Planning a road trip, need advice

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
I'm leaving this Thursday, going west on I-10 to Phoenix then north to Vegas. Can someone tell me what to expect between Vegas and Denver? I've never been in that area. It looks like I-15 & I-70. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I've been down that stretch many times, it's pretty straightforward. Some neat views when you cross from Nevada into Arizona and then back into Utah. If you have time, it's much nicer views if you go through Zion national park and take highway 89 to highway 70 instead of just I-15 the whole time. You'll get off I-15 near St. George and take SR-9 into Hurricane and then through the park. Probably will only add an hour or two to your trip.

Also, the stretch from Salina, UT to Green River UT is one of the longest stretches in the US without services. It's recommended to fill up in Salina, since you won't see a gas station until Green River. There will be multiple signs warning you of this (mostly headed west though).

Also, pro tip, don't speed in that small Arizona section. They almost always have a trooper waiting to get you, lmao. You won't see many cops anywhere else. Possibly a few in Utah, this is our "month of death" or something similar so they run more speed traps.

Once you get into Colorado it's pretty straight forward. The climb from Dillon is pretty daunting though, it's one of the steepest and longest of any highway I'm pretty sure. The Eisenhower tunnel is pretty cool. And you get to go through some really beautiful sections next to the Colorado river as it carves its path through. Glenwood Canyon is especially gorgeous. If you like peaches, there's a place near Grand Junction called Palisade that only grows that and nothing else. They have a store that has a ton of amazing peach concoctions, including one of my favorite salsas ever.

Last edited:

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
I've been down that stretch many times, it's pretty straightforward. Some neat views when you cross from Nevada into Arizona and then back into Utah. If you have time, it's much nicer views if you go through Zion national park and take highway 89 to highway 70 instead of just I-15 the whole time. You'll get off I-15 near St. George and take SR-9 into Hurricane and then through the park. Probably will only add an hour or two to your trip.

Also, the stretch from Salina, UT to Green River UT is one of the longest stretches in the US without services. It's recommended to fill up in Salina, since you won't see a gas station until Green River. There will be multiple signs warning you of this (mostly headed west though).

Also, pro tip, don't speed in that small Arizona section. They almost always have a trooper waiting to get you, lmao. You won't see many cops anywhere else. Possibly a few in Utah, this is our "month of death" or something similar so they run more speed traps.

Once you get into Colorado it's pretty straight forward. The climb from Dillon is pretty daunting though, it's one of the steepest and longest of any highway I'm pretty sure. The Eisenhower tunnel is pretty cool. And you get to go through some really beautiful sections next to the Colorado river as it carves its path through. Glenwood Canyon is especially gorgeous. If you like peaches, there's a place near Grand Junction called Palisade that only grows that and nothing else. They have a store that has a ton of amazing peach concoctions, including one of my favorite salsas ever.
+1 on zion.really fun to park and walk in the river

OP
OP
lacanteen

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
That's the advice I was looking for. I've booked a night in Grand Junction. I have time for side trips. US 50 from Grand Junction to Pueblo looks like a nice ride. Not sure where I'm going from there.

From Phoenix to Vegas I'm taking US highway to I-40 then west just into California then US highway to Vegas. I see the route to Zion, I should have the time. I'm staying in north Vegas near the race track.

As for speeding, I'm rarely more than 1 or 2 MPH over the posted limit.

Thanks again. I'll take more advice if it's out there. :sunglasses:

Sponsored

Justpassingas

Justpassingas
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
21 GT Premium 2016 F150
If you’re on Rt 70 in CO heading east towards Denver look for Rifle CO Rt 13 to Craig CO Rt 40 and follow Rt 40 through Steam Boat Springs to Berthoud Pass and back onto Rt 70…it makes a big loop with nice views…I did this last year leaving Denver for Utah.

OP
OP
lacanteen

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
Bring a spare tire! You never know..Better safe then sorry..Be prepared..
I was a Boy Scout…!! LOL Go Tigers
Grandpa Bill
I have that as well as a 20 volt impact gun.

OP
OP
lacanteen

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
If you’re on Rt 70 in CO heading east towards Denver look for Rifle CO Rt 13 to Craig CO Rt 40 and follow Rt 40 through Steam Boat Springs to Berthoud Pass and back onto Rt 70…it makes a big loop with nice views…I did this last year leaving Denver for Utah.
That looks tempting. I may up my stay in Grand Junction to 2 nights and explore the north before going south on US 50

Justpassingas

Justpassingas
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
21 GT Premium 2016 F150
That looks tempting. I may up my stay in Grand Junction to 2 nights and explore the north before going south on US 50
Something to think about…When I was leaving Denver for Moab I had time to kill so I decided to got off Rt70…might be 2-3 hours longer but I was in no rush.

Sponsored

Assh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red GT
Not much to see on 50S till you get to Ridgway.
If you take the Uniweep Tabeguache it will spit you out at Telluride. Take the backside of the Million dollar Highway to Durango and 550N to Silverton over all the high mountain passes. I bet there will still be snow. After Red Mountain pass you're on 550N back to GJT. Doable day trip.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lacanteen

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)

jcttraveler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Convertible 2019
I want to get out that way. At the risk of highjacking this thread, I'm interested in comments on Route 50 in that area. I'm in Virginia. I've been tempted to drive the length of 50 across the country. I've done some snooping on Google street view through portions of eastern and central CO and it looks nice.