Sponsored

Would like confirmation regarding suspension changes

scherisho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Hi all,
I've done some searching through the forums and I think I have a good idea on how I want to proceed with my suspension changes. I have a 2015 GT non PP.

I used to own a 2006 GT and I installed the roush suspension package and I really liked it. Stance was perfect and the ride was still comfortable while increasing performance. I know Roush offers a kit for the 2015 but it is quite pricey and might be overkill for what I am looking for. Although if you have the kit I'd be interested to hear what you think of it.

What I'm looking to do is lower the car to reduce the wheel gap and increase the handling performance while retaining a comfortable ride. I use the car for road trips and daily driving. I do not have plans to take it to the track. The car is fun to drive now and I'm sure with a few upgrades it will be even more fun.

I spoke with Kelly at BMR and I'm looking to install the BMR minimal drop springs, cradle lockout, PP shocks/struts, and steeda shock mounts. What do you think of this setup? Is there something different I should be looking at? I am a little concerned with the PP shocks/struts as usually I feel OEM is lacking at times...but I may be wrong as well.

Let me know your thoughts and thanks for the help.
Eric
Sponsored

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
Hi all,
I've done some searching through the forums and I think I have a good idea on how I want to proceed with my suspension changes. I have a 2015 GT non PP.

I used to own a 2006 GT and I installed the roush suspension package and I really liked it. Stance was perfect and the ride was still comfortable while increasing performance. I know Roush offers a kit for the 2015 but it is quite pricey and might be overkill for what I am looking for. Although if you have the kit I'd be interested to hear what you think of it.

What I'm looking to do is lower the car to reduce the wheel gap and increase the handling performance while retaining a comfortable ride. I use the car for road trips and daily driving. I do not have plans to take it to the track. The car is fun to drive now and I'm sure with a few upgrades it will be even more fun.

I spoke with Kelly at BMR and I'm looking to install the BMR minimal drop springs, cradle lockout, PP shocks/struts, and steeda shock mounts. What do you think of this setup? Is there something different I should be looking at? I am a little concerned with the PP shocks/struts as usually I feel OEM is lacking at times...but I may be wrong as well.

Let me know your thoughts and thanks for the help.
Eric
That is a very good starting setup, handles and rides better than PP, better control and no additional harshness. The springs and dampers, there are choices depending on how stiff you'd possibly want...but the cradle lockout and shock mounts, they are absolute must haves.

With suspension stuff, trust Kelly, he knows this stuff like the back of his hand. The only thing I would add is the LCA bearing, it's a bit more work but definitely worth the improvements. I'm sure Kelly will agree on this. :cheers:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed. What Kelly suggested and what you've listed is an amazing setup.

I would also highly recommend all the PP front-end bracing (FRPP strut tower & K-brace kit, firewall brace and lower underbody K-brace). Once you've got all of it, the car actually feels significantly more responsive and composed without harming ride (actually overall improves it, IMO, because of how it responds).

OP
OP

scherisho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
BmacIL,
I have the strut tower brace, and the K member brace. The K member was stock and I added the strut tower brace. What is the firewall brace and lower underbody K-brace you speak of? Any chance you could attach a link or part number? What about adding the PP sway bars?

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
If your car is not PP, which I assume is not since you're adding PP dampers, then it's lacking those two parts.

The firewall brace is a rectangular type of part goes behind and under the upper K brace (which is the V shape part). The order of assembly is, first the firewall brace, then the upper K, and lastly the tower brace. This part can't really be seen from the hood...under the panel where the wiper arms sit.

The lower K brace is another V shaped part, goes behind where the belly pan is. You'll need a new PP belly pan as well, plus some bolts and screws.

BTW, [MENTION=10281]BmacIL[/MENTION], if you could please post the PN's again for reference...ordering those parts for myself one of these days.

Sponsored

OP
OP

scherisho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Sweet. I actually added the PP chin spoiler/guard?? and belly pan in 2016. Thanks for the help all.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
If your car is not PP, which I assume is not since you're adding PP dampers, then it's lacking those two parts.

The firewall brace is a rectangular type of part goes behind and under the upper K brace (which is the V shape part). The order of assembly is, first the firewall brace, then the upper K, and lastly the tower brace. This part can't really be seen from the hood...under the panel where the wiper arms sit.

The lower K brace is another V shaped part, goes behind where the belly pan is. You'll need a new PP belly pan as well, plus some bolts and screws.

BTW, [MENTION=10281]BmacIL[/MENTION], if you could please post the PN's again for reference...ordering those parts for myself one of these days.
Here's a good compilation for the firewall brace and underbody K-brace (and hardware). You don't need the PP belly pan to swap on the lower brace or cover with the oil filter flap. Separate parts.
attachment.png

Here's the firewall brace. It ties the K-brace from the FRPP kit to the dash and triangulates the whole thing. I am still surprised at how much more solid the front-end feels over bumps with just adding this piece to the FRPP tower brace and K-brace I've had for almost 3 years.
295wjnk.jpg

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97313

You'll need those above parts along with 4 of these: W717964-S450B
Cowl Top Panel Bolt

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Here's a good compilation for the firewall brace and underbody K-brace (and hardware). You don't need the PP belly pan to swap on the lower brace or cover with the oil filter flap. Separate parts.
attachment.png

Here's the firewall brace. It ties the K-brace from the FRPP kit to the dash and triangulates the whole thing. I am still surprised at how much more solid the front-end feels over bumps with just adding this piece to the FRPP tower brace and K-brace I've had for almost 3 years.
295wjnk.jpg

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97313

You'll need those above parts along with 4 of these: W717964-S450B
Cowl Top Panel Bolt
If your car came with the PP / 20" rim package which already has the K brace/Strut tower brace / under brace, it should also have that firewall brace (FR3Z-63016A52-A)

Correct??

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
If your car came with the PP / 20" rim package which already has the K brace/Strut tower brace / under brace, it should also have that firewall brace (FR3Z-63016A52-A)

Correct??
I believe so but don't know for certain.

OP
OP

scherisho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I'll look at the car before ordering. It's in storage right now so I'll have to wait as I'm 2 hours away from the car.

Sponsored

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
I believe so but don't know for certain.
Can anyone confirm? Its too cold in the garage to start pulling stuff apart just to check.

I find it odd for ford to sell this part separate if it didn't at least come as an option on some cars.

OP
OP

scherisho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Hi all. A few more questions. I think I'm settled on springs. BMR min drop. I was looking at the PP shocks/struts. What about the ford racing M-18000-F kit with the BMR springs?
Seems like the ford racing kit is a pretty good bargin (from White Bear Ford).

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all. A few more questions. I think I'm settled on springs. BMR min drop. I was looking at the PP shocks/struts. What about the ford racing M-18000-F kit with the BMR springs?
That is an extremely good package.

I also have a full set of PP shocks and struts that only have 1400 miles on them available for sale. PM me if interested.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
If money isn't an issue, I highly recommend getting better shocks and struts than the PPs. Steeda and Ford Performance are the typical go-to sets.

OP
OP

scherisho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Money is always a part of the conversation but it's value I'm after. New PP shocks/struts with PP strut mounts will be around $400. The Ford Racing kit is about $550.
Thanks for the opinions.
Eric
Sponsored