Sponsored

PP2 Curb Rash (ugh) Advice?

93tankus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP2
Hi All,

So, as the title states, I had a bit of unfortunate luck today. I was letting a family member drive the PP2 today, and they managed to find the curb with the passenger rear wheel. They felt *terrible* about it.

Anyway, it was relatively low speed and ended with a about a 2” rash right on the outer lip. Unfortunately, it also took a chunk out of the sidewall of the PS2. So, no more track days until I can afford a used set. Double bummer.

I’m hoping I can get the rim repaired in such a way that I’ll never be able to tell there was damage. Is that possible? Or, am I going to have to bite the big one and try to buy another rim?

Anyone have any ballpark cost estimates on a rim repair? Cost estimate on an OEM rim?

What would you all do?

As always, thanks for the input!
Sponsored

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
An experienced wheel repair technician will easily be able to repair the damage.
I’ve used them in the past, and the repairs have been undetectable.
The great majority of them provide mobile service at your location.

If you trouble finding one, check in with a local dealership and see who they use.
Always pays to get the wheel and tire coverage at time of vehicle purchase.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I have nothing to add that is useful. But my wife was talking with a friend today about how I don't let her drive my GT (PP1). Years ago, she put a big dent in my Mazdaspeed3 wheel, and took a chunk out of my tire as well, while letting her drive it one day...it happened on a curb while taking a turn. Also, she pulls very far up in parking spaces typically until her tire hits the curb stop, which would rip the front splitter right off my GT.

A new matte black PP1 wheel from Ford Performance is $353. The PP1 wheels that comes on the car has a gloss to it, so the glossy wheels are likely more expensive. Not sure about PP2 wheels, probably similar priced, maybe slightly more since they are wider and there are less of them out there. I would also think rash could be repaired but have no experience with that. Speaking of my wife, her 2016 Volvo XC90 has some serious wheel rash (in this case, most of it put on the car before we bought it as it was about 2 years old when we purchased it). I have considered getting the XC90's wheels repaired, so I'm curious about what others say about repairs for wheel rash.

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I have nothing to add that is useful. But my wife was talking with a friend today about how I don't let her drive my GT (PP1). Years ago, she put a big dent in my Mazdaspeed3 wheel, and took a chunk out of my tire as well, while letting her drive it one day...it happened on a curb while taking a turn. Also, she pulls very far up in parking spaces typically until her tire hits the curb stop, which would rip the front splitter right off my GT.

A new matte black PP1 wheel from Ford Performance is $353. The PP1 wheels that comes on the car has a gloss to it, so the glossy wheels are likely more expensive. Not sure about PP2 wheels, probably similar priced, maybe slightly more since they are wider and there are less of them out there. I would also think rash could be repaired but have no experience with that. Speaking of my wife, her 2016 Volvo XC90 has some serious wheel rash (in this case, most of it put on the car before we bought it as it was about 2 years old when we purchased it). I have considered getting the XC90's wheels repaired, so I'm curious about what others say about repairs for wheel rash.

It's funny you say that, my MIL likes to remind me how she hasn't driven it yet. She'll remind me that she drove ferraris and crap x4 the price of my GT350 and in stick shift.

-It's not about that. It's about if there was to be damage to the clutch I don't want to blame anyone other than myself. Same goes for any kind of damage including curbed wheels.

Sponsored

Bran2TheDon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp. Orange GT
Why don't said family member pay for the damages?

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
Check with local tire dealership.theyll know who can fix it.ad said a pro wheel person can fix it.if it's not bent,should be around 200bucks.theres a place here in atl called wheel wizard. That does great work.maybe check local yelp listings under wheel repair

RoyalCrimsonGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bong
Vehicle(s)
2018 MGT P, 10R80, PP1, MagneRide, ActiveExhaust
Vehicle Showcase
Did my own when i curbed mine twice already. Smoothened the rash out with a dremmel then ford gloss black touch up paint, done!

GregP27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2007 Nissan Titan; 2010 Hyundai Veracruz; 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP1
I competed in Trials motorcycles, among other motorsports, for some 23 years. When we got new bikes, I'd let a friend or 3 try it out after a few months with the proviso that anything scratched would be replaced, not repaired or ignored. If the bike malfunctioned, it was on me. I'd usually go along and ride theirs and watch. If they agreed, I'd let 'em give it a go. If not, then no. I only had one guy who tried to welsh, and I got the money after a a short argument. It was either that or fight, and he didn't really want to fight, especially since there were maybe 10 other guys who heard the agreement. Among them were some cops who were in the trials club.

At least in trials competition, I found most people to be honorable and decent.

So far, nobody has driven my 2019 GT except me and the dealership for first oil change. I waited and watched; no abuse. I will let the wife drive it while I'm in it after we go play a bit in less traffic-prone areas, but she tends to curb a wheel when cops / emergency vehicles come past and also tends to pull in until it hits when parking, so I will likely not want her to take it out on her own without a firm agreement to replace any dings with new parts. She is somewhat aghast that I have some $5k+ in aftermarket parts on it, and very likely won't ask anyway. Nobody else in her family has ever been a "car nut."

I don't borrow or lend cars and trucks as a general rule but have, in emergencies, done both, and would again if the odd occasion happens to arise.

Sponsored

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
I too have used a dremel
Just to smooth out a rash.but if you've taken a chunk of metal off the edge,you'll need some new metal.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
-It's not about that. It's about if there was to be damage to the clutch I don't want to blame anyone other than myself. Same goes for any kind of damage including curbed wheels.
This is exactly why I don't let people drive my car. My friend, the one who keeps asking to drive my Mustang, has been in three car accidents, smashed his front bumper on his new subaru, got it repaired, and rear ended a semi 3 days after said repair. I like my car in one piece, thank you.

Damage is unavoidable, especially for those of us that daily our cars. It sucks, but it sucks 10x when it's someone else who caused it. At least, if I did it, I can wallow in my own despair instead of holding back the urge to rip off the head of someone else.

OP, if you can swing it, maybe look into a set of used pp1 rims and tires. The PS 4S tires have a thick side wall that sticks out and can protect against such instances. When I was getting used to my car I nicked a curb and was 100% certain I did damage. When I came home I didn't even see a scratch. God bless these fat, ugly side walls.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I use Bondo to fix curb rash.
  1. Take a flat file to knock off any high spots first.
  2. Clean with Tarminator.
  3. Mask off the rim outside of the rash. Get the tape as close as possible to the damaged area.
  4. Bondo the rash.
  5. Sand until smooth. The tape prevents you from sanding the undamaged areas.
  6. Clean with Tarminator again.
  7. Paint the repaired area with a brush. If spraying paint, then you will want to mask the tire near the rim, too.
  8. Do not remove masking tape until paint has thoroughly dried, lest Bondo powder contaminates the paint.
To me, the hardest part is finding a good paint match. Test the match regardless. You get the smoothest finish with spray paint, but you may need to protect undamaged areas from overspray.

Takes me 2 hours to do one rash area. But it is really hard to find it afterwards.
Sponsored