Performance Pack or Not?

Scstang04

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Looking to buy a 2015-2017 GT Automatic and plan on doing a Turbo build with Hellions sleeper kit 800~ RWHP on e85. My main question is this: How important is it to get a performance pack? My goals for the car are a cruise around town weekend/highway cruising car that I do not plan to put on the track (as of yet). I know I would enjoy the large brakes, but how much else in the package is necessary?

Any Insight to my next few questions would be greatly appreciated!

1. Im not sure if the performance package wheels would be suitable for a turbo build. Are they wide enough to be useful or am I going to be spinning them at 70 mph going down the highway? (I'll probably be going with a street drag radial tire)

2. Gauges: I would imagine ill be replacing these with others anyways

3. Brakes: Are the larger brakes actually worth it for a casual cruise around car that will NEVER be taken to an auto-cross style track?

4. The differential and rear end gearing: I know that the PP has a steeper gear ratio that is not as useful for Automatic turbocharged application. Other than the gear ratio, does the PP Diff really make a difference? Is the PP diff more reliable under heavier load?

5. suspension: feel free to school me up on this!

Again, any knowledgeable inputs will be greatly appreciated! Im wanting to make sure I have zero regrets once I buy the car and start this build, please help me plan accordingly! Thanks!
Sponsored

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
Power pack car here Procharged...have changed a lot. With your plans I would not go the PP route. The only plus IMO would be a bigger radiator....everything else adds weight.

ENPhoto

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ErikNymanPhotography.com
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt Premium Performance Pack
I have a premium PP w recaros, so I'll chime in.

The downsides:

PP wheels - heavy. Only 9.5" wide in the back. I went to a 10 and 11.5 staggered setup.

Gauges - It's vacuum and oil pressure/temp. Once you go to a boosted setup, the vac gauge isn't going to show boost psi...and the ford replacement isn't as accurate as an aftermarket one.

PP upgrades (larger sway bar, aero components, etc) - I honestly think that it's not required.

Brembos - I personally haven't noticed that much improvement on stock base model vs PP braking performance on the street. Plus they seize a bit in an overnight rainfall and always stick during that morning startup. (A different pad setup might be better though). I do love the initial bite they have when braking.

3.73's - Great for NA and I enjoy them on mildly boosted applications. Most people swap to better gearing once they put down good power.

---------

I could have saved money in the long run by not opting for the Performance Package....but wanted all the options I could get.

When it comes down to it, it's really a personal choice.

OP
OP

Scstang04

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Thanks guys. I guess my main concern comes down to the differential. Is the stock clutch type diff strong enough to handle 800~ rwhp? Does the pp Torsen diff give much better traction in a straight line?

Sponsored

Ragtop1995

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford F-150 Platinum Ecoboost Screw
Maybe I'm remembering it wrong but I thought 15-17 PP cars had to be manual.

You are remembering correctly. Only the 2015 50th anniversary cars (not the ones with just the appearance package) were available in PP and Auto.

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
With a pp or any other manual your going to be slower and have the tendency to brake more components but I wouldn't have it any other way!:rockon:

Vegas5OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 PP
If you want an auto dont worry about perf pack cause they only come in a stick shift 15-17.

erikkire18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 Hellion TT
get a base model and build from there. I put hellions top mount on my PP car and replaced the pumpkin for 3.31's, bought new welds since i drive with a et street R bias in the back and skinnies up front, you can ,maybe run street tires or or something but with that much power its pointless. I had to replace my brembos since they didn't fit the front wheels. so yah, everything that came with the PP basically came off haha and like stated above they only come manual.

OP
OP

Scstang04

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Thanks guys, after months of researching builds and car shopping for a manual, I only recently decided am automatic is a better option for my vision of a turbo setup. I hadn’t even payed attention to the fact that autos don’t come with PP . Guess that makes my decision pretty easy
Sponsored