Ok, another coolant reservoir discussion

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT350/'95 F250/'65 Fastback/'96 Cobra Project
I've been contemplating a coolant reservoir change, but it was not a necessary or functional change, so it's been back burner. However, things have changed. Near the end of my track weekend Sunday, I started getting sprinkles of liquid on the windshield. Turns out that it wasn't precipitation, but my coolant reservoir had developed a small crack on the top, and when hot and full, coolant was leaking out into the airflow through the radiator and out of the hood vent onto the windshield. So, now it IS time for a tank. Seems I should not go with stock (has anybody else had the reservoir crack due to heat?), so I need to decide on which. One option is Radium, downside is it's small. Another is Mishimoto, but I've heard some concern around the coolant level sight glass. Shelby tank is pricey. Thoughts, other options? Livernois, UPR, Moroso, Steeda, Canton?
Sponsored

Kramerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I went with the Mishimoto and have no regerts 😉. Aesthetically its an improvement over the stock clear plastic tank and its an easy enough install.

The Mishi uses a clear tube on the exterior of the tank as a sight glass for level identification. I had some initial thoughts about effectiveness, longevity, etc. but its proved a nonissue. Had it on the car for about two years now including multiple track days - not a problem.

FUN2RIDEFAST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium/PP
Vehicle Showcase
I've been contemplating a coolant reservoir change, but it was not a necessary or functional change, so it's been back burner. However, things have changed. Near the end of my track weekend Sunday, I started getting sprinkles of liquid on the windshield. Turns out that it wasn't precipitation, but my coolant reservoir had developed a small crack on the top, and when hot and full, coolant was leaking out into the airflow through the radiator and out of the hood vent onto the windshield. So, now it IS time for a tank. Seems I should not go with stock (has anybody else had the reservoir crack due to heat?), so I need to decide on which. One option is Radium, downside is it's small. Another is Mishimoto, but I've heard some concern around the coolant level sight glass. Shelby tank is pricey. Thoughts, other options? Livernois, UPR, Moroso, Steeda, Canton?
I have the Mishimoto and the sight gage attach point started leaking. It's just a press fit over a port with a tiny O ring. I contacted Mishimoto and they said they carry no replacement parts?? Huh? Anyway, they said then send it back for a replacement. I didn't have the receipt so I went to a hardware store and found a O'ring that seemed to work as it snapped on over the port. A couple of days later I opened the hood and the entire sight assembly was gone. I went to Advance Auto and bought two brass plugs, which they carry, used blue heat thread tape and plugged it. So that's my Mishimoto tale

FUN2RIDEFAST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium/PP
Vehicle Showcase
I went with a FatHouse tank. Well made, no issues. Add a Ford Performance badge for visual appeal.

IMG_0404.jpeg
Looks great. I had my Mishimoto powder coated gray and painted the Mishimoto letter yellow. It looks really good but the buyer shouldn't have to trouble shoot their product because their customer support sucks.

Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Your question is not new. I'm not saying use the search function because this is a repeate topic, but use the search funtion...because this topic has been discussed with some good feedback on the brands you have mentioned, and you'll probably find some good info.

OP
OP
ChipG

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
The feedback I saw was mostly Mishimoto sight glass concerns, Radium size concerns, and Shelby price concerns as mentioned, I was asking for feedback on other options which I haven't really seen, or thoughts from those tracking, which seems to impact the stock plastic. I'll do another look as well.

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Haven't had any issues with my UPR reservoir, it has been good to me.

OP
OP
ChipG

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
What I've seen in another read through:
  • Mishimoto sight glass may come off
  • Moroso/Steeda has some concern with no internal submerged tube
  • Radium size may be a concern with significant heat causing overflow
  • Granatelli is quite large
Leaving:
  • Shelby (C&R Racing) - expensive
  • Canton - also has a sight glass, potential for the same concern as Mishimoto?
  • Fat Fab
  • UPR
No idea on the internal plumbing for Shelby/C&R, Fat Fab, or UPR

Offshoregames

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
21’ GT Premium PP1 Carbonized Grey Metallic loaded
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the Steeda one which is actually a moroso. Easy install and looks great.

Sponsored

Keeffa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
keith
Vehicle(s)
ford mustang 2018 gt
Is it common for the genuine one to fail?

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
What I've seen in another read through:
  • Mishimoto sight glass may come off
  • Moroso/Steeda has some concern with no internal submerged tube
  • Radium size may be a concern with significant heat causing overflow
  • Granatelli is quite large
Leaving:
  • Shelby (C&R Racing) - expensive
  • Canton - also has a sight glass, potential for the same concern as Mishimoto?
  • Fat Fab
  • UPR
No idea on the internal plumbing for Shelby/C&R, Fat Fab, or UPR
Steeda installed
IMG_0571.jpeg

whatisgrip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Radium capacity is probably 1/2 of the OE bubble but no issues cooling wise. I just ran back to back Road Atlanta events in 90 degree weather with no issue. I did take mine off because there was machining oils in the tank that caused sludge. Just make sure to not over fill and clean out the tank prior to install if you go that route.

That being said since I haven't put it back on so if you are interested in one, I have mine laying around :like:

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
If referring to the Steeda tank you're wrong about the capacity. It was measured before replaced.
It is odd that you found machine oil in the tank, and not saying it can not happen. I would think any oil would have been removed before the seems were welded?
Sponsored