PPF questions

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
So, how does the PPF interact with the matte finish on the hood decals? Do you get it PPF'd around the decals or what?

I am thinkin about doing the entire hood, only because of the visible line from where it ends, so thinking bumper, hood, front fenders, a pillars, mirrors, rear fender up to the stripe I recon (does it need to go higher?) and leading edge of the roof. on the roof and a-pillars there would be a visible line, but don't think that is as bad a location as across the hood.
Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
I just had my car done last month. They hand cut the PPF around the vinyl so it doesn’t get damaged when the film eventually has to come off. Plus there would be a bubble on the edge that wouldn’t look great.
I ended up getting the hood, front bumper and fenders, everything below the side stripes, mirrors, area in front of the rear wheels, headlights, and the black trunk panel. I’ll post some close up pictures for you on my lunch break. Unless I told you or you knew to look for it, you wouldn’t know where the film is except the area in front of the rear wheels. Even then on fighter jet gray it doesn’t stand out. I’m really happy with it. They also ceramic coated over everything.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
I just had my car done last month. They hand cut the PPF around the vinyl so it doesn’t get damaged when the film eventually has to come off. Plus there would be a bubble on the edge that wouldn’t look great.
I ended up getting the hood, front bumper and fenders, everything below the side stripes, mirrors, area in front of the rear wheels, headlights, and the black trunk panel. I’ll post some close up pictures for you on my lunch break. Unless I told you or you knew to look for it, you wouldn’t know where the film is except the area in front of the rear wheels. Even then on fighter jet gray it doesn’t stand out. I’m really happy with it. They also ceramic cited over everything.
mind if I ask you how much that was?

Sponsored

Tshenberg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Chassis M1908
Same for me I had full hood bumper entire front fender door cups and door edges done as well as front of rear fender. They cut around the hood decal perfectly. They also cut around the side emblems as I didn’t want them to break it. Looks great can’t even tell it’s there

86A04D45-D711-4AD3-8834-226B2A9D1096.jpeg

CB84B859-E0F3-49C8-91F3-1F53DB9232DA.jpeg

A82F74AB-97D1-4CBC-A8F0-0FF0147F9149.jpeg

6EBF1D3A-07DE-4E9A-8F95-1E8A81225877.jpeg

velocirooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mach 1 Prem, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Same for me I had full hood bumper entire front fender door cups and door edges done as well as front of rear fender. They cut around the hood decal perfectly. They also cut around the side emblems as I didn’t want them to break it. Looks great can’t even tell it’s there

Did you do ceramic as well?

Tshenberg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
Xpel has a PPF which is mat finished as well and will not change the look of the stripes. Saying that the regular PPF may not either. Either way you do have options and the installer can show you both on the car (he did this for me as I was considering matt PPF racing strips on top of the regular Xpel - it looked pretty cool and VERY subtle actually).

Sponsored

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1

First Iconic I see with HP. Looks phenomenal!

Tshenberg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)

Mach1BC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bradley
Vehicle(s)
Mach1
For those who have had PPF installed, did you have the vinyl decals on the doors covered? If not, can you tell a difference relative to the PPF covered vinyl on the front and rear fenders? If so, where on the door did they stopped if the whole door isn't covered?

As far as the hood, if you cut around the hood decal then it remains vulnerable to rock chip. However, I notice part of the hood vinyl is glossy and part of it is matte. If you want the hood decal PPF'd would you have them run the hood PPF over the decal and trim at the edge of the matte part and then use something like XPEL stealth over the matte part? I wonder how well the lines from the stealth to the gloss PPF on the hood decal would be?

I am taking my car to a shop this week to talk this over but would like others opinions.

Carbide

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Race Red w/white stripes Shelby GT350
It is commonly recommended be reputable installers to NOT PPF over decals.
If the film needs to be replaced later on it WILL pull the decal off.

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
I've researched on "over the stripe versus to the stripe" and i think i've reconciled that i'll almost certainly lose the stripe WHEN i have to refresh the PPF as it ages or it gets misapplied, or i MAY lose the PPF before the same refresh date due to early lifting, so i've decided to cut out for the stripe.
I did the same mental exercise and my conclusion was that if I will need to replace the PPF it would be either because it has deteriorated too much (I have no idea how long it might take, the guy who does the PP with XPEL told me the PPF should be ok for 10 years minimum), or it would be because scratches and an overall wear. In this case though, the chances are that if the hood was worn out to this point, the stripe will be worn out too and would need a replacement as well.

So the outcome was a question if the factory stripe can outlive the PPF if they are not damaged. I honestly have no idea.

If not then it would be better to cover the stripe with the PPF as well, because it will actually protect the stripe with all the advantages of the PPF.

On the other hand, if the stripe will last much longer than the PPF, then the risk of losing it with the PPF removal becomes a weighing factor. I was told there is 50:50 chance for not trashing it.

Eventually I decided for getting the complete cover, just to get the uniform protection of the hood, the stripe included and also because of not knowing of what to expect from the stripe and the PPF being cut next to each other. To me it looks like a potential for getting dirt in between the two, or even under them.

But I am also quite interested in the hands-on experience anyone can share.

It is commonly recommended be reputable installers to NOT PPF over decals.
I was told it also depends on the brand. The German or Italian sportscars are much more prone to losing sticker decals in the PPF removal than Mustangs.
Sponsored