Sponsored

Per Ford (officially) the 2011-2019 F150/Mustang 5.0 “Typewriter Tick” is a normal characteristic

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
I don't see in the Ford car manual that Ford recommends full synthetic motor oils. They recommend 5W-30 synthetic blend or conventional motor oil.
You are correct. I used full synthetic on my V6 because I had always used full synthetic and did not do my homework and read the manual. Had always thought full synthetic oil was always better. Now with a much more expensive and complicated car I took my time and did the research and its clearly not the case.
Sponsored

babrams3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT C/S Manual FBO
You are correct. I used full synthetic on my V6 because I had always used full synthetic and did not do my homework and read the manual. Had always thought full synthetic oil was always better. Now with a much more expensive and complicated car I took my time and did the research and its clearly not the case.
Ford knows they dont need to oil a battery now that everything is going EV so this concern will just become a thing of the past haha. Interesting update with priming the filter....how much did the mechanic add? Full of oil, halfway, just a little? I'll add some next change and continue with one bottle Ceratec

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Ford knows they dont need to oil a battery now that everything is going EV so this concern will just become a thing of the past haha. Interesting update with priming the filter....how much did the mechanic add? Full of oil, halfway, just a little? I'll add some next change and continue with one bottle Ceratec
I always pre-fill for vertical filters. Angled ones like 5.0s or ones that require gymnastic paths to install, no. Too hard to know how much you can put in without spilling during install plus whatever percent that is below 100 is that much less of a benefit for bothering. If I was worried about no pre-fill, I'd keep the engine from starting until oil pressure is up. In these, I understand you can just floor the throttle before cranking and the engine won't fire.

jmagnus87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Magnus
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Comp Orange '22 Chevy Silverado
I always pre-fill for vertical filters. Angled ones like 5.0s or ones that require gymnastic paths to install, no. Too hard to know how much you can put in without spilling during install plus whatever percent that is below 100 is that much less of a benefit for bothering. If I was worried about no pre-fill, I'd keep the engine from starting until oil pressure is up. In these, I understand you can just floor the throttle before cranking and the engine won't fire.
I read an article recently and watched powerblock tv build an engine and both said with front of crank oil pumps, the engine starves for oil for a few seconds regardless of oil change status. Only way to cure that is with a dry sump system.
I've almost never filled the oil filter at oil change and haven't popped an engine yet.
that being said, i did my first oil change at 800 miles at the dealership and told them to give me back the oil. It definitely had little shavings of aluminum in it. Not a concern to me cuz i changed it early. Engine break in is still a thing regardless what they tell you... anyway, i didn't notice a tick until it was 7 years old.
IMO the sound is just the sound of the timing chains riding along the plastic guides. Saved myself a ton of money buying 2v cars made in 1996 thru 2004. People thought the engines were blown, nope, just chain guides. This engine is the same just has more pieces making noise

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
He said he fills the filter up to 3/4 of what it will hold. He said the angle isn't that bad and you can generally get it on without spilling too much if any. He also said to swish it around a bit to make sure the oil gets everywhere in the filter. Thinking about how this would avoid the tick noise intrigues me. I'm an automotive engineer and off the top of my head the only thing I can think would be that the engine starves for oil for a little after changing. Priming the oil filter might reduce the amount of time it starves, thus reducing the amount of engine wear it sees. Obviously the wear is negligible... but may add up over time?

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I pre-fill the oil filter ... about 3/4 as mentioned above. Go slow and let the oil seep into the media and fill the filter. Hold it at the same angle as it would be on the engine and see where the oil level is inside the filter. If the bottom engine cover is removed the filter is pretty easy to move up and screw on to the engine without spilling any oil.

RalphK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
There is a reason NOT to prefill your filter. If contaminants like dirt etc. get poured into the filter it will go directly through the engine without being filtered. Many recommend against this practice.

coupe3w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67 Mustang FB, 2021 Mach 1, HP, Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
There is a reason NOT to prefill your filter. If contaminants like dirt etc. get poured into the filter it will go directly through the engine without being filtered. Many recommend against this practice.
That's like not brushing your teeth because you have a toothache

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
Not really sure what kind of contaminants would be going into the filter… unless you drop the filter on the ground. If you’re pouring the new oil straight out of a new bottle there won’t be any. Also if you pour the oil into the hole it would be filtered just as the other oil would?

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Oil pressure with no pre-filling the filter is instantaneous.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not really sure what kind of contaminants would be going into the filter… unless you drop the filter on the ground. If you’re pouring the new oil straight out of a new bottle there won’t be any. Also if you pour the oil into the hole it would be filtered just as the other oil would?
Agree that oil in an unopened bottle should be plenty clean. But if you pour oil into the filter, it's being poured into the clean side and if there was dirt in the oil it would go into the engine upon start-up.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I see the oil pressure come up after start-up about twice as fast when the filter is pre-filled. Instead of ~4 sec it's more like ~2 seconds. But yeah, some would say that 4 seconds is also "instantaneous".

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
I see the oil pressure come up after start-up about twice as fast when the filter is pre-filled. Instead of ~4 sec it's more like ~2 seconds. But yeah, some would say that 4 seconds is also "instantaneous".
I agree that even 4-5 seconds of no oil pressure is pretty small. However, I would venture to say that repeated cycles of 4-5 seconds with each oil change may lead some coyotes to tick. The tick that some people have seen develop in their engines is not life threatening to the engine. Ford even said its a "normal" characteristic of the coyote (I have my reservations about that statement). But I don't think pre filling would hurt the engine in any way, especially not as much as running with no oil pressure even for 4 seconds. I agree that if dirt was in the filter it would go straight into the engine, but to be honest just look at the filter. If its dirty don't use it, take it back and ask for a new one.

coupe3w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67 Mustang FB, 2021 Mach 1, HP, Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
No it's not. My 351C even with a filled filter takes about 10 seconds to have oil pressure.

RalphK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
As with my Mustang and F150, same as daily starting. The needle moves instantly.
I don't see how not filling will cause any damage. On my plane and most out there the oil filter is pretty much empty on every start, hasn't hurt any of them yet.
Sponsored