Aluminum Oxidation on Engine 2021 GT500

dbtgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Has anyone observed oxidation on the surface of the aluminum castings on their engine parts including the block and oil pan? Mine was built with a blend date of 11-19-2021 and delivered to dealer in Louisiana in January, 2021 (winter time) with 6 miles on odometer. Car was put directly in showroom from transport (according to sales manager) and remained there until I purchased on February 18, 2021. Car was driven 600 miles directly home and now has 950 miles. Car has never been driven in rain since it was delivered to me, but I have no idea about the first 6 miles of its life.

Has anyone else experienced this oxidation on a new car? I have seen photos of others on this forum on lifts that show the engine blocks and other cast aluminum parts to be clean as a whistle. Any thoughts? Salt spray from transport to Louisiana?
IMG_3109.jpg
Sponsored

rp930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500, 2019 Ranger, 2015 MB GLK250

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
My question is what do you do now? I have heard of dry ice blasting, but other than that, I don't know what to do with oxidized aluminum parts.

Todd Turbo S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
GT500 1997 Porsche Turbo Raptor G63 Tesla CLK BS
i remember seeing another post on the Ford Raptor Forum with similar problems.

OP
OP
dbtgt

dbtgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
My question is what do you do now? I have heard of dry ice blasting, but other than that, I don't know what to do with oxidized aluminum parts.
The oxidation in the photo is powdery and will rub off with my finger - that is why I suspect salt spray from the transport process. I have only had it on a lift once (not mine - a buddy's) to install my Jack rails and that is when I noticed the block and oil pan. I haven't tried rubbing it off on those yet.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
The oxidation in the photo is powdery and will rub off with my finger - that is why I suspect salt spray from the transport process. I have only had it on a lift once (not mine - a buddy's) to install my Jack rails and that is when I noticed the block and oil pan. I haven't tried rubbing it off on those yet.
The oxidation process has begun. It will continue. If there is salt or any kind of corrosive on there, every time it gets wet, the oxidizer will interact with the substrate and corrode.

Most times you see stuff like this is when the car sits outside. Is yours a garage kept vehicle?

OP
OP
dbtgt

dbtgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
i remember seeing another post on the Ford Raptor Forum with similar problems.
Thanks for the lead!

I found this on a Raptor forum...

"Co-worker bought a Mustang back back in 2003. She popped the hood and all the bare aluminum (alternator case, water pump, etc) had the nasty crusty chalky white looking corrosion all over it. That car only had a couple hundred miles on it and the aluminum parts looked like the ones on an engine sitting on the ground at the junkyard. I assume it was from transport- not sure what else would cause that so early."

OP
OP
dbtgt

dbtgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
The oxidation process has begun. It will continue. If there is salt or any kind of corrosive on there, every time it gets wet, the oxidizer will interact with the substrate and corrode.

Most times you see stuff like this is when the car sits outside. Is yours a garage kept vehicle?
Yes, 100%

Sponsored

oregongt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 HE, 1967GT Fastback S code,
Missed the corrosion prevention step. In the corrosion world it’s called white rust. The parts or parts were either grabbed before corrosion protection or they missed that step by accident. Even if you live at the beach it wouldn’t start that fast if they were protected properly after casting

OP
OP
dbtgt

dbtgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Missed the corrosion prevention step. In the corrosion world it’s called white rust. The parts or parts were either grabbed before corrosion protection or they missed that step by accident. Even if you live at the beach it wouldn’t start that fast if they were protected properly after casting
Interesting…

GTFORMULA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Grey gt500 pp, recaros, nav
I had a car with alot of polished aluminum pieces under the hood and I live in South Florida. I would use spray tire shine foam on the engine bay to make it glossy and to keep it from having surface corrosion.

raidernixon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 & 16 GT; 20 GT500 CFTP; 21 Mach 1
Has anyone observed oxidation on the surface of the aluminum castings on their engine parts including the block and oil pan? Mine was built with a blend date of 11-19-2021 and delivered to dealer in Louisiana in January, 2021 (winter time) with 6 miles on odometer. Car was put directly in showroom from transport (according to sales manager) and remained there until I purchased on February 18, 2021. Car was driven 600 miles directly home and now has 950 miles. Car has never been driven in rain since it was delivered to me, but I have no idea about the first 6 miles of its life.

Has anyone else experienced this oxidation on a new car? I have seen photos of others on this forum on lifts that show the engine blocks and other cast aluminum parts to be clean as a whistle. Any thoughts? Salt spray from transport to Louisiana?
IMG_3109.jpg
Hey, I have this exact thing going on with my 2020 GT500. Located in Houston. 100% garage kept with 1500 track miles (no rain ever). I suspect it has something to do with the absurdly high humidity levels we experience. I'll have to research some of the advice/threads posted in response here to see how to get a handle on it
Sponsored