Oxidation, rust, etc...

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
If you want to keep things unoxidized, fluidfilm works well. My home generator is constantly exposed to the salt ocean air and the thing looks like it is brand new. The only bad thing about it is it does leave a residue.....ie) it doesn't dry.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Mine sat out for a while and at the rail yard for a month. I have no oxidation at all that I can see. I think E drove his car in the winter from MO to NY. Guessing he hit a lot of road salt/chemicals along the way.
Mine was this way at delivery. Your railyard was in Texas, IIRC. Mine was in Missouri where they had snow and salt while it was there. When the hood was popped at the dealer my eyes went straight to the valve covers.

I can't complain. Cleaning it properly takes time, yes, but it also allows a close and thorough inspection. Taking it apart to clean made relocating the pinched hose easier, simplified installation of the oil separator, and makes changing the oil and filter a snap. So I suppose there are actually some advantages as ridiculous as it may sound.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
Don: You didn't even see rust on the axle caps or whatever you call the chingasso inside the lugs? <smile> If not, I'm more than a little surprised.
Probably will find it on the hubs. That is kinda normal.
My car was in the rail yard in Mesquite, TX
Now that I look close at some of the raw aluminum, I do see some light white fuzzy stuff on the surface. It wipes off on my fingers.
When I do the first oil change, I’ll remove the lower tray and take a look. I have 500+ miles now. So it’s about time for the first change.

Sponsored

VERN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
VERN
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500
The 2020 GT500 was delayed so much it pushed dealer deliveries into the winter months. I had planned on driving the car home (~1,000 miles) if the roads were clear and pretty much salt free. I got lucky there, able to drive a car like this in January which normally isn't possible where I come from. What drove me nuts was the "Hold" though where it sat outside for a month. On my mind was corrosion/oxidation in areas that wouldn't be simple to address. And this isn't something that should be on your mind on an 80k+ car that you haven't even taken delivery of yet.

I grew up working on the underside of rusty cars and always hated it. Shit in your eyes (safety glasses or not), rotted exhaust systems, and bolts that snap way too easy as they've been eaten up by rust. I really like the idea of starting off with something clean. So the second I saw the engine on my car I cringed at the oxidation I saw already at work on various aluminum engine and accessory castings. Bare steel items underneath already showed signs of rust as well. Well, thanks to the pinched hose issue at the rear of the engine that needs to be addressed, I'm starting to clean up Mother Nature's work.

This is what I saw pretty much everywhere in the engine compartment on any bare aluminum...

20200223_151953-L.jpg

It's also why I have waited to do the oil separator that came with the car so I could clean things up first. My apologies to anyone that thinks this is being too anal. Sorry but I like my gear clean. Easier to service and to identify an issue such as a leak, etc. If you let it go too long things get nasty, fast. I spent last winter building an engine for a Fox body I'm doing and I had hoped my GT500 engine would be near as clean. Lol, that was sure wishful thinking. Nothing like this...

IMG_5891-L.jpg

So while I had the strut tower brace off for the pinched hose I started removing other topside components to be able to access said oxidized aluminum.

20200223_154221-XL.jpg

20200223_154229-L.jpg

20200223_154316-XL.jpg

20200223_154342-L.jpg

20200223_154517-XL.jpg

So I removed the two fasteners holding the coolant reservoir to the fan shroud, set it aside and tested a couple of different cleaning/polishing compounds on the thermostat housing.

Yes...

20200223_183026-XL.jpg

I used these two. They worked equally as good.

20200223_182148-XL.jpg

20200223_190505-L.jpg

The viscous fluid filled, aluminum bodied harmonic dampers on these cars are works of art. No way I'm having mine look like shit in short order and here it is with the onset of cancer.

20200223_183331-XL.jpg

Five minutes later...

20200223_184837-XL.jpg

I then removed the entire intake tract to access the alternator case, driver side valve cover, etc.

20200223_190222-L.jpg

20200223_190015-XL.jpg

20200223_185948-XL.jpg

Gonna pick at this as I can, eventually pulling the undertray at the front and rear as well. I suppose an anti-corrosion coating on these bare parts would have been too much to ask for. :)
Your detailing is way above anything I have ever seen After all that work I would have to keep the car in a bubble. How often do you have to start at the stop and go through the whole process? I live in the mid atlantic area and would have to make sure I saw no precipitation east of the Mississippi before I left the garage. Thank you for sharing. The photos are excellent quality.

Last edited:

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Your detailing is way above anything I have ever seen
I second that emotion, Vern and Tob knows as much about Mustangs as anyone I've ever met, (and we haven't met.) <grin>

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your detailing is way above anything I have ever seen After all that work I would have to keep the car in a bubble. How often do you have to start at the stop and go through the whole process? I live in the mid atlantic area and would have to make sure I saw no precipitation easy of the Mississippi before I left the garage. Thank you for sharing. The photos are excellent quality.
Hey Vern.

I'll put it this way. I've lived much of my life in the northeast and learned to appreciate a rust-free vehicle. The last thing I wanted with the purchase of a '20 GT500 was to start off with one that had even the slightest sign of cancer, anywhere. So the time spent on the car (I was almost a week under the car) was just to get it to the way I felt it should have come from the factory. I likely won't have to chase oxidation again. So since I did this I moved on to claying the car and the applying a ceramic coating to make cleaning a bit easier. Maybe in a couple years I'll take another close look at every square inch of the under carriage. For now I can sleep knowing that after a good wash the car is pretty much, photo ready.

Speaking of photos, and I appreciate your kind words, I did something I've never done before last week. I spent part of the day filming some drone video and then grabbed some spectacular shots in a state park just as the sun was going down. The sky was orange and purple. Just as I was putting the camera away I noticed it said please insert memory card. Ugh...I had pulled the card out and left it in my laptop. So I never got a single one of the shots I took with my DSLR. Still can't believe it.

It was fun trying to capture the car from the drone though.

vlcsnap-2020-07-12-21h40m37s434-X2.jpg

vlcsnap-2020-07-12-21h48m28s495-2-X2.jpg

vlcsnap-2020-07-12-21h50m41s964%20%282%29-X4.png

Sooner or later I'll get some shots of the car with the memory card in the camera. I still can't believe I did that.
:)

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
You still got some good ones, Tob but sort of like we would say in Uncle Sam's Navy regarding unintentional gear up landings...

"There are those who have and, those who will, and nobody else."

And if it's any consolation, I've done the same thing multiple times in the past but usually, I had the backpack camera bag with more cards. Pretty sure they'll all "fire" without one inserted but it's pretty obvious on my LCD when you forget.

So, what model were/are you flying? I've had two DJI Mavics and got the M2P as soon as it was released but, haven't flown it in months. The latest Mavic Air though is awesome but I know the same thing will happen so, I'll spend the money on the car. :-)

I sure enjoyed the photography and videography with both of mine and of course, have gigs of footage. :-) I really need to take her out and do some of both with the new vehicle though....views like that you simply can't get with the old DSLR.

Happy flying! (but bring extra memory cards.) :-)

Edit: For those who are truly bored, here's one of my better editing jobs, at least IMHO anyway. <grin> The birds were a nice, free bonus and the guys at the end saw me on their monitoring gear and drove out to nicely ask me to stop filming their wind turbines. (But as they were leaving, the head guy said, "But we're not here on weekends." :-) I thought that was pretty cool.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good stuff KB!

Mavic2 Pro Platinum. Got it a couple years ago and never used it much. Trying to get back into it. Try flying it while a friend drives, backwards and forwards, it's weird.

I'm in a small group renting Roebling Road Racewat in September for a track day and I'm trying to polish up my skills a little in case they allow me to capture some footage there. Most tracks won't allow it.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Ah yes, the old "DJI Platinum Shuffle," Tob, I know it well. <grin> But even now, that camera is something and aside from being larger than the new Mavic Air, it still does nearly an equal job of capturing images.

But man, getting some footage on race day would be SO cool.

Nope, I've never tried to fly from a moving vehicle and I've heard some horror stories but it looks fun and the video you can get is downright amazing. I really need to get back intuit.

And, I DO hope the track nazis let you fly because that would be just about as cool a subject to film as one could find.

I've done a number of shooting matches and the link bellow is for my last effort.. Some of it was filmed with my Canon 7D, some with a GoPro, some with the Osmo Pocket, and finally, some with the Mavic. But, it does require a fair amount of planning and, attention to detail to get it right but a shooting match is a very good subject for drone footage.

Here's the link...

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just asked that and was told it was ok for this scheduled rental as long as it wasn't over the driven portion of the track...

m3bs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E36M3 Tracktoy
I just asked that and was told it was ok for this scheduled rental as long as it wasn't over the driven portion of the track...
That will be cool. I’ll probably see you there.
Sponsored