Sponsored

Paint Flaking Off Rear Bumper

ctmonline

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
C.T.
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT/CS & 2017 Mustang GT(SOLD 4/27/18)
2017 GT with only 6K miles...the entire rear bumper is developing tiny blisters across the top edge of the panel where it bevels in to the opposite panel, it has flaked off behind and above the rear wheels where it curves to meet the metal quarter. I tried touch-up paint on the flake but it didn't last long. I know the pictures aren't the best...have appointment at dealership this Friday for repaint.
p1.jpg
p2.jpg
p3.jpg
p4.jpg
p5.jpg
p6.jpg
Sponsored

Weasel1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Should be fixed by the dealer under warranty.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
In all honesty I'd go ahead and use touchup paint to fix it. Those panels rub and will probably flake off again in the future. The dealer will want to re-paint the whole bumper and I made that mistake. The new paint will never be as good as factory one because it wont be baked.

OP
OP
ctmonline

ctmonline

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
C.T.
Vehicle(s)
touch-up doesn't last either...it's my daily driver.

Oryx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
The dealer may actually do a better job - the factory paint leaves a lot to be desired, in my opinion. There are tons of runs/drips that harden around corners of trim or panels; probably has as much to do with the poor fitment of panels and trim pieces.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ctmonline

ctmonline

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
C.T.
Vehicle(s)
just dropped it of to the dealer for warranty repaint, got a basic Focus as a loaner...hope for the best.

OP
OP
ctmonline

ctmonline

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
C.T.
Vehicle(s)
just went to dealer to pick it up...:mad:

they painted over the touch-up paint that I put on, didn't even paint the entire bumper...just the upper lip...they also scratched the quarter panels while it was there.

I refused to take it back and left in the loaner after they wanted to argue.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
just went to dealer to pick it up...:mad:

they painted over the touch-up paint that I put on, didn't even paint the entire bumper...just the upper lip...they also scratched the quarter panels while it was there.

I refused to take it back and left in the loaner after they wanted to argue.
Sorry that you're going through this. Remember to take pics of your car from all angles before dropping it off. There's no proof of your car's condition when you dropped it off, thus they can claim it was like that.

My dealer f-d me over and sounds like yours is trying to do the same with you.

Once again, F you ted britt of Chantilly, VA!

OP
OP
ctmonline

ctmonline

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
C.T.
Vehicle(s)
take two...just got message that they repainted the entire bumper this time, warrantied for three years, have to wait until my next day off to pick it up though.

OP
OP
ctmonline

ctmonline

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
C.T.
Vehicle(s)
got it back yesterday...think the color match is a little off, will try to live with it, about ready to tap out.

Sponsored

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I feel your pain I bought my car brand new in Dec 2015 it only has 1200 miles on it and I don't know how I missed it when I inspected the car but the car has poor paint coverage. The entire trunk lid was painted on the outer edges but was down to almost bare metal in the middle it was like the paint was running out when the car was painted at the factory. I took the trunk lid off and had it painted under warranty shortly after I started to look closely at the rest of the car with a good flashlight and I found more paint coverage issues on the rear quarters near the top of the tires in the flat area and also on the rear area of the hood. I am so disgusted the car is under 3 year warranty but I would never get it painted as it will never be the same only I know of the flaws and you can't really see it unless you get close with a light and really look for it. I have had many cars in my life and when I bought it I never thought of looking for paint coverage problems I was looking for dents and chips, FORD has been doing a lot of stupid shit with their quality control let alone the issues with the S550 models.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
I feel your pain I bought my car brand new in Dec 2015 it only has 1200 miles on it and I don't know how I missed it when I inspected the car but the car has poor paint coverage. The entire trunk lid was painted on the outer edges but was down to almost bare metal in the middle it was like the paint was running out when the car was painted at the factory. I took the trunk lid off and had it painted under warranty shortly after I started to look closely at the rest of the car with a good flashlight and I found more paint coverage issues on the rear quarters near the top of the tires in the flat area and also on the rear area of the hood. I am so disgusted the car is under 3 year warranty but I would never get it painted as it will never be the same only I know of the flaws and you can't really see it unless you get close with a light and really look for it. I have had many cars in my life and when I bought it I never thought of looking for paint coverage problems I was looking for dents and chips, FORD has been doing a lot of stupid shit with their quality control let alone the issues with the S550 models.
They had a shop paint my rear end 3 times! 3 effing times! I got it the 3rd time and there was solvent pop and runs still in the paint. The shop owner came out and tried to apologize and tell me that they'd do it again. 14k miles on mine and it had already had so much body work to fill up a carfax report (not that anything would show up). I had my car for 5 days that month and still made the full damn payment on it.

I tried asking Ford to let me take it somewhere else because this shop sucked (Caliber collision in Chantilly, VA). They said no because they paid the shop for the work and they wasn't gonna pay some other shop. The AC was on its last legs so the interior would have been ripped apart too. It felt like I was about to drive a salvage car.

2 days later, I traded it in for the Charger scat pack. I was so done with my car, it wasn't funny. I loved how it looked but quality wasn't Ford's priority when putting them together.
Sponsored