Sponsored

Per Ford (officially) the 2011-2019 F150/Mustang 5.0 “Typewriter Tick” is a normal characteristic

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Anyone else experienced the tick since new or only after first oil change?

mine is ticking since new

Just had my oil changed. As I am leaving he dealer I can hear the tick. Half a bottle of Ceratec and its gone.
Sponsored

aero84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Morais
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020
Just had my oil changed. As I am leaving he dealer I can hear the tick. Half a bottle of Ceratec and its gone.
Mine did it since day one. I live in Europe and am wondering if they go through an oil change when exported

coupe3w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67 Mustang FB, 2021 Mach 1, HP, Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
Do you know what kind of oil they put in it?

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you ask for that or are they just doing it now? That's interesting if it's the latter, since 2020 and prior were spec'd for 5W20

I asked for it...I even got the cap for the oil fill to say 5W-30.

aero84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Morais
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020
Nobody had the tick since the car was new or before the first oil change?

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
Nobody had the tick since the car was new or before the first oil change?
Seems most common at first oil change, though anything is possible as it is 'normal' I had it after first change when using the Motorcraft Semi synthetic. I changed it at 1K miles, then again at 5K. I added Ceratec to that change (Valvoline Synthetic 5W30) and havent had it since. Am at 20K, change oil every 5K

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
No typewriter tick but have the 2k rattle.
While I like the dual VVT of modern DOHC V-8 motors, I loath the VVT racket they cause. I wish there was a way to disable the cam phasers and lock in the cam profiles. Fuel mileage and maximum engine performance may suffer, but that infernal 2k-2.5K light/off throttle clatter drives me nuts.

And in my case, I have TWO DOHC V8's....... One in my Bullitt, one in my Tundra. Believe it or not, the Coyote is whisper silent compared to the Tundra. I had my Tundra in to the dealer 5X over the first 36K miles and always sent away with 'this is normal..... yours may be a bit louder than others, but is normal' 80K miles later, it still makes the same noise. Terrible in the 2-3K light/off throttle, and sounds like an old school flat tappet 427, but the motor is solid as a rock, and the magnetic drain plug has ZERO metallic spooge.

It is what it is. I just turn up the radio and stay deep in the go pedal when driving the Bullitt, so all is well.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Whats the 2k rattle?
The motor is a DOHC with Variable Valve Timing (VVT) on the intake and exhaust cams. The cam phasers (or whatever Ford Calls them) advance, and retard cam timing for max power and economy. It's mostly done by oil pressure determined by the ECU through some kind of Dearborn black magic (algorithm).

Between 2-3K especially on light to moderate throttle, the VVT will rattle like a MF'er......... I hate it, but it is what it is, and is much quieter than it is on my Tundra. Is worse when cold, sometimes sounds like a diesel motor.

I haven't done much research, but I would love to disable the whole system and lock the cams in. Technology is great, but has its drawbacks. At least the dual fuel system is transparent, even if the DI fuel pump makes noise.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Between 2-3K especially on light to moderate throttle, the VVT will rattle like a MF'er.
Thing is, not all Coyotes have a "2K rattle", or the "typewriter tick" ... so it's got to be related to how each individual engine ends up as a system - ie, parts variance and/or assembly variance during production.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Since you guys like project farm so much...
Sponsored