polyurethane, delrin, spherical ?

JCN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
20 Mustang GT, 14 F150, 23 F150
for vertical links, street toy, good, bad, better. What do you like, why? Thanks Jim
Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I’ve been running delrin for over 5K miles and they’re great. No issues to report. I recently pulled them off to clean and inspect the bushings and they looked brand new.
F004BE3F-B71D-4148-B704-A762BEE544FA.jpeg

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Delrin and spherical are supposedly better for drag and poly is better for street/auto cross/ general hoon
B741F1A4-72D3-48BF-9994-F23D4194AD79.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
JCN

JCN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
I have spherical on mine. Delrin for those is probably a better idea
my delrin got noisy, sent them in and they are swapping in spherical. Just wondering what I'm getting in to! Thanks

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
my delrin got noisy, sent them in and they are swapping in spherical. Just wondering what I'm getting in to! Thanks
Insert large grain of salt, because I have not used them or been in a car with them.

I do have expertise with my previous track car which is a sn95 that had not rubber bushings anywhere on anything particularly in the rear. Every piece of metal that attaches to the drive, and attaches to the body WILL introduce NVH. That ring gear, spinning at almost super sonic speeds and the dif doing what it does, makes noise. And like putting a screw driver handle against your ear and the tip on a valve cover looking for the bad lifter, same dif.

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer
The only rubber left in mine is the cam link. I didnt notice any difference in noise or harshness. Big unknown for me is longevity with exposed bearings. Theoretically it shouldnt be a problem as there is no lub to hold all that grit. I bot the boot seals for the toe links and managed to stretch something over the front control arm bearing (not perfectly sealed but better than nothing). Longevity is the big question. I sure hope I dont have to do the control arms again anytime soon and who knows how many times you can press something in and out of those arms before it too is no good.

Decible

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 HP
What links did you purchase?

Sponsored

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
The only rubber left in mine is the cam link. I didnt notice any difference in noise or harshness. Big unknown for me is longevity with exposed bearings. Theoretically it shouldnt be a problem as there is no lub to hold all that grit. I bot the boot seals for the toe links and managed to stretch something over the front control arm bearing (not perfectly sealed but better than nothing). Longevity is the big question. I sure hope I dont have to do the control arms again anytime soon and who knows how many times you can press something in and out of those arms before it too is no good.
I know there is a "boot" company for that kind of thing. I am looking to do it with bump steer kit. Spherical and heims are notorious to be noisy from getting dirty etc. The boots apparently can be fill with grease and slipped on. I dont know if there are any big enough for the big bearings or how that would work, but it definitely would help keep the gunk out.

I saw them last night nerding out on some bs i was looking for

Last edited:

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
OP
OP
JCN

JCN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
What links did you purchase?
J&M, I had them for a year and a half when they developed kind of a crunching sound on dips in pavement. Originally I couldn't feel or hear any difference from stock, and I'm not willing to speak against the delrin or J&M from this limited experience. I talked to them and he said this is a first for them, offered to relube them or put in sphericals for $40. so I decided to try the spherical. wondering if they might be a bit much for a street toy, time will tell.

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer
J&M, I had them for a year and a half when they developed kind of a crunching sound on dips in pavement. Originally I couldn't feel or hear any difference from stock, and I'm not willing to speak against the delrin or J&M from this limited experience. I talked to them and he said this is a first for them, offered to relube them or put in sphericals for $40. so I decided to try the spherical. wondering if they might be a bit much for a street toy, time will tell.
I did all mine spherical except for the cam link (next year). My opinion...poly or delrin is good in applications where there is no need to compensate for irregular motion paths like in the lower control arms and if they are greasible. If you plan on using a poly or delrin there, you may as well leave the rubber in there. They have no give and you basically change a bind for a bind. In places like the cam link and vert link they are fine. The only real concern, again my opinion, is the LCA. It's not easy to change. Everything else is easy to change if it wears out.

Reactions: JCN

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer
I had J&M spherical lower control arms in my 13 Shelby. Spherical on one end, poly on the other. Never had a issue in the 7 years I had them.
Sponsored