Sponsored

Road trip planning.

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2013 Scion tC.
I fly to Bozeman Montana and driving back towards Dayton ohio. What is the best route that I should consider taking? I arrive feb 25th despite it being either dry and warm, or snowy and awful. It looks like it'll be snowy as of now. What route would you take, any sightseeing places along either of these routes?

Would you do anything to the mustang for the trip? I am taking "track wrap" and putting it on the full bumper and hood and high impact areas, and the dealer is giving me collision tape to put ontop of those areas as well, as soon as I get it back hopefully chip free, getting the car covered in expel ultimate pro PPF. so trying my best to preserve paint. Going to stay far back off of cars and such, and semis.

Its an 2017 mustang with like 6 miles, never titled. So the battery is probably 2 years old, should I make them give me a new battery or just ask for it to be tested? Should I make them change the oil or should I keep the 2 year old oil in engine (I was under impression new oil has additives for breaking in an engine) so if the oils fine, id like to rock it and then just change it after I get home 1700 miles or so.

51745002_10157272427048923_4968049565329522688_n.jpg
51757387_10157272427018923_8670737108819771392_n.jpg
Sponsored

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Do you want to do this trip? Do you need to do this trip? It would be significantly a lot cheaper for you and easier on the car to have it transported on a flat bed or enclosed transport. I did when I purchased my current GT from about 1300 miles away.

If you insist on the trip - get a NoviStretch bra or something similar. I've posted pics of it on here before.

OP
OP
FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
I read online that track wrap PPF is really good, got tons of it, and also the dealer is throwing on collision tape everywhere, I got quotes and they was like 1500 bucks to ship it. 200 was my plane ticket, just going to do it. I drove from Alaska to ohio just fine in my other car, imagine if I take my time and be careful should be perfectly fine. My car is going to look like its seran wrapped by time its done.

Im covering entire front bumper, everything facing forward, entire hood, most of the fenders, entire rear quarter/rockers where wheels have derby impact, mirrors, etc. A waste of material, but dealer has no issue giving me what I want. and im bringing my track wrap which is 8mm thick that is going under collision tape too.

The road routes are my concerns, will my mustang make it through the terrain without issue? it has the all season tires on it. Pony package wheels. the p zero Nero or something. The trip hopefully is fun, but more or less going to be stressful. I have plenty of time off work and school so figure why not have the drive.

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
Practice putting on your snow chains.

OP
OP
FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
Erm. I don’t have any intention of using chains, never needed those in Alaska. Really think I’d need them on this?

Sponsored

Deleted member 35786

Between the snow, slush and salt your car is going to be a mess by the time you arrive in Ohio. As another poster stated you should highly consider to have it transported. Get free quotes and bids with Uship.com, or wait till spring to drive it back.

OP
OP
FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
Would 3 days of salt and slush really harm a car? I was just going to fully wash it once I got back. If I had all kinds of protection on it, full spray down I wouldn’t of imagined would harm it

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
No offense Donald, but why did you make this post?

I suggested shipping because of the hassle and the expense of the trip - you don't want to. I suggested a NoviStretch bra or similar - you disagree.
Someone else suggested snow chains - you disagree with needing them - even though you have summer only tires on a RWD vehicle.
Someone else agreed with me on the shipping of the car - and brought up damage to the car because of the road conditions with the snow and slush - and you're questioning their advice.

Three people have given you advice - and you've discarded all of our advice. So again, why the post in the first place if you've already made up your mind?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I don't know anything about the Wyoming part of the drive. If there's no difference between the two routes in the Wyoming part of the drive I would tend to take the more southerly route. I can tell you that I-90 through South Dakota is terribly boring.

The other variable is the weather. I wouldn't book any hotels in advance, but instead be ready to adapt to whatever is happening when you are driving. The snow can get cleaned up fairly quickly, but if you can delay and avoid driving when it's terrible I would do that. Even waiting just a few hours to avoid the worst of the snow and ice is worth it. Hotels are cheap in the middle of nowhere. If you get bad weather just stop and wait it out.

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
Just about all of I-90 is boooring. If you're taking the northern route, you'll be driving past the black hills and badlands in western SD. Beautiful scenery and plenty of touristy trap stuff, especially in the black hills. South Dakota Air and Space museum ouside of Rapid City.. and of course the obligatory stop at Wall Drug.

The southern route will likely be better weather but even more boring.

Sponsored

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
Just about all of I-90 is boooring. If you're taking the northern route, you'll be driving past the black hills and badlands in western SD. Beautiful scenery and plenty of touristy trap stuff, especially in the black hills. South Dakota Air and Space museum ouside of Rapid City.. and of course the obligatory stop at Wall Drug.

The southern route will likely be better weather but even more boring.
I've driven both. I like the northern route because I like to stop in Minneapolis. It is boring, but less than the southern option. Driving a Mustang on either one through any kind of winter conditions won't be the best experience, and you will pick up a ton of road rash to your car due to the extra sand, gravel, and what not that they spread on the roads in the winter.

Shipping the car is not a bad suggestion.

RugbyRef

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
No offense Donald, but why did you make this post?

I suggested shipping because of the hassle and the expense of the trip - you don't want to. I suggested a NoviStretch bra or similar - you disagree.
Someone else suggested snow chains - you disagree with needing them - even though you have summer only tires on a RWD vehicle.
Someone else agreed with me on the shipping of the car - and brought up damage to the car because of the road conditions with the snow and slush - and you're questioning their advice.

Three people have given you advice - and you've discarded all of our advice. So again, why the post in the first place if you've already made up your mind?
With all due respect, he did not ask about shipping the car. I took from his post that he is determined to drive it back. In regards to the using a bra or installing chains, he simply made the decision not to. Really...what do you care if he does or not? I thought this forum was designed so that anyone could ask anything that came to mind. Whether they (or we) use that information is entirely up to the person receiving it. On the other hand - thanks for recommending the use of a bra to cover the front end...it's definitely something I'll keep in mind if I take an extended trip like he is!

Cheers!

Tim

OP
OP
FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
Its nothing against opinion, I am flying there and cannot pack a giant bra for car. thats why I was asking opinions on collision tape/track wrap. If I literally wrap the entire car and everything facing forward, full hood, entire sides, wheel areas, mirrors, etc with wrap that wouldn't it save the car? I got quotes and they are high and I read online open trailers are not good for cars but the closed trailers are like 2k+

Ive never used chains as I always heard they destroy the cars, never used a set myself just had good tires which this car probably isn't as great but should be doable.

Track wrap + collision tape on the highest impact areas, and then I am planning to wrap entire sides, like literally like a giant sandwich packed lunch or a cd shrink wrapped. dealer said the collision tape will not harm the cars paint upon removal.

if I did get some salt blast on the car, will it polish/buff out with a good detail? I plan on going to the car wash day 1 as soon as I get back, they have an under carriage only option, run it through a couple times.

I wanted more advice upon the routes on what would be safer/less dangerous or more enjoyable.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Ive never used chains as I always heard they destroy the cars, never used a set myself just had good tires which this car probably isn't as great but should be doable.
I've driven an AWD car with Pirelli P7 all seasons and found them to be mediocre on snow and ice. I wouldn't expect the P Zero Neros to be much better and, personally, would never take a multi-day drive through northern states on them.

That being said, you're going. You also aren't interested in chains (and, frankly, i wouldn't be either). I would, however, take along four "snow socks" for the tires if I was stuck making that kind of trip. An example here: https://www.amazon.com/ISSE-Tractio...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B079LLH7N8

I've never used them (I used dedicated winter tires on everything I drive, except when caught out by an early season storm), but I've heard people say that they're better than a sharp stick in the eye when caught in really nasty stuff.

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
Donald, it's probably going to be one of those "wait, and see" situations. I wouldn't worry about the salt, and crap as there isn't much you can do if you run into it. Just flush the frame, and wash the car good. You'll be fine. And, after you get it home wait for a good rain, and drive the car. That should get anything left flushed out. Hopefully it will be fair weather, and the trip will be an enjoyable one. The wife, and I have been on both of your posted routes, and they are beautiful rides. Of course that is until you get to the Chicago area. :)

BTW, I would ask them to change the oil, but the battery should be fine. However, it won't hurt to ask about the battery. You never know, they may just get you a new one. Good luck.
Sponsored

Last edited: