Sponsored

Old school exhaust note

GT Nate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT Premium
I have MBRP Street and it sounds deep, but once you get on it over 5k it gets frappy.
Sponsored

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
MRT is also an option but it has a little bit of drone from what I understand, not much but it's there. However they offer a resonator that eliminates the drone.

I have the ARH catback with Hpipe and constantly get compliments on how it sounds...probably as close to old school as you can get with this engine

BlownStang15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Shadow Black
I am getting a center muffler made with a integrated H pipe to try to remove some of the rasp (similar to the Solo MAC Thunder). I will keep you posted.

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
gt500 mufflers imho give it the bigger deeper sound of days past. I know what you mean by saying hollow, like the exhaust is actually producing a big rush of air.

this is the sound i wish my car made. Big and roaring, but its also a 429.

NowhereFast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Prem. PP, 1999 WS6,2010 Expedition
I'm after the same sound. I haven't really heard a 5.0 that sounded nearly as good as any Mustang from pre-2004. Closest I've heard is the Steeda axle back with an H-pipe, but it's still not dead on. Tough to get an idea from videos too.

[ame]

Sponsored

GT Nate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT Premium
Look at the Legato axle back too

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I'm after the same sound. I haven't really heard a 5.0 that sounded nearly as good as any Mustang from pre-2004. Closest I've heard is the Steeda axle back with an H-pipe, but it's still not dead on. Tough to get an idea from videos too.

That's really tinny and raspy considering it's running an H pipe and the size of those mufflers. My wife's super 10s with X pipe have less rasp.

Last edited:

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I think the slow takeoff is probably the closest I've heard to the 2v sound. The super 10s look pretty small. If someone could get creative and mount them on an h pipe pipe right after the tubes angle out (before the diff), the longer tailpipe would probably cut down on the rasp. Maybe even add resonated tail pipes like pype-bombs
I had two dual in dual out super 10s on my car on the mid pipe in place of the resonantor one behind the other (both acting as crossover pipes) and no rear mufflers and honestly I think my wife's sounds better than mine did with that old setup.

OP
OP

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Not many videos around with the Legato exhaust. Found this though and it sounds pretty sweet!

[ame]

It is combined with an H-pipe which I'm sure helps. Would like to hear it start up or some low revs. I think it's gonna be difficult for me to get one of these systems in the UK

Sponsored

CCCP1999

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
CHAS
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
^^That sounds pretty good at low revs - I think you're right about the X-pipe.

That 'Hollow' sound is what I'm after. It's difficult to try and explain it to the guys on the UK forum who don't have the same experience with V8s, let alone classic muscle cars.

Thanks for all your input.
I have the 40's on mine with a X pipe and it don't sound raspy.

Kuba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Not many videos around with the Legato exhaust. Found this though and it sounds pretty sweet!

It is combined with an H-pipe which I'm sure helps. Would like to hear it start up or some low revs. I think it's gonna be difficult for me to get one of these systems in the UK
Don't know if you care for this but just in case[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]CXPlCRIhBHA[/MEDIA]"]

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
gt500 mufflers imho give it the bigger deeper sound of days past. I know what you mean by saying hollow, like the exhaust is actually producing a big rush of air.

this is the sound i wish my car made. Big and roaring, but its also a 429.

That's a 390 cid

BlownStang15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Shadow Black
My exhaust shop doesn't believe you can get an oldskool sound due to the high rpms, quad cams and firing order, but you can get a similar sound at lower rpms by slowing the exhaust down as early as possible with bigger resonators in the mid section. This also allows the rear mufflers to work better.

I am fitting a custom long dual 3" in and out center resonator with a H Pipe inside made from the perforated pipe, this weekend in place of the current X pipe. Fingers crossed it will make a great sound low to mid rpm sound.

Kuba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
My exhaust shop doesn't believe you can get an oldskool sound due to the high rpms, quad cams and firing order, but you can get a similar sound at lower rpms by slowing the exhaust down as early as possible with bigger resonators in the mid section. This also allows the rear mufflers to work better.

I am fitting a custom long dual 3" in and out center resonator with a H Pipe inside made from the perforated pipe, this weekend in place of the current X pipe. Fingers crossed it will make a great sound low to mid rpm sound.
I'd be very interested in hearing more on your results. It'd be cool if you take some pictures and post them up.
Thanks in advance :cheers:
Sponsored