Sponsored

Owning a Mach 1 Guide

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Why not do a full body PPF and only a part PPF with ceramic coat - is it just for a better overall wash or do you feel full body PPF is not very useful in WA?
Honestly I was scared of the price to do full body PPF coverage. I wanted to make sure all of the potential high impact areas were covered. In hindsight I should have. My car is only driven in nice weather so I don’t think it will matter too much but I don’t plan on ever selling it so protecting the finish is a top priority for me. The coating provides protection but yes ease of wash and the shine it gives makes me happy. At some point I’m going to get the rest of the car wrapped and then have the ceramic over the top of that as well.
Sponsored

OP
OP
dethmaShine

dethmaShine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP FJG
Honestly I was scared of the price to do full body PPF coverage. I wanted to make sure all of the potential high impact areas were covered. In hindsight I should have. My car is only driven in nice weather so I don’t think it will matter too much but I don’t plan on ever selling it so protecting the finish is a top priority for me. The coating provides protection but yes ease of wash and the shine it gives makes me happy. At some point I’m going to get the rest of the car wrapped and then have the ceramic over the top of that as well.
Oh so you are going to do full PPF + ceramic on top? :O Not sure how that works.

That said, I wanted to do something else with my car. After driving for a couple of years, I want to paint it Grabber Lime and look for some custom upgrades on the steering well, carbon fiber rear view mirrors, etc.

I can't believe Ford can paint a car for a 1000 bucks while a custom paint job might easily cost me 10K+. In that case I wonder any PPF is worth it.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
Oh so you are going to do full PPF + ceramic on top? :O Not sure how that works.

That said, I wanted to do something else with my car. After driving for a couple of years, I want to paint it Grabber Lime and look for some custom upgrades on the steering well, carbon fiber rear view mirrors, etc.

I can't believe Ford can paint a car for a 1000 bucks while a custom paint job might easily cost me 10K+. In that case I wonder any PPF is worth it.
?

most of the price of a paint job is prep and labor. two things which Ford has almost zero human effort involved in factory paint jobs.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

The coating on top of PPF just makes it even easier to care for.
as far as paint cost, much easier/cheaper to do it in the process ford uses and at the scale they operate on.

OP
OP
dethmaShine

dethmaShine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP FJG
?

most of the price of a paint job is prep and labor. two things which Ford has almost zero human effort involved in factory paint jobs.
Sure, I just expected it to be 5K and not 10 to 20K. I am unsure if I want to repaint and that's the decision I am making right now. If I want to repaint, PPF is completely useless.

Sponsored

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
Sure, I just expected it to be 5K and not 10 to 20K. I am unsure if I want to repaint and that's the decision I am making right now. If I want to repaint, PPF is completely useless.
lol, resto car paint jobs start at about 20k for good, and can be 50k+ for show winners, especially in candy or metallics.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
dethmaShine

dethmaShine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP FJG
vinyl is always an option. and then you don't need to ppf.
That's not gonna protect the car that much.

A couple of questions on PPF - does it help protect against keying? I live in an apartment community and folks can be cruel.

Also, what happens in case of an accident? You do the PPF again or does the insurance covers it? :/

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's not gonna protect the car that much.

A couple of questions on PPF - does it help protect against keying? I live in an apartment community and folks can be cruel.

Also, what happens in case of an accident? You do the PPF again or does the insurance covers it? :/
It’s not going to protect against someone that is dedicated to damaging your paint. Unfortunately that’s always going to be a threat. But thankfully that’s why god invented hollow points.

your question about insurance is a good one and something I haven’t thought of. Would be worth calling them to find out if that’s covered.

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
It’s not going to protect against someone that is dedicated to damaging your paint. Unfortunately that’s always going to be a threat. But thankfully that’s why god invented hollow points.

your question about insurance is a good one and something I haven’t thought of. Would be worth calling them to find out if that’s covered.
Completely different vehicle but when a dealer installed the PPF it was considered covered and got redone under insurance after an accident. Not sure if that has changed or not but worked when my ex girlfriend got in an accident 8 years ago. I would still ask.

OP
OP
dethmaShine

dethmaShine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP FJG
Makes sense to what you said. Still on the fence but looks like repainting is going to cost a 20K+ for a good job and that's not the kind of money I find okay spending. It's just a car afterall.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Makes sense to what you said. Still on the fence but looks like repainting is going to cost a 20K+ for a good job and that's not the kind of money I find okay spending. It's just a car afterall.
Repainting is not something I would ever want to deal with. Makes the cost of the PPF easier now if it prevents that headache. It always seems like such a struggle to find a really good body shop

OP
OP
dethmaShine

dethmaShine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP FJG
Repainting is not something I would ever want to deal with. Makes the cost of the PPF easier now if it prevents that headache. It always seems like such a struggle to find a really good body shop
Sounds like it.

PPF + Coating is like 10K lmao.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Full car PPF is super expensive. Many shops I saw were adding 2-3k to the price tag for a full car done. If you've got money to spend to do it, go for it but many of the areas on the car are not susceptible to rock chips and damage like the rear window area, trunk, roof, etc. Now what PPF does well is it hides paint imperfections extremely well so you don't have to worry about swirling or anything. I've never had an issue with paint swirls with the ceramic coating though.

PPF also prevents you from using any kind of power washer which sucks but the two bucket method is the way to go especially if you have PPF just on the front or in certain areas. Last thing you want to do is blast that up and it comes up.
Sponsored