Sponsored

Per Ford (officially) the 2011-2019 F150/Mustang 5.0 “Typewriter Tick” is a normal characteristic

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
My 351C even with a filled filter takes about 10 seconds to have oil pressure.
So you're 50 year old tech engine takes 10 seconds ? Great. My COYOTE is instant.
My 440 was worse than yer 351C. Factory external oil pump, oil filter that sits horizonally
on said pump. Never hurt the bearings. The engine can sit for a 100 years, and there will
be oil on the bearings.
Sponsored

coupe3w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67 Mustang FB, 2021 Mach 1, HP, Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
So you're 50 year old tech engine takes 10 seconds ? Great. My COYOTE is instant.
My 440 was worse than yer 351C. Factory external oil pump, oil filter that sits horizonally
on said pump. Never hurt the bearings. The engine can sit for a 100 years, and there will
be oil on the bearings.
Just stating the facts. But I don't care what your gauge reads when cranking all wet sump oil systems DO NOT have instant oil pressure to all the bearings after sitting. And after an oil change it does take some time to get the oil pump primed again. It's just the facts.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
It's just the facts.
K.. so what's the facts ? 1 second ? .1 second ? 17 seconds ? You floor it right after it fires up ? :rolleyes:

coupe3w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
K.. so what's the facts ? 1 second ? .1 second ? 17 seconds ? You floor it right after it fires up ? :rolleyes:
Have you ever built an engine and before start up you prime the oil pump with a drill to spin the pump? How long does it take to get resistance on the drill? Believe me it takes some time. I never put a stop watch on it so I would not be able to give you an exact time. But it does take at least 15 to 20 seconds.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Have you ever built an engine and before start up you prime the oil pump with a drill to spin the pump?
K you keep going back to this. Those are gear pumps, usually run off the cam which is going 1/2 the crank speed. Totally different than the crank driven gear-rotor pumps in the Coyote, which ironically, run at crank speed.

Sponsored

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
K you keep going back to this. Those are gear pumps, usually run off the cam which is going 1/2 the crank speed. Totally different than the crank driven gear-rotor pumps in the Coyote, which ironically, run at crank speed.
Either way, regardless of what is driving the oil pump, nothing is instantaneous. It may take 2-4 seconds, or may take 10-15 seconds. There is not an oil system in the world that provides oil to every bearing and friction surface instantaneously. But I will say the crank driven pumps are way faster than cam driven ones.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Either way, regardless of what is driving the oil pump, nothing is instantaneous. It may take 2-4 seconds, or may take 10-15 seconds. There is not an oil system in the world that provides oil to every bearing and friction surface instantaneously. But I will say the crank driven pumps are way faster than cam driven ones.
Luckily that doesn't really matter at all, oil clings to every surface in the engine so no startup is truly "dry". You can pre-fill the filter if you want but it doesn't really matter in the slightest, people have tried that before and it doesn't stop you from getting the tick or other noises if your car's going to do it. Some don't do it and you get lucky.

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
Luckily that doesn't really matter at all, oil clings to every surface in the engine so no startup is truly "dry". You can pre-fill the filter if you want but it doesn't really matter in the slightest, people have tried that before and it doesn't stop you from getting the tick or other noises if your car's going to do it. Some don't do it and you get lucky.
I agree that all of it is negligible, but as I said in my previous post my dealer mechanic told me that he has never had a car develop tick if he primed the oil filter. I don't think it would hurt to just do it anyway as its super easy to prime the filters on the coyotes. With something as weird and mysterious as some engines developing tick and some don't I would just aim on the safe side and take every step to try and prevent it.

coupe3w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Don't forget to NOT LUBE the O ring on the filter also.

TTown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 4Runner; '19 CRV; '06 Explorer; '17 Civic
One would think that Ford knows what it is, that it's NOT a normal operating characteristic, and that they would actually fix it starting with the 2024 new model. But, we shall see.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
One would think that Ford knows what it is, that it's NOT a normal operating characteristic, and that they would actually fix it starting with the 2024 new model. But, we shall see.
I'd bet they know what it is, but don't want to really say. I think it has more to do with manufacturing tolerance stack-up on some engines vs other, and the friction level of the oil (why it can change with an oil change and/or Certec added). That's why not every Coyote has the BBQ tick.

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
I'd bet they know what it is, but don't want to really say. I think it has more to do with manufacturing tolerance stack-up on some engines vs other, and the friction level of the oil (why it can change with an oil change and/or Certec added). That's why not every Coyote has the BBQ tick.
I agree , of coarse they know. I ll bet there are 1 or 2 people here that know but with all the internet noise it s not being grasped by others.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
We can hope.

And I don't think Ford says its normal but rather that it's not harmful. A distinction without a difference for afflicted owners.