Sponsored

Oil temperature sensor

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
I have a 2017 GT PP1 that I track extensively and my next modification is to remove the marginal oil-to-water cooler and add a large air-to-oil cooler kit from Harrop ( google it, it’s a very interesting design)
Anyhow, I would like to add a “real” oil temperature gauge and for that I would like to find a location on the engine to screw the sensor for the gauge
Any idea where?if it’s not possible I will have to use an inline adapter, such as this one https://www.anhosefittings.com/an-male-flare-to-an-female-w-npt-female-sensor-port-a.html
Thanks
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
IIRC, the factory oil sensor should be just above your oil filter housing - you can “T” off from there to do an oil temp sender.

Here’s some tips that may help...

You can insert a SS line to the block then a brass “T” off that line. The T would have 3 ports - one to run feed line from block, 2 to keep your original oil sensor intact and the 3rd for your new mechanical gauge (or sender for a temp or psi gauge).

—-

I did an aftermarket true mechanical oil psi gauge in my 94 Cobra and did it as such:

• Removed original sensor from engine block
  • Used 4ft AutoMeter SS line and screwed one end directly into the block.
  • Purchased brass “T” - this gets screwed onto end of the 4ft line coming off block. Original oil sensor then gets screwed into the middle port of the “T”.
  • Purchased 6ft AutoMeter SS line - this gets screwed into the other end of the “T”. The other open end of the SS line gets fished into the passenger compartment to wherever you’re going to mount the mechanical oil PSI gauge.
  • Purchased AutoMeter mechanical oil PSI gauge. Once you determine where your going to mount the gauge for it’s final spot in passenger compartment, screw end of 6ft SS line to the back of the gauge - then mount and secure gauge.
If your gauge is not mechanical but is electric and relies on a sender, then instead of plugging the 6ft SS line to the back of a mechanical gauge, you would plug the sender into the remaining open port on the T instead of using a 6Ft SS line.

On my Cobra, the 4ft SS line comes from the block, to under the driver side inner wheel well liner and is secured to the upper inner fender support (between fender liner and frame basically). Then the 6ft SS line goes through the firewall into the dash position where my oil psi gauge is located. All lines are completely hidden and can’t be seen at all outside or inside of the vehicle.

Whatever you do - do NOT use any of that shitty plastic or copper “capillary” line with compression fittings for ANY mechanical fluid gauges! They always leak and in worst case can be a risk of fire! Always use Stainless Steel Braided line if using any mechanical gauges!

I also ran a true water temp and fuel psi gauges too - doing exactly the same as noted above. The water temp and fuel psi gauge uses a sender like a oil temp gauge would - so same basic install concepts as a DIY above. Water temp has no use for SS line, but still need to “T” off from original port on intake to retain factory sender.

Last edited: