh fluids (especially brake fluid), and an alignment front and rear. Reason to leave the all seasons on is you will reach the limit of the tires quicker and start to get a feel of controlling the car as the low grip all seasons start to slide around. Another reason is the RE71 can be slippery in the rain and should you have a wet track your all seasons will be more than capable.
After becoming a safe driver on track (Situational awareness, flags, point by’s, etc. then start dialing up the performance. Usually 3-4 Track days will have you fully aware.

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
I'd skip the tires for your first few track days. Absolutely upgrade your brake fluid. I run Castrol SRF. Never had a single issue with that and I'm very hard on brakes. I would also suggest upgrading your brake pads but don't go for something extremely aggressive. Sorry I don't know what options there are for the non-pp GTs but hopefully someone could chime in. Besides brake pads and brake fluid, keep everything stock and feel the car out. Definitely change your oil to freshen it up. The rest of the fluids would probably be a good idea to change but I wouldn't worry too much about it if you can't get to them in time. Anything else you do will be a waste since your first track day is alllllllllllll about learning and easing into the sport.

Oh, and prepare your wallet because once you hit the track, you'll be hooked and the mods will start flowing. Your wallet/bank account/savings will all slowly start to disappear but the smile on your face will keep getting larger.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Very true on the $$$ drain; as you said it is so worth it.

OP
OP
Josh's GT

Josh's GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 50th Anniversary Pack
I would also suggest upgrading your brake pads but don't go for something extremely aggressive.
What would you suggest, would XP8 Pads, G-loc R8 be overly aggressive or just right? last thing i want is to loos brakes on my first track day, which from what i read is the most popular failure... its a 2.5 mile Track, and i believe we get 3- 20min sessions!

ill take your recommendation to stay on the all seasons for my first event, and it saves me about a grand so i wont complain there lol

Fluid wise i believe i have some Motul RBF600 left over from my last build, i plan to run Motul 300v 5w-30 motor oil as well, would upgrading the rear diff fluid to some Amsoil 75w-110 or 140 oil be recommended as well? Since i have a Non-PP, what fluid is needed? i believe i read that the 3.73 torsen rear is different from the 3.55 base rear end regarding what fluid is required in context to the additives needed in the oil?

Coolant Flush needed at all?

i have a 15' so i wont have a sensor to tell me when the fluid is heating up to much, i pored over the 23 page thread on all that and the conses i got was a heavier weight oil and exhaust wrap exhaust near the diff were the cheapest options to "help" that issue

Sponsored

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
At this stage I wouldn’t worry about overheating since you’ll be driving at a lower limit and a 20 minute session is pretty short when you factor in the out lap and in lap. After your speed picks up I wouldn’t waste time with wrapping components to keep heat down and instead get proper coolers; do it right the first time plus the fluid temps will be a lot less and therefore your drivetrain components will last longer.
Most of all, relax and have fun with it.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
At this stage I wouldn’t worry about overheating since you’ll be driving at a lower limit and a 20 minute session is pretty short when you factor in the out lap and in lap. After your speed picks up I wouldn’t waste time with wrapping components to keep heat down and instead get proper coolers; do it right the first time plus the fluid temps will be a lot less and therefore your drivetrain components will last longer.
Most of all, relax and have fun with it.

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
Thanks for the input, but do you have any actual suggestions to my questions tho?
I would agree with him. You shouldn't have overheating at the track. I never had that issue and chances are you wont be on the track long enough for that to be a concern.

Sponsored

o-man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
Last edited:

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the input, but do you have any actual suggestions to my questions tho?
For the differential I know people who run with this kit and have no problems:
http://fulltiltboogieracing.com/S550_diff_cooler_kit.html

For the trans my experience won't translate since what I used is specific for the GT350.

For front brake pads I use Ferodo. For mostly street use DS2500. For mostly track use DSUNO. Still using Ford Performance for rear pads. I have heard great things about Raybestos pads but have not used them. Search forum member DocWalt posts on brake pads.

Thub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 6 speed
Speaking as a guy who actually brought his non PP car to the track on stock pads and stock fluid, the brakes do not hold up. I had to cruise the straights at about 80mph to give the brakes some cooldown time or I'd boil the fluid and put the pedal on the floor. Also, the front pads literally fell apart. The trailing edge half of the pad fell off entirely.
People have said good things about the powerstop trackday pads, and they're pretty inexpensive as well. I'd suggest a set of those and a fluid change.
Otherwise, heat didnt seem to be a problem. I couldn't monitor oil temp, but coolant didnt get past 225, and the diff case didn't get above 220 or so (I'm sure fluid was hotter) but when I drained it, it didn't look terribly burnt.
Even with the brakes holding me back, I had a ton of fun and spent the entire winter thinking of my next event.

Reactions: TDC

Taylor1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
These guys hit the nail on the head. Most beginner drivers cannot push a stock car to the limits. You will learn much more about the track, lines, feedback from the car, and how to push yourself in a slower and controlled environment. I would personally change all fluids first, but the important ones are engine oil and brake fluid. If you’re looking for pads which would be the only modification I would do, I would pick these up. The bite isn’t too aggressive and they are pretty much up to temp immediately. The last thing you want is too much pad for the tire and you lock up at every corner. Best advice is relax, learn as much as possible, and be prepared to be humbled.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/hawk-pe...ance-pack-ecoboost-base-gt-2015-2017/p/BS855/

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Just had my first track day with my 18 GT, PP1, 6sp, convertible at Talladega GP track. Only mods were a set of F&R Steeda full floating rotors utilizing stock PP1 pads. I ran five, 20 minute sessions. Car performed very well with no issues beside putting a lot of wear on the Pilot Sport 4s tires and stock PP1 brake pads. The stock black 19" PP1 wheels were basically gray on the front with brake dust. The car is more than capable for a first time track day...Go enjoy!
Sponsored