Not open for further replies.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
In the Mustang you can change the sensitivity, as well as turning off the automatic braking (so you just get a warning)
I know. Same in the Mondeo. But it reactivates itself automatically the next time you start the engine. And it's hidden deep in the menus, it's not something you can do in a split second without looking.
As for the alert, even on the lowest sensitivity I still used to get a lot of false alerts.

Last edited:

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
I know. Same in the Mondeo. But it reactivates itself automatically the next time you start the engine. And it's hidden deep in the menus, it's not something you can do in a split second without even looking.
As for the alert, even on the lowest sensitivity I still used to get a lot of false alerts.
It doesn't. I set mine to not do automatic braking on day one and it has remembered the settings since then, same with the sensitivity. Mondeo was the same

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It remembers the sensitivity, but the automatic braking will reactivate at each engine start. Both in the Mondeo and the Mustang. It even says so in the user's manual.
Next time you're in the car, take a look at that option, and you'll see it's checked. Maybe you were just lucky that it hasn't triggered in the meantime, but it's certainly active.
That is, unless UK vehicles happen to be programmed differently. But I think that's unlikely.

Last edited:

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
That will not trigger it.
I've had it go off, and only thing in front of me was a bunch of leaves being whipped around in the breeze .
So I don't know what to tell you, other than, I have no other answer for it going off.

Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I always wonder if a bug or something could trigger these things

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
I've had it go off, and only thing in front of me was a bunch of leaves being whipped around in the breeze .
So I don't know what to tell you, other than, I have no other answer for it going off.
I always wonder if a bug or something could trigger these things
The cameras would not identify a bug or leaves as a threat. They use recognition systems to 'identify' the problem. Some early systems were not very good, largely because they used only basic systems or the recognition software was not sufficiently developed. I'm pretty sure there was an accident involving somebody pushing a pram that didn't trigger a warning / braking because a person pushing a pram was not identified as a threat because it hadn't been programmed. A person on their own would have been. They are not foolproof but have significant proven benefits.

As an example my sister got her foot caught under the brake pedal of her car at slow speed when parking and the AEB stopped her hitting the wall. In the UK insurance premiums are reduced for cars with AEB.

Collision avoidance system - Wikipedia

What is AEB and how does it work? | What Car?

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
It remembers the sensitivity, but the automatic braking will reactivate at each engine start. Both in the Mondeo and the Mustang. It even says so in the user's manual.
Next time you're in the car, take a look at that option, and you'll see it's checked. Maybe you were just lucky that it hasn't triggered in the meantime, but it's certainly active.
That is, unless UK vehicles happen to be programmed differently. But I think that's unlikely.
You are spot on. It has never activated the braking for me, but has activated the warning on the screen

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
You are spot on. It has never activated the braking for me, but has activated the warning on the screen
Mine hasn't auto braked, but the line of bright leds from the upper dash pad is alarming and the warning noise.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mine hasn't auto braked, but the line of bright leds from the upper dash pad is alarming and the warning noise.
Isn't that the point ?

There is compelling data that says the systems prevent accidents and save lives. A few false positives are not the end of the world.

Sponsored

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
Isn't that the point ?

There is compelling data that says the systems prevent accidents and save lives. A few false positives are not the end of the world.
Depends, I watch where I am going, and when a vehicle in front of me is taking a right turn and has slowed, but I know my speed and that vehicles speed where it be when I get there and it still is going off for no other reason other than I haven't bothered to touch the brakes. it doesn't seem to be able to tell that the lane is wide enough that you won't hit the turning vehicle as you go by it. and just goes off. I get it, it is set up this way for those that drive with their face in a phone. but for those that don't it is a tad too touchy and assumes everyone is blind as a bat. not a fan.
Thank god you can turn the lane warning crap off. that system in a construction zone is a nightmare. And around here, construction zones are all years and everywhere.
These systems designed for the lowest common denom. frankly suck.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
These systems have significant proven benefits for poor/inattentive/stupid/etc. drivers, while alienating those who can drive properly.
If they save you, then you shouldn't have been driving in the first place. The first time the system breaks for you for good reason, and actually saves you, you should turn in your driver's licence.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
These systems have significant proven benefits for poor/inattentive/stupid/etc. drivers, while alienating those who can drive properly.
If they save you, then you shouldn't have been driving in the first place. The first time the system breaks for you for good reason, and actually saves you, you should turn in your driver's licence.
I don't agree. My sister's example is a good one. Plus NOBODY is perfect and we all make mistakes when driving no matter how good we think we are!

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
So, I was driving through my neighborhood today and my pre-collision alert went off. There was nothing in front of me.

Did you get out and check to see if whatever you hit was already settling in the dust behind you?

🤣

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
I wasn't aware that the "assisted braking" switched itself back on automatically, so thanks to Vlad for that info. That's annoying, but I can't help but thinking that if the car braking for you is a frequent problem, you are driving too close to the edge.
I am not aware of the car ever braking for me, but the warning itself I've gotten some handful of times over the years, and it has always been obvious why it triggered. Once or twice it may have even saved me from a minor collision with the car in front, which is all it takes to make it more than worth the minor annoyance of the remaining, and rather rare, false alarms.

I think it's also prudent to remember that even though you may very well be the next reincarnation of Michael Schumacher, the other drivers next to you on the road are just average drivers in average cars. Their inferior understanding and reaction speed may lead to collisions, even though you yourself think the margins were more than adequate and that "stupid" warning system should just shut up 'cause you know what you're doing.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.