Owning a Mach 1 Guide

Ctodd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach1
Had Sport Cup 2's on my 19 GS Vette. Great for tracking and racing. If you don't do either, they are a waste and don't last long anyway. PILOT® SPORT ALL SEASON 4 TIRES are the way to go unless you want to collect all the stones on the roads and absolutely need them for your needs. Just my two cents.
Do people in the northern states just store the cars away because of the Cup 2's?
Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Alright, deciding b/w the tires. I want the Michelin PS 4S however 2 issues I feel:

1. In the bay area, I do see temperatures drop below 40 in certain areas.
2. Traveling from Granger, IA through any stretch, even KS through Albuquerque and Vegas/LA is going to go through zones below 40.

In both cases, I worry that I am going to damage the tires and the car itself. Any recommendations!?

Edit:

I think this could fix problem #2.
i guess if you are careful, you could get by with ps4's in the bay area during the winter months. tough decision. there are a lot of people that are going to tell you its no big deal but as i've posted before, i had the pirelli equivalent on my audi and even with awd below 45 degrees it did not take much effort to get that car loose.

I know some members are all excited for you to drive it long distance but it is not their car. It is yours. Think about it. You are driving it over Winter weather. Is it worth the chance of going through bad weather even if you take the southern routes? I would just spend the $ for an enclosed carrier.

I haven't taken the southern routes but I have taken I-80 from the East Coast all the way here. The stretch up Wyoming down Utah can pulverize your paint job
we don't know OP's budget for this car though. he may not want to spend that much to ship it. plus the break in drive especially if he goes the southern route would be a really fun experience. i don't know when i'll have the time to take a long trip like that in my car but i'm jealous of anyone that can.

I did not want Sport Cup sticky tires that don't last long anyway. I had them on my 19 Vette and I don't track them. They become giant vacumes of rocks and you can't even drive in the winter in many states with them as well as the hopped when cold in tight turns.
the ps4's are not winter friendly either. not nearly as bad as the cup 2's but still not something i would leave the house on in cold, wet conditions.

Had Sport Cup 2's on my 19 GS Vette. Great for tracking and racing. If you don't do either, they are a waste and don't last long anyway. PILOT® SPORT ALL SEASON 4 TIRES are the way to go unless you want to collect all the stones on the roads and absolutely need them for your needs. Just my two cents.
Do people in the northern states just store the cars away because of the Cup 2's?
i'm storing my car on the ps4's. where i live the likelihood of rain and cold days is just too high to bother with it.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
FWIW, I drove my 17 Mustang GT on Firehawk Indy 500's in pretty cold temps but nothing below freezing and they never cracked or had issues. Traction was the biggest issue. Just be smart about driving on those tires. If it's your only car, you may want to consider the A/S version.

OP
OP
dethmaShine

dethmaShine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP FJG
Here is what Michelin sent me when I asked if the PS4S could be used in place of the Cup 2's:

Thank you for contacting Customer Relations. This is a UHP summer tire and cannot be used in temperatures below 45°.

Hope this helps.
Yes, this helps and I am familiar. Definitely trying to avoid anything below 45F. :)

I know some members are all excited for you to drive it long distance but it is not their car. It is yours. Think about it. You are driving it over Winter weather. Is it worth the chance of going through bad weather even if you take the southern routes? I would just spend the $ for an enclosed carrier.

I haven't taken the southern routes but I have taken I-80 from the East Coast all the way here. The stretch up Wyoming down Utah can pulverize your paint job
Oh these folks have been nothing but helpful. And frankly, I want the drive. I am okay to pay $2K to ship though it sucks but the bigger issue is getting the car in December which is a no-no. I can't wait.

I am PTO next week from work. I have already booked tickets for my wife and my self and are going to enjoy the drive. :)

I am planning to track hence the reluctance on Pilot AS 4S. Given I might only have this car for 2 years (wife takes it after), I want to get to the track quick. Will I do it? Idk. Do I want to? Absolutely.

OP
OP
dethmaShine

dethmaShine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP FJG
i guess if you are careful, you could get by with ps4's in the bay area during the winter months. tough decision. there are a lot of people that are going to tell you its no big deal but as i've posted before, i had the pirelli equivalent on my audi and even with awd below 45 degrees it did not take much effort to get that car loose.
I guess my major concern with that is just the damage on the car. Minor traction less, eh I have driven my BMW for a while. Traction is not something I am used to anyway.

we don't know OP's budget for this car though. he may not want to spend that much to ship it. plus the break in drive especially if he goes the southern route would be a really fun experience. i don't know when i'll have the time to take a long trip like that in my car but i'm jealous of anyone that can.
Got budget but I'd rather spend $2K+ on the drive vs the shipping. To be honest, I might never do this ever in my life, so it's time!

FWIW, I drove my 17 Mustang GT on Firehawk Indy 500's in pretty cold temps but nothing below freezing and they never cracked or had issues. Traction was the biggest issue. Just be smart about driving on those tires. If it's your only car, you may want to consider the A/S version.
This is good to know. Yeah, this is going to be the main ride in the house for now. I am thinking in a couple of years, moving to All Season when wife takes it. Given its not an AWD anyway, I find going to colder areas like Tahoe problematic by default.

Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess my major concern with that is just the damage on the car. Minor traction less, eh I have driven my BMW for a while. Traction is not something I am used to anyway.

Got budget but I'd rather spend $2K+ on the drive vs the shipping. To be honest, I might never do this ever in my life, so it's time!

This is good to know. Yeah, this is going to be the main ride in the house for now. I am thinking in a couple of years, moving to All Season when wife takes it. Given its not an AWD anyway, I find going to colder areas like Tahoe problematic by default.
the PPF youre getting should take care of that. just enjoy the drive! its going to be years before i can do a trip like this 😞 just do the rest of us a favor and take lots of pictures please!

OP
OP
dethmaShine

dethmaShine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP FJG
the PPF youre getting should take care of that. just enjoy the drive! its going to be years before i can do a trip like this 😞 just do the rest of us a favor and take lots of pictures please!
High expectations from someone like me who is bad, but I will do my best, promise!

So far:

Granger, Iowa → Wichita, KS → Amarillo Tx → Santa Fe/Albuquerque (based on the weather) → Grand Canyon, AZ.

It's unclear what I want to do after AZ. Should I go to Long beach or Bakersfield or Vegas... No clue, still thinking!

Last edited:

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2023 BMW M440i, 2020 Ram 1500, 2021 Jeep JK
High expectations from someone like me who is bad, but I will do my best, promise!

So far:

Granger, Iowa → Wichita, KS → Amarillo Tx, Santa Fe/Albuquerque (based on the weather) → Grand Canyon, AZ.

It's unclear what I want to do after AZ. Should I go to Long beach or Bakersfield or Vegas... No clue, still thinking!
Anything west of Albuquerque, and you can set it and forget it. All are good drives. The only issue is the sandblasting on the front end, test the PPF out. Good luck on the trip, and enjoy your new ride!

OutWest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Old Person Special Mach 1

So far:

Granger, Iowa → Wichita, KS → Amarillo Tx, Santa Fe/Albuquerque (based on the weather) → Grand Canyon, AZ.

I would not go to Bakersfield. I would go to Las Vegas and then stop in Visalia CA to visit the Sequoia national park (dont’ take 99, which is badly paved, but I-5). Just my opinion

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1

So far:

Granger, Iowa → Wichita, KS → Amarillo Tx → Santa Fe/Albuquerque (based on the weather) → Grand Canyon, AZ.

That west Texas drive going into NM. Prepare for a lot of boredom and also some good chances to break your engine in.

Sponsored
OP
OP
dethmaShine

dethmaShine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP FJG
Anything west of Albuquerque, and you can set it and forget it. All are good drives. The only issue is the sandblasting on the front end, test the PPF out. Good luck on the trip, and enjoy your new ride!
Thank you so much. If you have any recommendations, let me know! :)

I would not go to Bakersfield. I would go to Las Vegas and then stop in Visalia CA to visit the Sequoia national park (dont’ take 99, which is badly paved, but I-5). Just my opinion
Yeah thats something we were considering. We have been to Vegas so many times hehe. But Sequoia is something we might consider more strongly. Let's see. Thanks!

That west Texas drive going into NM. Prepare for a lot of boredom and also **some good chances to break your engine in.**
Hello? Can't end with that. 😄Say more.

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2023 BMW M440i, 2020 Ram 1500, 2021 Jeep JK
Thank you so much. If you have any recommendations, let me know! :)

Yeah thats something we were considering. We have been to Vegas so many times hehe. But Sequoia is something we might consider more strongly. Let's see. Thanks!

Hello? Can't end with that. 😄Say more.
Thats right west Texas is 90 MPH, so a good time for the over 100 MPH pulls.........Yeah!!!

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
to be fair, i don't think anyone has ever wanted to go to bakersfield. they just end up there and get stuck lol

OP
OP
dethmaShine

dethmaShine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP FJG
Is there like a thread or a forum discussing what kind of gear to buy - in terms of recording M1 either on the street or track?
Sponsored