2020 "Mach 1" teaser from Ford future product guide

Discussion in 'Mach 1' started by @Car_Sick_Nick, Jul 23, 2018.

1. @Car_Sick_Nick

@Car_Sick_Nick SAVE THE MACH 1!

Vehicle(s):
    2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1
    0   0   0
  2. Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo Super Moderator

First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle(s):
    Mustang '05 GT
    0   0   0
    Hmmm, guessing this isn't an official future Ford article? I've seen that before.....not sure if it was created by CarScoops, or just borrowed by them. Nice car but, I agree, call it anything (within reason) but not Mach 1

3. ststang

ststang Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 GB EBM AT PP
    0   0   0
    Still thinking it will be called Maverick as Ford recently re-trademarked the name. Would fit with the western theme with bringing back the Bronco nameplate. Mach 1 should always be a Mustang model.

Twin Turbo likes this.
  4. Driversedge18

Driversedge18 SPIRIT OF AMERICA

Vehicle(s):
    2018 ECOBOOST PREMIUM
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    This would sell , for sure. If this rendering is accurate.

5. Nameless

Nameless Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Tedd
    Vehicle(s):
    '13 GT
    0   0   0
    Nope, that's not official at all. I would bet that the render is based on the Edge ST.

According to some websites "Maverick" is the nameplate that the Escape's brother "small off road crossover" (A.K.A. Mini Bronco) will use, and it makes sense since that was the name of an overseas Off Road SUV sold from the 80's to the mid 2000's (this last one being a rebadged First Gen Escape).

off-road-high-res.jpg

As much as I don't like the new "Electric crossover" to be called "Mach 1", it's not something crazy, since Ford has already done similar things in the past (using an earlier model trim level, as a name for a new car), let's remember the Ranger and the F-Series Ranger scenario.

Twin Turbo likes this.
  6. Loki-GT

Loki-GT Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    The Mach 1 is a Mustang, period. If Ford wants to create a catchy new SUV/Crossover because they're killing off all but a few of their cars, have the imagination to create a catchy name for it. I hated it when Ford called the 2010 a Taurus when the 500 was a better name for their premium sedan, I ended up buying a few over the years anyway so maybe they know people will buy anyway no matter the name.

7. Nameless

Nameless Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Tedd
    Vehicle(s):
    '13 GT
    0   0   0
    The only reason it was called "Taurus" and not 500 anymore is because the last didn't sell well.

Mach 1 is just "the speed of sound" and even when we know it was a Mustang version they COULD still use that name BUT not using the same "MACH 1" typography as the Mustang... that's just fucked up.

8. OP
    OP
    @Car_Sick_Nick

@Car_Sick_Nick SAVE THE MACH 1!

Vehicle(s):
    2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1
    0   0   0
    Twin Turbo and Nameless like this.
  9. hcappie

hcappie Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Mustang GT Premium
    0   0   0
    As a Mustang aficionado, I too was outraged at the thought of a non Mustang bearing the Mach 1 name. But after a while, and seeing the teaser of the Mustang inspired taillights on an SUV, I think I changed my mind. I hate seeing Ford make bad decisions. Let’s take the Ford Taurus, which was one of the top selling family sedans for many years. While it was still successful, Ford dropped the name & rebranded it 500. Seeing the decline in sales, they updated it with a better engine & options & changed the name back to Taurus. Guess what, sales improved over the 500. Next mistake, new redesigned Taurus. Nice car, but what does Ford do? They don’t advertise it and haven’t updated it at all. Brand recognition is a good thing, but you can’t rely on a name alone. You need to promote it and update it. Show it some love. A neglected product will lead to neglected demand from customers. Back to the Mustang. I love my Mustang. I want to keep it as it has just the right amount of mods to my liking. My daily is a Nissan Rogue. Comfortable, good on gas, but slow & boring. Boy if I could afford it I would love a performance SUV to blend fun and needs! So that being said, wouldn’t a hi-po SUV bearing some Mustang cues to tell you this thing is a beast, bearing an iconic nameplate, and oozing with go fast bits maybe keep some enthusiasts with Ford as opposed to jumping ship when their needs change? I mean, Dodge seems to be doing well with the Challenger, Charger, Durango. They all carry similar cues of each other. I say go for it Ford. Make a Mach 1 SUV but make it a performer, not an Escape with a performance name. That’s my 2 cents

ststang likes this.