Please review my set up and alignment and give advice

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
Hi all please review. My primary concern is that the inside edges of my tires were wearing prematurely, mostly on the front. My driving style is daily driver sometimes spirited and occasional dragstrip.The car is a 2015 GT not performance pack original owner never wrecked or curbed etc. tires rotated regularly.

8000 miles- Upgraded 19 x 8 factory rims and Pirelli Pzero all seasons to 20 x 8.5 factory rims with Pirelli summer tires and added firewall and strut tower brace according to Ford performance instructions.

19500, lowered with Ford Performance touring springs, following instructions.

20,000, alignment done today, new tires tomorrow.

At the time the car was lowered I noticed the inside fronts were worn flat over 80% of the tire and 20% of the inside Edge was worn at an angle with small amount of cord showing. Rears were worn in a similar fashion but not as severe.

See below for the after lowering alignment specs and the after alignment spec.

I guess I have two questions.

One is the caster being out of spec a concern? The right front had the worst inside wear.

Two is the rear or front camber too severe for my driving style considering I’m already having trouble with inside tire wear?

Thanks! Any other input is welcomed. Also, I got about 20,000 miles or so out of my summer tires. That tells you my driving style!
F9A977DE-D09B-4F4A-8AF3-079E46759F06.jpeg
A1403799-B526-4C39-9DA8-465878AAC700.jpeg
Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I've not seen an alignment where the front camber exceeded the rear on these cars - to me that is odd and not ideal. I'd re-do the rear to be at about -1.1 camber (right now you are at basically the maximum negative camber possible with stock camber adjustment) and have a small amount of toe in (not sure if that shows up as negative or positive on sheets, I forget). Front I'd have 1/16 total toe in and retain your current camber setting.

Wouldn't worry about caster. Can't adjust that without camber/caster plates as far as I know. Suppose you could try and unbolt the top three bolts on the right strut and shift it if there's a little play where the studs go through the tower and see what that does.

These are my suggestions - doesn't mean I'm right.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Front looks great.

Rear camber needs to be brought down to about -1.25 rear camber +/- 0.15, toe needs to be 0.10 per side, +/- 0.01. It could be a little less but definitely should be closer left and right.

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
There shouldn't be that much difference in caster on the front. When you installed the springs, did you make sure the strut mounts were reinstalled with the notch facing inboard on both sides?

OP
OP

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
There shouldn't be that much difference in caster on the front. When you installed the springs, did you make sure the strut mounts were reinstalled with the notch facing inboard on both sides?
A mechanic in our Mustang club did the springs, he has done hundreds.i do trust him.....is this something I can visually check? If so how?

The car runs straight down the road with no negative symptoms.

Sponsored

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
You should be able to pull the wheel and check from underneath with an inspection mirror and a flashlight. I don't think there's a way to check from above, you could maybe measure the distance from the strut rod center to the edge of the strut tower opening, but that might not be that accurate.

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Actually, you should be able to see the two notches near the center, they almost align with one of the bolts. See image below, they should be aligned like this on the car if installed properly.

pU6NFKO.jpg

Last edited:

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
A little extra caster on the right side is fine. If anything it will help a car drive straighter on a road with a lot of crown.
Sponsored