Oil Separators

StangersInTheNight

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R
I imagine others have been here before, but I thought I would add my $.02. I purchased my '18 GT350R with about 9K on its Gen I voodoo. I do some occasional tracking, but before my 1st event with the R, I installed the FPP oil separators on both sides. A reasonably easy install, but I learned that you don't want to drop anything (like a plastic push pin) while working under the hood. Unless it drops and stays in a spot you can see/reach from the top, it is gone forever unless you are willing to start taking bottom covers off. Quite a bit different from my 1st Mustang, a '68 coupe, which was also my 1st car.

After about 300 miles and 1 track event at Canaan in NH, a 1.3 mile circuit where top speeds are around 90MPH, here are the results. I used a syringe to collect the oil from the pass side separator, and the shot of the water bottle shows approx how much was collected (some small amount was lost in the transfer process). As has been noted by others, I got absolutely zero on the driver side as shown in the shot with 'LH'.

Just thinking of where that oil goes without a separator makes me cringe, but I guess it is considered 'normal'.

IMG_2196.JPG

IMG_2200.JPG

IMG_2203.JPG
Sponsored

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
On my passenger side seperator recently, I siphoned out 1 1/2 oz after about 4K miles. That's with doing a lot of driving in the 7K-8K rpm range. That's 1 1/2 oz of oil that didn't end up in the intake manifold and burned in the cylinder.

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
@StangersInTheNight Ha! I just got back from 300 track miles at VIR. Speeds there range from 40-150 over 3.2 miles. I had almost the exact same yield from my oil separators, including a bone dry drivers side.

Mrhavasu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Where is the best place to get a oil separator? Thinking about the pass side and it being
a Ford Perf brand. Thanks

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Believe it or not, I’ve bought them off Amazon for a better price then Lethal, CJPony, etc.

Where is the best place to get a oil separator? Thinking about the pass side and it being

Sponsored

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I imagine others have been here before, but I thought I would add my $.02. I purchased my '18 GT350R with about 9K on its Gen I voodoo. I do some occasional tracking, but before my 1st event with the R, I installed the FPP oil separators on both sides. A reasonably easy install, but I learned that you don't want to drop anything (like a plastic push pin) while working under the hood. Unless it drops and stays in a spot you can see/reach from the top, it is gone forever .....
Lol, you haven't freaked out yet until you drop the screw to the bottom of the pan... that being said I forget I have yet to make my ace hardware visit for extra bolts on hand. Thankfully, my magnetic tool helped get that bolt out of the bottom but man.... that was pure luck that day.

OP
OP
StangersInTheNight

StangersInTheNight

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R
Lol, you haven't freaked out yet until you drop the screw to the bottom of the pan... that being said I forget I have yet to make my ace hardware visit for extra bolts on hand. Thankfully, my magnetic tool helped get that bolt out of the bottom but man.... that was pure luck that day.
There's now a torx bit down there somewhere. I think a winter project will be to drop the bottom covers and go on a scavenger hunt. Heck, I may find the Hope diamond in there.

OP
OP
StangersInTheNight

StangersInTheNight

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R
You can buy them separately, but CJPonyParts has a kit with both pieces. https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-pe...rator-kit-gt350-gt350r-2015-2020/p/M6766A50K/ I shopped around and found better prices on each piece, but with free shipping buying both from CJ was the best deal at the time. Looks like prices have gone up since I bought mine in August. But that's no surprise these days 🙁 Go login there (have to create an account first) and put one in your cart, but don't check out. Just let it sit. You'll get a coupon for a discount or sale later.

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
It's for that reason, I use a simple syphon when removing the oil from the Ford seperator. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Supercharg...f-b42c-4113-8eef-fef59b1aac69&redirect=mobile Disconnecting the top lower hose from the seperator, and going in through there.

Btw, talking about dropping things in the engine bay. I once put down the oil dip stick near the fender wall. It rolled, and fell into a very small gap between the inside fender wall, and outside fender. Thank goodness for the magnetic grip tool.

Last edited:
OP
OP
StangersInTheNight

StangersInTheNight

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R
It's for that reason, I use a simple syphon when removing the oil from the Ford seperator. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Supercharg...f-b42c-4113-8eef-fef59b1aac69&redirect=mobile Disconnecting the top hose from the seperator, and going in through there.
That's exactly what I bought. But for 1st-time cleaning, I wanted to SEE what it looked like in there, and I wasn't sure where the oil would be pooling. Now that I know that, I will do it by taking off the lower hose because on my installation, the pool is directly below the top hose outlet and it will be easier to syphon it out from the lower hose input on the opposite side.

Sponsored

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
That's exactly what I bought. But for 1st-time cleaning, I wanted to SEE what it looked like in there, and I wasn't sure where the oil would be pooling. Now that I know that, I will do it by taking off the lower hose because on my installation, the pool is directly below the top hose outlet and it will be easier to syphon it out from the lower hose input on the opposite side.
Same, it doesn't appear to be a lot and technically this is the way FORD wants you to do it. They do not suggest the removal of the bolts for obvious reasons. Just ordered.

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
Installed only the passenger side. Emptied mine the other day and after 3300 miles I had approximately 2 1/2 ounces.

Saxgod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2021 Bronco Sport Outerbanks
Same, it doesn't appear to be a lot and technically this is the way FORD wants you to do it. They do not suggest the removal of the bolts for obvious reasons. Just ordered.
I swear I saw a ford how to video that showed them undoing the pins and dumping the whole thing. I’ll see if I can find it for fun.

found it. Go to 2:00

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I swear I saw a ford how to video that showed them undoing the pins and dumping the whole thing. I’ll see if I can find it for fun.
The plastic push pins may be acceptable but what I meant to say was the removal of the torx bolts. They want you to drain it without undoing the top cover.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I dropped one of those little top cover bolts after draining mine. Heart it clink twice.

Nothing under the car
Not visible from the top
Removed the coolant tank, still can't find it.
Dragged a magnet around the belly pan, nothing
Removed the belly pan, nothing.
Lots more searching.
Finally found the bugger had landed inside the AC fan shroud.
- 30 min oil change turned into a 1.5 hour affair.
Sponsored