Sponsored

Please Educate Me On Torque Management

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
I think...I believe...are not facts. Lol. Best of luck on that. ;).
Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
If you log with vcmscanner, it is very easy to see when TC, AT, or anything else is pulling torque. In a straight line with good traction, it doesn’t pull anything that unplugging the fender plug would fix. I’ve logged this probably 100 times. Just hitting the TC button works in most cases. And again, there are a dozen or more other reasons torque could be cut by torque management that aren’t affected by the TC button or fender plug.

The OEM strategy actually has a “dyno mode” built into it, which probably does something similar to unplugging the fender plug...basically preventing the systems from going on the fritz due to sensing rear wheels at speed and front wheels stationary.

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
My car also had a 121 mph speed limiter built in from the factory with pp1 and ps4s tires. That was a surprise too... lol.

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
And again, there are a dozen or more other reasons torque could be cut by torque management that aren’t affected by the TC button or fender plug.
Mike, I am not disputing your tests, but regardless, I disagree that pulling plug is same as pushing button for 5 seconds. My data says differently.

On cold tires I can spin up to top of third from a stop with barely a 25 foot rollout in cooler air with zero computer aided interference. Try that with the button just pushed and it will cut power. I would rather modulate the throttle/wheel spin with my foot than the systems taking over. Again this on properly inflated ps4 street tire.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Mike, I am not disputing your tests, but regardless, I disagree that pulling plug is same as pushing button for 5 seconds. My data says differently.

On cold tires I can spin up to top of third from a stop with barely a 25 foot rollout in cooler air with zero computer aided interference. Try that with the button just pushed and it will cut power. I would rather modulate the throttle/wheel spin with my foot than the systems taking over. Again this on properly inflated ps4 street tire.
Im not disputing that. My point was that if you aren’t spinning then it makes no difference if you disable TC, disable AT, or unplug the fender plug.

Sponsored

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
Im not disputing that. My point was that if you aren’t spinning then it makes no difference if you disable TC, disable AT, or unplug the fender plug.
Are you on stock tune and what rear tire are you running? When you use drag mode (if you have it) you get perfect hook on 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 shifts on street?

My car is mild bolt on E85 tune. Without resorting to drag type tire the “spin” will always be part of the game in some sort or manner with drag shifts. ;).

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Are you on stock tune and what rear tire are you running? When you use drag mode (if you have it) you get perfect hook on 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 shifts on street?
Whipple supercharged, custom tune (mine), stock PP1 rubber. Of course I can spin wildly in gears 1-5. If I want a clean log with no interference from TM, I do pulls locked into 6th gear. In that case, leaving all versions of torque management on makes no difference at all.

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
Whipple supercharged, custom tune (mine), stock PP1 rubber. Of course I can spin wildly in gears 1-5. If I want a clean log with no interference from TM, I do pulls locked into 6th gear. In that case, leaving all versions of torque management on makes no difference at all.
Most higher gear 1:1 load pulls don’t have traction issues unless your making high whp. I think we are comparing a lot of apples to oranges in this conversation at this point... Traction in 6-7th gear is a moot point on my setup? The “plug” unplugged in my setup shows less computer controlled interference on shifts especially lower gears. lol...

Last edited:

CorvZ061

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
I’ll say the same as last time, something must be wrong with my car. When it’s warm out with tc off I can nail it in 1st at 4K rpm and no wheel spin, grab 2nd no spin just go. I do have the stock PP1 ps4s tires so that helps, but apparently every other manual car is uncontrollable with tc off when mine won’t spin.

Sponsored

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
I’ll say the same as last time, something must be wrong with my car. When it’s warm out with tc off I can nail it in 1st at 4K rpm and no wheel spin, grab 2nd no spin just go. I do have the stock PP1 ps4s tires so that helps, but apparently every other manual car is uncontrollable with tc off when mine won’t spin.
Yeah, that's weird. I drive a '14 GT and it'll burn the tires off if I stab it at 4K in first. Grab second and it spins 'em pretty hard, with TC off. I have a Steeda canned tune, but you should still be up 40 HP or so on my car. I have 3:31 gears.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
3.73 is a PP1 car
Ok, so the mt82 with 3.73’s has a taller first gear than the 10r80 with 3.55’s. My 10r80 car with your same tire would sometimes hook first and sometimes not, but with 20% more total gear. I could see the mt82 hooking first if the tires are in good shape and not cold. The stock base gt 235’s...not a chance.

CorvZ061

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Ok, so the mt82 with 3.73’s has a taller first gear than the 10r80 with 3.55’s. My 10r80 car with your same tire would sometimes hook first and sometimes not, but with 20% more total gear. I could see the mt82 hooking first if the tires are in good shape and not cold. The stock base gt 235’s...not a chance.
look at posts on here, the post mentioned earlier had several people mentioning how tail happy the manual cars are. A friend of mine test drove several manual cars and mention how tail happy it is compared to his hellcat. apparently he test drove my car too and experienced it. maybe i'm just not careless enough? I've been driving high hp cars for 15 years. lol. If i want it to spin, I can make it. but ordinarily it wont.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Part of me wishes I could see the logs of torque management when I ran 235's for lols. I think I got the car to hook one time on an on ramp and it actually felt fast. I never turned off traction control though, never felt like it was intelligent with such little tire.
Sponsored