Sponsored

Per Ford (officially) the 2011-2019 F150/Mustang 5.0 “Typewriter Tick” is a normal characteristic

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
I was more talking about his issue which seemed different to me than the tick and 2k rattle were all used to. But because of ford's stance on those issues, getting an actual problem addressed before it goes boom is unnecessarily difficult.
exactly
Are you guys still worried about this?
well of course I'm not. I traded it in!

I've been building cars for the last twenty years as a hobby. The noise was not normal.

I could get under the car and drop the oil pan to check the rod caps, pull the front case to check the opg wear, and check the cams for abnormal wear, but then I'd still be at odds with ford's support and they'd have a reason to deny my warranty claim because I opened the motor. Its lose-lose with them unless you want to pay a lawyer...

I had a local dealer check it out in early January. They wanted to charge me $180 for a diagnosis fee if the noise wasn't related to the motor. The only reason they didn't is because of the TSB...they saw that I had an oil change the week prior and blamed everything on that without admitting there was an issue. The mere threat to charge to diagnose the issue is ridiculous, especially when combined with the ambiguous and broad nature of the tsb.

Anyways, I'll probably try to score a wrecked s550 chassis and build that because racecar.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Earlsays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MUSTANG GT
Mine had the tick - was VERY noisy. Tick began after second oil change.
I hate to speak too soon, I went to Royal Purple 5W30 - the tick slowly quieted over a couple thousand miles, and now, it pretty much doesn’t tick. If I listen I can barely hear a noise - very faint….absolutely helped.

Reactions: PKs

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
I was more talking about his issue which seemed different to me than the tick and 2k rattle were all used to. But because of ford's stance on those issues, getting an actual problem addressed before it goes boom is unnecessarily difficult.
But if it doesn't ever go boom, what problem is there to address?

Scored bores or some other such problem are clear faults but a tick with no other signs of problems (such as oil consumption) is not a problem? Many of these engines tick and go on ticking for thousands and thousands of miles.

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
But if it doesn't ever go boom, what problem is there to address?

Scored bores or some other such problem are clear faults but a tick with no other signs of problems (such as oil consumption) is not a problem? Many of these engines tick and go on ticking for thousands and thousands of miles.
Well, it is annoying.

Sponsored

coupe3w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67 Mustang FB, 2021 Mach 1, HP, Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Yeahhhh....but they're random and expected, or self inflicted. Buying a brand new car that doesn't tick, then after one oil change = tick tick tick = understandably annoying for some folks. Just like if the diff started whining intrusively or brakes started incurably screeching after the first 2000 miles but Ford labelled them as a 'feature not a fault'.

And then Ford says it's normal but doesn't say what it is. For some, that's annoying.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Yeahhhh....but they're random and expected, or self inflicted. Buying a brand new car that doesn't tick, then after one oil change = tick tick tick = understandably annoying for some folks. Just like if the diff started whining intrusively or brakes started incurably screeching after the first 2000 miles but Ford labelled them as a 'feature not a fault'.

And then Ford says it's normal but doesn't say what it is. For some, that's annoying.
Might want to join the Ceratec club. Works for most BBQ tickers.

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
Mine had the tick - was VERY noisy. Tick began after second oil change.
I hate to speak too soon, I went to Royal Purple 5W30 - the tick slowly quieted over a couple thousand miles, and now, it pretty much doesn’t tick. If I listen I can barely hear a noise - very faint….absolutely helped.
Till your next oil change...... Many report the tick on fresh oil and it slowly goes away. New oil? The Tick is Back...........

Earlsays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MUSTANG GT
Till your next oil change...... Many report the tick on fresh oil and it slowly goes away. New oil? The Tick is Back...........
that’s a good point - I’ll keep an ear open for it next oil change

Sponsored

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Well, it is annoying.
It is, and is FAR worse in my Tundra.... That sucker sounds like a Diesel engine when cold, and when warm and you get in the go pedal, it sounds like a solid lifter Big Block 427......... No BBQ Tick on the Yota, but the 2-3K light throttle, or off throttle and feathered sounds drive me nuts.

I had the Tundra in 4X the first 20K. The tech eventually threw me the keys to a couple new and used trucks on the lot and I discovered they all do it to some degree.

Point is these are DOHC aluminum block heads and motors with dual variable valve timing designed to maximize economy, emissions, and performance. I wish there was a hack to lock the VVT and Cam timing down in the highest performance profiles and just run the damn engines without the VVT.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
This points back to the friction level between moving parts being the root cause of the ticking. As miles get put on the oil, the anti-friction tribofilm on parts builds up more and more and most likely causes the friction level to decrease enough with time for the ticking to reduce or go away completely. Same thing that happens when Ceratec (anti-friction modifier) is added to the oil, except with Ceratec the ticking goes away in just a matter of minutes after adding the Ceratec.

Then with the next oil change, the existing anti-friction tribofilm gets stripped away to some extent by the new oil, an the ticking is back because the friction level increased.

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
This points back to the friction level between moving parts being the root cause of the ticking. As miles get put on the oil, the anti-friction tribofilm on parts builds up more and more and most likely causes the friction level to decrease enough with time for the ticking to reduce or go away completely. Same thing that happens when Ceratec (anti-friction modifier) is added to the oil, except with Ceratec the ticking goes away in just a matter of minutes after adding the Ceratec.

Then with the next oil change, the existing anti-friction tribofilm gets stripped away to some extent by the new oil, an the ticking is back because the friction level increased.
Seems to be the case. So far I am happy with mine, havent had the typewriter tick except with the Ford Semi Synthetic. Used Ceratec with that oil change, but not with the most recent with the Valvoline Full Synthetic.

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
Hey all I just upgraded my 16 V6 for a 23 GT, I thought I'd share my experience. To start I do not have any engine ticking noises. I had my oil changed at 1000 miles with the Ford Motorcraft 5W-30 synthetic blend. I was hesitant to change to this oil as I only used Mobil 1 full synthetic on my 16 V6. But I was told by a very reputable tuner in my area that he only uses the MotorCraft oil and he got 120,000 miles off his 1100 hp TT coyote. However, the mechanic (master tech at my dealer and dailys a 20 GT) told me he was glad I came in at 1000 miles. He told me if you wait till ford says you should you will develop typewrite or BBQ tick. Even after I had the oil changed and 150 miles since there are no noises. Not sure if the engine has had some slight modifications for the 23MY but I don't expect to see any changes as far as tick noises go. I was also told the new MotorCraft synthetic blend has a new specification (either A1 or B1) that most name brand synthetics have not met yet. Something to keep in mind when you use an aftermarket oil. Just my 2 cents, but hope this helps!

Edit: The mechanic also stressed the importance of priming the oil filter with the coyote engine. He said its not in any mechanics manual but through his experience, he has never had a coyote that he primed the oil filter with and break-in oil change at 1000 develop tick. Not saying its a 100% method but seems promising.

Last edited:

coupe3w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67 Mustang FB, 2021 Mach 1, HP, Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
I don't see in the Ford car manual that Ford recommends full synthetic motor oils. They recommend 5W-30 synthetic blend or conventional motor oil.
Sponsored