Oil Separators

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
I place a towel under mine, so if and when I drop one…it just lands on the towel.
Been using that method for decades. I have shag carpet in my garage so it’s impossible to find small bits if dropped.

OP
OP
StangersInTheNight

StangersInTheNight

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R
I swear I saw a ford how to video that showed them undoing the pins and dumping the whole thing. I’ll see if I can find it for fun.
Yes, I had seen that, too. For me, the hardest part of the entire installation were those stupid push pins in the valve cover, with the big wiring harness in the way. No way I am going to deal with them every time I want to get the oil out. I read that some take the cover off each time and just wipe it clean, and others use a syringe to syphon out. I went with the syringe, but I think you need to get a handle on the amount of oil collected over a period of time. If you want to empty frequently, the syringe may not work; not often enough and just wiping it clean will be a mess.

OP
OP
StangersInTheNight

StangersInTheNight

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R
I dropped one of those little top cover bolts after draining mine. Heart it clink twice.

Nothing under the car
Not visible from the top
Removed the coolant tank, still can't find it.
Dragged a magnet around the belly pan, nothing
Removed the belly pan, nothing.
Lots more searching.
Finally found the bugger had landed inside the AC fan shroud.
- 30 min oil change turned into a 1.5 hour affair.
Been there, done that.

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Yes, I had seen that, too. For me, the hardest part of the entire installation were those stupid push pins in the valve cover, with the big wiring harness in the way. No way I am going to deal with them every time I want to get the oil out. I read that some take the cover off each time and just wipe it clean, and others use a syringe to syphon out. I went with the syringe, but I think you need to get a handle on the amount of oil collected over a period of time. If you want to empty frequently, the syringe may not work; not often enough and just wiping it clean will be a mess.
Yes, that was my same concept. I was not a fan of having to pull that wiring harness. it's already snug enough!

Sponsored

GoBlueGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 w/ Tech pack, 2022 F150 Tremor
I place a towel under mine, so if and when I drop one…it just lands on the towel.
At the risk of asking a really dumb question, do you mind describing this in a little more detail? Just a shop towel under the actual air-oil separator?

I remove the bolts and the top, then use a syringe to remove the oil, have a magnetic pan that the bolts go in while I have the top portion off. Thus far its gone smoothly, but I did drop one of the plastic push pins when I installed the passenger side one immediately after I got the car. 45 min of searching and absolutely nothing, figured at least it was plastic...

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
I use a big drying/polishing towel that I keep in the trunk to wipe the car off after washing it at the spray wash place or when I get to my condo garage after driving in the rain.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I know people are squarely in their camp, but this thread and discussion is exactly why I rock the JLT. The only thing I concern myself with is how hot the canister is (and whether I need a rag) when i unscrew it, dump it and reattach it. Takes me 30 seconds.

I know the FRPP separators "look" more factory, but anything that can be made simpler is a pro in my book.

Reap

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harald
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mustang 2017 Mustang
There's now a torx bit down there somewhere. I think a winter project will be to drop the bottom covers and go on a scavenger hunt. Heck, I may find the Hope diamond in there.
You mean you hope to find a diamond!:like:

fatony618

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R Heritage Edition
Lol, you haven't freaked out yet until you drop the screw to the bottom of the pan... that being said I forget I have yet to make my ace hardware visit for extra bolts on hand. Thankfully, my magnetic tool helped get that bolt out of the bottom but man.... that was pure luck that day.
I dropped an Allen key and it went straight down to the bottom. I must have screamed and cursed for 20 min straight. I finally got it out after a few hours hunting for it with a magnet and a camera but next time I'm going to create and or buy something to go under where I work as I CANNOT have that happen again. Felt like such an idiot.

Sponsored

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I remove the bolts and the top, then use a syringe to remove the oil, have a magnetic pan that the bolts go in while I have the top portion off.
If you have a syringe already, why bother with even removing the bolts and top? Just disconnect the lower hose, and with a little extension hose on the syringe, insert into seperator and syphon. Granted, you won't get every last drop of oil, but you will get 99%.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Try dropping something into the engine bay of a 911……been there and cursed that….

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
I drilled and taped a hole, 1/4-20, at the bottom of 1 side and use a plastic thumb screw with an o-ring to close it
To drain, I just put a small container underneath and remove the screw