Sponsored

Paint Chip/Flaking

DRKNGHT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Hi Everyone,

I just washed my 2018 Mustang EB today and noticed 3 reasonably large chips in paint all on the passenger side.

2 of them are on the railing above the passenger window and one large one above the rear fender beside the trunk. I still have 2500 mi left on my warranty.

The car is a daily driver and gets washed weekly but I never noticed these until today so they are relatively new.

Its hard to say these are rock chips as they are on the passenger side at the top and back. Is this something that would be covered by Ford under warranty?

Above Passenger Window Rail:
20210228_143815.jpg
20210228_143808.jpg

Above Passenger Side Rear Fender Beside the Trunk:
20210228_143759.jpg
Sponsored

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Not covered by warranty.

Welcome to Ford's brittle as an eggshell paint!

The first two were most likely caused by rocks or more specifically rock salt from the road. Rock salt will blow out some big sized chips.

that last big one looks like something scraped against it I can see the witness Mark in the metal.

Throw some touch up paint on it as best you can. Do it in layers to slowly build up the chip. Then if your really good you can build it up higher than the surrounding paint, wet sand it down and polish it so it blends into the surrounding paint as good as it's going to.

Dr. Color chip works really well too.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Hi Everyone,

I just washed my 2018 Mustang EB today and noticed 3 reasonably large chips in paint all on the passenger side.

2 of them are on the railing above the passenger window and one large one above the rear fender beside the trunk. I still have 2500 mi left on my warranty.

The car is a daily driver and gets washed weekly but I never noticed these until today so they are relatively new.

Its hard to say these are rock chips as they are on the passenger side at the top and back. Is this something that would be covered by Ford under warranty?

Above Passenger Window Rail:
20210228_143815.jpg
20210228_143808.jpg

Above Passenger Side Rear Fender Beside the Trunk:
20210228_143759.jpg

The 2nd pic if making it larger looks like someone scratched the surface and the paint flaked. Make the pic bigger and look at it closely.

Attached is Ford Warrantable vs Non-Warrantable paint guide. The Ford paint is covered under the 5/60 Paint And Corrosion Warranty outlined in your Mustang Owner's Manual. It does not protect against damages such as rock chips or other, only workmanship and corrosion.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
DRKNGHT

DRKNGHT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
If these are caused by rocksalt than the paint seems too fragile considering the size.

I was checking out the GSB from CobraJet, if you zoom in on some pictures, especially on 2nd one you can see some spots that look very close to the warrantable paint defect under Chemical Popping in the Blue car. What do you guys think?

I have already ordered Dr. Color Chip as I have a feeling this will be a lost battle with Ford.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If these are caused by rocksalt than the paint seems too fragile considering the size.

I was checking out the GSB from CobraJet, if you zoom in on some pictures, especially on 2nd one you can see some spots that look very close to the warrantable paint defect under Chemical Popping in the Blue car. What do you guys think?

I have already ordered Dr. Color Chip as I have a feeling this will be a lost battle with Ford.
I wouldn’t do anything yourself just yet.

Don’t go solely by what we see in a picture as it sometimes can be greatly different than seeing it (and feeling it) in person, especially with paint issues.

I would schedule an appt with your local Ford Service Center - point out all of the spots to the Service Writer. They will take pictures and then then have to submit a Warranty Authorization request to someone at Ford, who will review the pics. IF the paint damages is due to workmanship (flaking due to loss of adhesion due to poor factory prep), then they could authorize repairs under the Paint & Corrosion Warranty.

If you get denied to can push by:
1)Requesting a Ford FSE visit your Service Center and inspect the paint concerns himself.

2) calling the Ford 800# and getting a Regional CSR assigned and you will get a Case #. The Case # elevates your concerns and then see where it takes you from there.

—
Your damages do resemble some pics in the GSB, but again only as long as the damage wasn’t caused by some type of debris impact.

Good luck and keep us posted.

BTW - how’s the hood, do you see any bubbling on it - topside or bottom side around the edges? If so, be sure to point that out at the Service Center.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DRKNGHT

DRKNGHT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
I wouldn’t do anything yourself just yet.

Don’t go solely by what we see in a picture as it sometimes can be greatly different than seeing it (and feeling it) in person, especially with paint issues.

I would schedule an appt with your local Ford Service Center - point out all of the spots to the Service Writer. They will take pictures and then then have to submit a Warranty Authorization request to someone at Ford, who will review the pics. IF the paint damages is due to workmanship (flaking due to loss of adhesion due to poor factory prep), then they could authorize repairs under the Paint & Corrosion Warranty.

If you get denied to can push by:
1)Requesting a Ford FSE visit your Service Center and inspect the paint concerns himself.

2) calling the Ford 800# and getting a Regional CSR assigned and you will get a Case #. The Case # elevates your concerns and then see where it takes you from there.

—
Your damages do resemble some pics in the GSB, but again only as long as the damage wasn’t caused by some type of debris impact.

Good luck and keep us posted.

BTW - how’s the hood, do you see any bubbling on it - topside or bottom side around the edges? If so, be sure to point that out at the Service Center.
Was requested by the dealership to take photos from different angles. With more light outside, I captured some and now it looks pretty evident that something hit the car as there is a dent as you can see in the first picture. This pretty much closed the door on Ford fixing it.

On the 2nd picture you can see vertical marks just above chip as well.

It just boggles my mind what caused this as it seems something was thrown head on at the passenger side.

I guess I'll have to use touch up paint for now to atleast protect it before it gets worse.

20210301_125752.jpg
20210301_125759.jpg

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I've gotten more rock chips on the side of my car than the front. No idea what it is but they attract all the debris in your local area. The sooner you let it go, the better honestly. I just use the OEM touch up pen, dab until paint fills the area, repeat as necessary until its leveled out.

OP
OP
DRKNGHT

DRKNGHT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Just applied 2 coats using Dr. Colorchip. Not the best finish, it definitely needs more coats. Atleast its covered up to protect it. I'll work n it more once it warms up.

20210306_142713.jpg
20210306_142721.jpg

OP
OP
DRKNGHT

DRKNGHT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
I found something though as I was repairing.

The plastic trim above the window seems to have cracked or peeling. Has this ever happened before? I'm really hoping this is a warranty repair because I don't see what might have caused it.

20210306_142616.jpg
20210306_142625.jpg

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I found something though as I was repairing.

The plastic trim above the window seems to have cracked or peeling. Has this ever happened before? I'm really hoping this is a warranty repair because I don't see what might have caused it.

20210306_142616.jpg
20210306_142625.jpg
I’ve never seen that piece crack before and I don’t think there are any prior threads about anyone reporting such damage.

Are you sure someone hasn’t thrown something at your car while it was parked to cause the damages to that part and the paint?

Sponsored

Veteran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT white
U can see from marks that was induced by a impact.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Looks like it was pried on. As if someone stuck a wedge in there to force open the door. Kinda like what repo guys do when they're opening locked doors.

Also, I've seen similar damage done by an egg. Eggshells can absolutely chip paint off and the yolk will eat away at the clear coat due to the protein.

I assume you'd have mentioned cleaning eggs off your car if that was the case though.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
As its winter and you have mentioned salt on the roads, have your doors ever froze up enough to stop the auto window drop ?

That kind of looks like the window has impacted it if the door was closed with the window in the fully up position.

My other half's mini had the window freezing issue and although it sounded horrible, we were fortunate it didn't break or damage anything.

Whatever has caused your issues, I hope you get them sorted :like:

WD :like:
Sponsored