Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
I'm getting into a 10SPD EB PP car, and I'd like to hear about some relatively cost effective and easy mods. Jut something to make it a bit more exciting to drive.

I'm used to my GT PP MT82 car, and with those vehicles a basic tune and CAI makes a big difference. I'm not seeing a CAI & Tune package available for a 2019 EB car on Americanmuscle.com, so I'm ignorant on what can be done cheaply and easily.

Sadly, driving in DC traffic, and needing foot surgery on my clutch foot, has ended my ability to own my GT.
Sponsored

Reactions: Cxp

KewlWinter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EcoBoost Premium+ Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase
I'm getting into a 10SPD EB PP car, and I'd like to hear about some relatively cost effective and easy mods. Jut something to make it a bit more exciting to drive.

I'm used to my GT PP MT82 car, and with those vehicles a basic tune and CAI makes a big difference. I'm not seeing a CAI & Tune package available for a 2019 EB car on Americanmuscle.com, so I'm ignorant on what can be done cheaply and easily.

Sadly, driving in DC traffic, and needing foot surgery on my clutch foot, has ended my ability to own my GT.
First thing, get rid of the OEM intercooler for a larger unit that wont heatsoak the first pull you do. Plus you'll have more power throughout the band due to cooler charge temps. I personally went with the ATM unit, as CarDude99 did also this weekend. No tune required.

dausmus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost PP
Better intercooler, Ford Perf tune for the first 36k....then AP tuned by Adam.

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
First thing, get rid of the OEM intercooler for a larger unit that wont heatsoak the first pull you do. Plus you'll have more power throughout the band due to cooler charge temps. I personally went with the ATM unit, as CarDude99 did also this weekend. No tune required.
I appreciate the suggestion, but I'm just going to do the Ford Performance Calibration With K&N Air Filter EcoBoost 2018-2019.

This is a temporary car for a year or so, I'm not going to change the intercooler or do anything that's a major cost.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Yep, absolutely agree with @KewlWinter . See my previous thread, had I realized just how much the car was held back before, I would have done this a year ago. Also got the ATM unit, if you don't live in a hot climate then you should be able to get away with a stock sized unit.

Edit: sorry just saw your recent post, umm u sure you want to take the depreciation hit for just owning it for a year? Why not pick up a used 6 spd car and save some money and minimize the hit.

Sponsored

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
Yep, absolutely agree with @KewlWinter . See my previous thread, had I realized just how much the car was held back before, I would have done this a year ago. Also got the ATM unit, if you don't live in a hot climate then you should be able to get away with a stock sized unit.

Edit: sorry just saw your recent post, umm u sure you want to take the depreciation hit for just owning it for a year? Why not pick up a used 6 spd car and save some money and minimize the hit.
The car is new, with $6K off the sticker. At a very low interest rate, I'll be fine.

I can't do a manual, that's the whole point of what I'm doing. I don't want to trade in my GT, but I have to. Gotta get an auto and have foot surgery.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
The car is new, with $6K off the sticker. At a very low interest rate, I'll be fine.

I can't do a manual, that's the whole point of what I'm doing. I don't want to trade in my GT, but I have to. Gotta get an auto and have foot surgery.
Ya I get that. That third peddle is not kind to knees. You'll be surprised with the eco and a perf pack auto. It's a an amazing ride. I think that once you get a tune you may reconsider getting rid of it in a year.

BoostedMTBer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Hope the foot heals up! I think you have a solid game plan w/ the ford tune and a drop in filter. I know your hesitant to drop money into it, but the stock IC truly is trash. The thing will heat soak just getting on the highway. You don't need to go blow a wad of cash on a Levels, ETS, or ATM IC. However, I'd recommend hitting up @cvf-jason to see if he can cut you a deal on their new IC. https://www.cvfab.com/products/cvf-street-intercooler-2015-ford-mustang-ecoboost
CVF is making some high quality products at a great price for the EB

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
Cobb tune is what made the biggest difference in making my car more fun to drive. I've read reviews by owners who switched to Cobb after running the FP tune, and they like Cobb much better.

I agree with previous posts that if you decide to mod, intercooler is top priority. You might also want to check out exhausts; easy swap, and aftermarkets sound a whole lot better than factory. But maybe not, if you're buying active exhaust?

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Exhaust will get you nothing but noise. And usually not a good one.
Any power adders will be crippled without an upgraded intercooler.
If you are dead set against that kind of mod........ just do a FP tune and call it a day (warranty issues not a problem)

Cold air intakes do nothing either, just make turbo noises. Panel filter and Air raid mid pipe will help.

And I am keeping very much in mind that this will be a short term ownership.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (See my garage)
Vehicle Showcase
If you want to keep costs low theres always intercoolers being sold on this facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1539854766261300/
Im sure there are others too.

Spark plugs (NGK 6510) is another one to get reliable power. They are pretty cheap.

If you plan on keeping the car for a year Id go Ford Performance tune too.

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
Power-adders won't get you very far without a tune. The ECU will be trying to figure out why WGDC and boost targets are all out of whack and just be constantly pulling the reigns in on you. And a tune will only get you so far without an intercooler. I've lived in the DC area. After 15 minutes, the motor is going to be hamstrung by heat management and so much timing is going to be pulled. It will do nothing by frustrate you. Intercoolers are pretty cheap, secondhand ones go through the classifieds all the time for a couple hundred bucks.

In your case, sounds like a green panel drop-in filter and a nice axle-back would get you through the next year.

But in my opinion, a drop in filter, intercooler, tune and downpipe will turn that thing (especially with the 10 speed auto) into a monster. All of those things are easily installed/uninstalled and can be resold for a percentage of what you paid.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Hey pick up the tomei exhaust, and when you go to sell I call dibs on it lol.

mJolnir

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang
Dont waste your money on intakes, intercooler and a good tune with good octane fuel will give you most of the power the stock turbo can give, after that a catless downnpipe and a cutout will let you take the last bit.

Faceme

MOCJ JAPAN
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, Jeep Patriot limited
better resale if you leave it stock.
Sponsored