Sponsored

Potential Damage Question

DIBstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT PP
Hi All - it has been awhile since posting, but I knew to turn here for some advice. Last week went over train tracks going about 45mph. Since then, I am getting a loud metallic banging noise from what sounds like the roof area passenger side back. The sound occurs almost constantly - over bumps, accelerating, braking, etc.

I have gone through the trunk and interior looking for loose pieces and found nothing, and did a quick check of suspension parts and didn't find anything out of the ordinary.

I know it hard to diagnose based on just words here, but if anyone has ideas/suggestions, i would be glad to hear.
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Could it be your rear seats aren't fully clipped/secured in place?

OP
OP

DIBstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT PP
I checked those too. Even drove today with the both seats down.

It sounds like something is swinging around, which is strange because its not like theres that much going on back there spacewise. I cant imagine this is coming from the suspension because the sound is so clear when heard from the inside. My inner ear is telling me its at head level behind my right ear.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Check trunk below trunk floor - something could have fallen into the well and that'll make more noise than you think, even if it's just plastic. Otherwise, consider opening and slamming closed your fold down seats. If in-warranty, visit the dealer... it'd be their problem, anyway.

OP
OP

DIBstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT PP
I should have been more descriptive in my original post. I checked the trunk well also and nothing is in there, and the inflation kit thing is fully secure.

Sponsored

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Depends on the RR tracks. I've crossed train tracks that were smooth enough you could roll across them at freeway speeds with no problem. Then again, I've crossed RR tracks that would take the undercarriage off a 3/4 ton truck if you crossed them at anything over 10 mph. How rough was that RR crossing? It's possible you damaged a bushing or something along the way? Something that may not be obvious on a casual visual inspection. As you said, it's pretty hard to diagnose in a forum conversation. One thing I've found in my admittedly limited experience looking for strange sounds in a car, is that they rarely actually come from where they sound like they're coming from. Sounds to me like it's time to let a competent technician take a look at it. If the noise is consistent, that'll go a long way toward helping them diagnose the problem.

Good luck!

OP
OP

DIBstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT PP
Well...its Southeast Michigan in winter...haha

It was a pretty harsh crossing but taken slowly. I am still in the 3/36, so I will schedule a visit with the dealer asap.

It is one of those frustrating things that are hard to fix, impossible to ignore, and make you obsess over it.

Here is what it sounds like - I worked at a stamping shop back in HS, and all I picture/hear is taking two foot long stamped pieces and hitting them against each other.

HotLap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT 350
Also check your headliner at the rear as it's held in place by a magnet on either side. <gently> pull down the headliner at the rear window a couple of inches and shine a small flashlight in there. The roof mount sat antenna also has a clip in there but doubt that could be making the amount of noise you are hearing. Good Luck and don't pull more than a couple of inches down on the center of the headliner as you don't want to put a crease in it...

Joe B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I have been deceived and spent many hours searching for the actual location of a noise.
Don't some dealers have a special gizmo that supposedly pinpoints the source?

Paul K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP Recaro
I had a similar thing happen to me. It took me a while to figure out that it was the subwoofer in the trunk that was loose. There is a single bolt that holds upper part of the subwoofer secure to the side of the trunk and it has a tendency to loosen.

Sponsored

FlaGrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic PP GT
Sounds can be deceiving. Similar issue for me. I could have sworn it was coming from the right rear suspension, Removed, inspected, and reinstalled. Made sure everything was tight to Spec. Didn't help.

Turned out it was the emergency trunk release on the inside swinging around banging against the trim.

baevid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I had a similar thing happen to me. It took me a while to figure out that it was the subwoofer in the trunk that was loose. There is a single bolt that holds upper part of the subwoofer secure to the side of the trunk and it has a tendency to loosen.
I also had this same issue. Somehow the sub got a little loose so i had to re-tighten the bolt for it to be secure again.

SDEcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Convertible
After exhausting all the other suggestions, if you still have the noise, check the upper rear shock bolt. It may not have been torqued correctly and the RR tracks were the bump it needed to loosen it just enough to allow the shock to move.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
You're supposed to kill the hooker before you throw her in the trunk.

OP
OP

DIBstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT PP
Well finally heard back from the dealer. Turns out the rear shock tower broke at the top and so the shock assembly needs replacing. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and a place to vent my frustration.
Sponsored