Sponsored

2020 GT500 - swapping Base springs for CFTP springs, etc.

StungR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Deep
Vehicle(s)
GT500
Very Informative and detailed write up @Epiphany .
Question to all who did this swap:
1. Do you need to take the exhaust out for rear springs install?
2. hows the ride quality after swap
3. After reading few posts on this swap on other boards , there seems that non CFTP shocks are different and that might need damper/Magneride re-programming -- Is that correct? IF yes, can a single DSC controller be used on multiple cars to do this or is it married to individual cars?
Sponsored

marklboris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Vehicle Showcase
Don't need to take out the exhaust to swap the rear springs. Did not really notice any difference in the ride quantity at all. Didn't change or reprogram the non-CFTP shocks. Car seems to handle and ride just fine to me.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Very Informative and detailed write up @Epiphany .
Question to all who did this swap:
1. Do you need to take the exhaust out for rear springs install?
2. hows the ride quality after swap
3. After reading few posts on this swap on other boards , there seems that non CFTP shocks are different and that might need damper/Magneride re-programming -- Is that correct? IF yes, can a single DSC controller be used on multiple cars to do this or is it married to individual cars?
You can do the controller and get more responsive tuning but it’s not a requirement. The rear springs may require you lowering the cradle so you’ll need a two post lift or quickjack so both rear wheels are off the ground. When I did the springs on my old ‘16 GT I had to hang my entire body weight on the rotor to get enough space to remove the rear spring from the perch. Your results may vary.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
Don't need to take out the exhaust to swap the rear springs. Did not really notice any difference in the ride quantity at all. Didn't change or reprogram the non-CFTP shocks. Car seems to handle and ride just fine to me.
Mark says it all. The swap was easy, and no need to lower the rear cradle.
Remember to install adjustable camber/caster plates while doing the front springs. You have it all apart anyway.

StungR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Deep
Vehicle(s)
GT500
Thanks Mark!! Anyone have link to camber caster plates. I won't be tracking my car so would it add any value ?

Sponsored

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Thanks Mark!! Anyone have link to camber caster plates. I won't be tracking my car so would it add any value ?
No, you’ll be at street specs which will be perfect for daily driving. Really no sense in installing a part you’ll never use unless you plan to go super aggressive on wheel fitment.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, you’ll be at street specs which will be perfect for daily driving. Really no sense in installing a part you’ll never use unless you plan to go super aggressive on wheel fitment.
If someone would ever track the car, they would love it if you saved them the install pain

If you have the handling pack, did they come with the car?

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
If someone would ever track the car, they would love it if you saved them the install pain

For the love of Pete, don’t use the factory camber plates If you haven’t yet installed them, get yourself a set of aftermarket plates. The Maximum Motorsports plates that Shelbyinstalled in my car are a breeze to use. The OEM Ford plates I once used were a complete pain in the but to dial in easily.

Ford plates will work, but if you ever need to make adjustments, the aftermarket plates will be money well spent.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For the love of Pete, don’t use the factory camber plates If you haven’t yet installed them, get yourself a set of aftermarket plates. The Maximum Motorsports plates that Shelbyinstalled in my car are a breeze to use. The OEM Ford plates I once used were a complete pain in the but to dial in easily.

Ford plates will work, but if you ever need to make adjustments, the aftermarket plates will be money well spent.
I agree. I use Maximum Motorsports C/C plates on my cars.
Was allowing him to save a few bucks. :like:

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500

He already said he wouldn’t be tracking the car so why would he spend the money to install something he’ll never use?

I have the handing pack so already have the Ford units in mine, but I also will not be tracking my car.

Edited to correct it to “handling pack”

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't track, but I like having control of my camber. If someone will never will touch it, don't bother. To anyone who "might", go aftermarket.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I don't track, but I like having control of my camber. If someone will never will touch it, don't bother. To anyone who "might", go aftermarket.
Did you not have control with the track pack? Only way I could see aftermarket being beneficial is if you do your own alignments or are consistently adjusting back and forth. I’ll let Ford do my alignments for me.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Did you not have control with the track pack? Only way I could see aftermarket being beneficial is if you do your own alignments or are consistently adjusting back and forth. I’ll let Ford do my alignments for me.
My car is not a CFTP. Mine does have the HP, which technically did not come with OEM plates for the 2020 MY, but my dealer gave me an unclaimed set that they had lying around from a GT350 sale. I installed them when I installed CFTP front springs. They were horrible to use.

You may remember that I once had Signature wheels? When I lowered the car, I had to adjust the camber to get the wheels to fit correctly (21" wheels). Being able to adjust my camber was necessary to provide proper fitment, when outside the factory wheel & tire specs. What I am saying is, you don't need to track a car to need to adjust camber. If someone will never play, and leave things stock, there is zero reason to worry about it.

For anyone who will play, do yourself a favor and get aftermarket plates.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
My car is not a CFTP. Mine does have the HP, which technically did not come with OEM plates for the 2020 MY, but my dealer gave me an unclaimed set that they had lying around from a GT350 sale. I installed them when I installed CFTP front springs. They were horrible to use.

You may remember that I once had Signature wheels? When I lowered the car, I had to adjust the camber to get the wheels to fit correctly (21" wheels). Being able to adjust my camber was necessary to provide proper fitment, when outside the factory wheel & tire specs. What I am saying is, you don't need to track a car to need to adjust camber. If someone will never play, and leave things stock, there is zero reason to worry about it.

For anyone who will play, do yourself a favor and get aftermarket plates.
That had to of been before I came back to the forum as your car was already at Shelby when I bought mine. I meant to say handling pack but was wasn’t aware 2020s didn’t come with camber plates.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
He already said he wouldn’t be tracking the car so why would he spend the money to install something he’ll never use?

I have the track pack so already have the Ford units in mine, but I also will not be tracking my car.
I was hinting that if he had the HP and the OEM plates (2020’s came with them), he should go ahead and install at the same time. No cost to do that. If he doesn’t want to spend money for better plates, that’s fine too.
Sponsored