Sponsored

Planning my setup and would like advice

BlueDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP Mustang GT - Ruby Red
So I have decided that upgrading the suspension on my '17 PP1 car is going to be my spring project and am having a really tough time deciding on what to do. I think I have decided on a mix and match approach. Some Steeda, some FRPP and some BMR. My driving is mostly twisties on the way to work. I probably won't be hitting the track much if it all. I just want some fun driving and relatively comfortable. So here is what I have in mind so far. What do you think? Too much for basically a DD? Though I don't drive it in the nasty stuff.

Any thoughts or advice would be great!
Thank you!

2015-2016 MUSTANG TRACK STRUT AND SHOCK KIT (M-18000-F)
https://parts.autonationfordwhitebe...ack-strut-and-shock-kit-m-18000-f?parent=1093

for springs I'm not sure if I should go with the handling version or stick with the performance version for a little softer ride

SP083 - Lowering Springs, Set Of 4, Handling Version
https://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=1578&superpro=0

SP080 - Lowering Springs, Set Of 4, Performance
https://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=1561&superpro=0

2015-2017 HANDLING PACK FASTNER KIT (M-FR3-FASTENA)
https://parts.autonationfordwhitebe...ng-pack-fastner-kit-m-fr3-fastena?parent=1093

Steeda S550 Mustang Front Roll Center & Bumpsteer Correction Kit
https://www.steeda.com/Steeda-S550-...eer-Correction-Kit-2015-2019-All_p_15413.html

Steeda S550 Mustang 'Stop the Hop' Starter Kit
https://www.steeda.com/Steeda-S550-Mustang-Stop-The-Hop-Starter-Kit-555-4455

Steeda S550 Mustang Adjustable Bumpstop Kit
https://www.steeda.com/steeda-s550-mustang-adjustable-bumpstop-kit.html

That's my main plan for now. Here are a few optional things I was mulling around and haven't decided if I need them or not.

Do I need camber plates? The FR kit say's it's set up for lowering springs so I don't know if these would help.
Mustang Caster Camber Plates, 2015+
https://www.maximummotorsports.com/Mustang-Caster-Camber-Plates-2015-P1480.aspx

S550 Upper Strut Mount Camber Plates Kit for Coilovers
https://www.steeda.com/S550-Upper-Strut-Mount-Camber-Plates-Kit-for-Coilovers-2015-2019_p_13902.html

Steeda S550 Mustang Rear Lower Control Arm Spherical Bearings
https://www.steeda.com/steeda-s550-...spherical-bearing-2015-2016-all-555-4117.html

Steeda S550 Mustang Front Control Arm Bearing Kit
https://www.steeda.com/Steeda-S550-Mustang-Front-Control-Arm-Bearing-Kit-2015-2019_p_13040.html
Sponsored

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
Frankly, I think it's a mistake to mix and match stuff from different vendors, at least in terms of springs/shocks/bars. I'd be looking for something that is engineered as a complete unit and made to work together. And probably from the people who designed and built the platform given that they know it better than anyone else. That would be Ford. So I used their track suspension kit and it is excellent, both on track and on the street plus the street ride is not degraded from the PP springs/shocks. It works very well on track, very happy with that package. Plus camber plates (not MM's, had a bad experience with them), I like Vorshlag's. Plus some more black bushings for the engine/trans mounts and suspension and rear cradle and you are driving a fine handling road course car that is quite civilized on the street.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
1. 2015-2016 MUSTANG TRACK STRUT AND SHOCK KIT (M-18000-F)
2. BMR SP083 handling springs
3. BMR CB005 cradle lockout kit
4. Steeda S550 Mustang Front Roll Center & Bumpsteer Correction Kit

Start with that. You'll be amazed at how good it handles AND rides.

Next steps after, as you so choose:
1. Camber plates
2. BMR SM760 rear shock mounts
3. Adjustable front swaybar
4. BMR CBK760 front control arm bearings or front (forward) control arms with bearings from Optimum Performance or Steeda (known as tension links)
5. BMR BK081 Rear LCA bearings

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Mixing and matching is not BAD. Folks act like if isnt all Steeda or all BMR its somehow bad. It isn't. When you see a deficiency or want to improve an aspect of the car, you find a solution, that simple. If you know what is causing it or what you are trying to get out of it and understand how the part works, it doesn't matter. Its personal preference and can work very well if well thought out. That's what I've done with my car. When you modify any part of the car you're changing what Ford intended. Nothing wrong with that, that's why we do it.

After my extensive search and running 3 different spring and damper combinations, I recommend the SP083. Better geometry than most on the market, and miles above the SP080 in terms of handling. Pair it with FRPP track dampers and a CB005 or CB762 (preferably both) and Steeda roll center correction lateral arms & bumpsteer kit and you'll have a street handling machine that'll be all you want.

The only thing holding me back is self control because obvious reasons. Confidence in the car is a non issue. You cant even fully exploit it on street I'm telling you.

I would do caster camber plates instead of the Steeda plates. And I prefer the design of BMR's subframe control better. Steeda's front control arms, particularly the lateral links are the shit. Easily among the best upgrades I have ever done on this car. Simply incredible the grip and feel it gives the car. And with SP083 and the lateral links you essentially have GT350R front geometry. GT350R+ is what I call it.

Like I said it took me a LONG time to get my car to this point. A lot of research, trial and error, no shortage of anguish, and determination. If you want the best handling you can reasonably expect on the street, you wont regret it.

If you want a more comfortable daily driver with an emphasis on improving the handling a little bit, go SP763's & FP Track and Steeda roll center lateral links & bumpsteer kit, and take your pick of subframe control parts. I DD my car everyday and have zero regrets, but not everyone has the same opinions as me.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
i think a lot has been said especially by 2 people that i made my suspension around but i don't know if you are doing the work yourself but i would recommend having to assemble struts and shocks once meaning just put on CC plates the first time instead of going without them then deciding you want them then having to go through the reinstalling then installing process. I would say same for shock mounts but those aren't as bad to change.

also if you buy the screws and nuts in the fastener kit separately you will spend almost $10 less. 6 nut that are in that kit already come with the CC plates so I guess that would depend on if you get the plates but I know that because I was planing on doing the same thing but decided to just buy those individually.

Last edited:

Sponsored

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Blue Dragon,

We have had great success with our Steeda suspension systems on & off the track, here is a write-up Billy Johnson did in regards to our set-up: https://www.steedablog.com/2017/07/25/tested-steeda-anti-wheel-hop-package/

The benefit of going with a manufacturer that can cover that much ground is that you can ensure the parts have been designed & engineered to work well together.

I can put you in contact with some of our suspension professionals to get you set-up with a package & pricing that fits your needs.

Also, we just had some nice feedback rolling in, in regards to our Steve McQueen package that carries a lot of the parts mentioned above ... this is what Richard said - "Truly blown away!"

54435742_1220158534806131_6060222623005016064_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_ht=scontent.fdet1-1.jpg

53871660_1220158548139463_4848073691185020928_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_ht=scontent.fdet1-1.jpg

OP
OP
BlueDragon

BlueDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP Mustang GT - Ruby Red
Thanks for all the advice Is there a reason you guys prefer the CB005 over the Steeda setup?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for all the advice Is there a reason you guys prefer the CB005 over the Steeda setup?
Effectiveness for your dollar. Plus compatibility with the CB762 braces and CJR002 jacking rails.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
So I have decided that upgrading the suspension on my '17 PP1 car is going to be my spring project and am having a really tough time deciding on what to do. I think I have decided on a mix and match approach. Some Steeda, some FRPP and some BMR. My driving is mostly twisties on the way to work. I probably won't be hitting the track much if it all. I just want some fun driving and relatively comfortable. So here is what I have in mind so far. What do you think? Too much for basically a DD? Though I don't drive it in the nasty stuff.
Looking at the easier one first (Too much for basically a DD?), this is where you have to know yourself. How much firmness you either prefer or will at least tolerate long-term. The SP083 spring rates are up around GT350R numbers, which for some people's really aren't all that bad on the street but could be deal-breaker stiff for other folks. SP080's are only a little firmer than base or PP1, which suggests to me that they're primarily intended for lowering as an appearance mod than for performance improvement. Actually, the shocks and struts - their valvings, actually - tend to be more responsible for praises/complaints regarding ride quality. They're where harshness mostly comes from. And even here you're going to get different opinions, at least one of which wouldn't match your own. For example, some folks like Koni yellows, others feel that they're a bit too harsh.

On the side topic of mix-and-match vs kit-in-a-box, count me in the mix and match group. But with adjustability on things like shocks, struts, and sta-bars being one requirement and it being on me to figure out what's going to work with what else to end up where I want it as another. Yes, this means you either end up doing a bit of your own engineering or chasing down the opinions of somebody who has and was chasing a similar end result to what you're looking for.

Note that I'm not suggesting the sourcing of components from different vendors just to be using different vendors, it's about being open to doing so if you've got good enough reason for choosing (say) Brand S over Ford or Brand B for some things, Brand B over Ford or Brand S for others, and Ford or maybe a different vendor or even a DIY solution for some other thing. FWIW, I've got parts from six different sources on my '08, not counting the Koni yellows or any of the DIY stuff, and I wouldn't be the least bit afraid to take the same approach to developing a S550 GT if I couldn't find everything with the specs I was looking for at only a couple of places.

I do understand the appeal of the kit in a box - it's one stop shopping, no engineering or guessing on your part required. But as one observation, that means taking what somebody else has determined works well for them, which might not match what you want in your driving equally well. And as another, I'd defy just about anybody to identify any difference between running Brand B's 800 lb/in rear springs vs Brand S's 800 lb/in rear springs. Even in direct back to back driving. But the quarter inch difference in ride height could well drive the decision for some.

Do you have any plans for upgrading the wheels and tires? If so, would you be thinking "PP2 level"? Between PP1 and PP2? Your suspension decisions now might want to be made with that in mind.

Norm

Last edited:

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
The Steeda IRS braces connect to three (3) strategic places ... eliminating deflection. Here is a nice video showing our IRS braces, which have been designed, engineered & manufactured to work in conjunction with our jacking braces.

We use them on both our #20 Race Car & our record-setting Silver Bulle - check out the reviews on Steeda - https://www.steeda.com/steeda-s550-mustang-rear-irs-subframe-brace-2015-coupe-555-5754.html American Muscle (over a 100 positive reviews) https://www.americanmuscle.com/steeda-irs-subframe-braces-2015-coupe.html, with even more on CJ https://www.cjponyparts.com/steeda-rear-subframe-support-braces-irs-fastback-2015-2019/p/SFC44/

I challenge you to find more positive reviews than the Steeda IRS braces :) - reviews that you can quantify!

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Totally agree with what @Norm Peterson said.

As far as stiffness goes, everyone's preferences are different. It was surprising how livable the SP083s actually are, especially when properly controlled with good dampers. The Ford Performance track kit has springs of similar rates to the SP083 and the GT350R. The only difference is the SP083 has a little less off a drop (good IMO) and the rear spring rate is linear (also good IMO) as opposed to a dual rate.

Long story short, it is very responsive and also stiff, but not in a crashy or overly harsh manner that you might find on overly damped setups. The responsiveness- well that is a feel thing. There are several other great spring offerings IMO from different manufacturers that the OP would be happy with. IMO my setup is as extreme as one would want to go on the street and I followed the GT350R as a baseline to arrive where I did.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
@BmacIL nailed it....

Go this route and enjoy.

J.P.B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
@BmacIL nailed it....

Go this route and enjoy.
@BMR Tech: You would do No. 4 above before adding an adjustable sway bar up front?

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
@BmacIL nailed it....

Go this route and enjoy.
+1 Also agree this is a good set to start with (and maybe end with).

If it were me, I’d also do GT350R swaybars, or maybe a GT350R rear bar and a Steeda or BMR 35mm front adjustable bar so that you can dial a little bit of oversteer or understeer to your preference, since your Ford Track shocks wont have any adjustment.

sy1462

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Older thread but wanted to comment that there is some great advice on this forum... Bluemustang really helped me nail it on the first try saving me a lot of time and money. I did:

BMR SP083's
Ford racing track dampers
BMR vertical links
BMR cradle lockout
Steeda rear shock mounts
MRR 19" 275/305 wheels with MPS4 tires

FINALLY got all the parts in and alignment done this month (had the parts sitting in my garage for over a year :headbang:). Night and day difference. Haven't tracked the car but driving it around town is really fun. Was worried about the drop in the front with a a supercharger and the extra weight, but it looks and drives amazing. It feels more like a sports car now... not as cushy as it was but not too harsh either even on rough roads and is incredibly more planted and solid feeling.
Sponsored