Sponsored

Oil separator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DoVa
Vehicle(s)
19 GT&Black accent package
General question about installing Oil separator?
Any particular brand JLT 3.0, Steeda, Ford Perf?
Also, they sell both Passenger and Driver side? both sides have to be installed correct?
Finally how often do they have to be cleaned? every oil change?
Thanks
Sponsored

Xzavior1818

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2015 SCION xB, 2019 Mustang Gt
Passenger only. JLT for ease of use, empty every 3,000 miles. Ford performance for oem look, and added capacity. Empty every 6,000 miles.

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
You only need passenger unless you're hardcore racing. JLT's are good, UPR is another really good one. They have a high capcity one and a plug and play. I have used JLT, but it didn't fit right with my new thottle body so I had to change to UPR. Ford Performance gives a good look, but not as simple to remove to empty.
If you don't drive crazy then you probably won't have much oil in it. Just check it after 1500 miles the first time, see how much you have then you can get an idea how often you need to check. I barely ever have any in mine.

bigplayrayr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Coupe
I've been thinking of installing one on my GT. I do not race it at all, would still be beneficial enough to get?

Sponsored

Xzavior1818

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2015 SCION xB, 2019 Mustang Gt
Yes, they are benifical keeps crankcase oil blow by from entering back into the intake. Port injection alone does helps keep the valves clean but oil still gets by and can coat the valves while some gets burned off during combustion, which you don't want in your high reving coyote engine.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Passenger only. JLT for ease of use, empty every 3,000 miles. Ford performance for oem look, and added capacity. Empty every 6,000 miles.
I really don't get why people say this. it takes me maybe 3 minutes to remove empty and replace my FPP separator.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Yes, they are benifical keeps crankcase oil blow by from entering back into the intake. Port injection alone does helps keep the valves clean but oil still gets by and can coat the valves while some gets burned off during combustion, which you don't want in your high reving coyote engine.
It also coats inside of the manifold. Take a look inside of the older 4.6L 2pc Intake manifold and you'll see they got caked in burnt oil.

BEERCHAMP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
You only need the passenger side. I have JLT, very easy to install, easy to screw/unscrew.
I had very little oil in it after 3K, checked again at 8k )oil change and still maybe > 1 oz. My '19 has 12.5k miles so I won't check it again until 13k when I do an oil change.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Ford Performance, I do a little track and a lot of autox. Passenger side only.

Only need to empty it when I change the engine oil, and get 1-1.5oz out of it. Takes <5 minutes tops.

No thanks to the aftermarket options, I like this OEM part for capacity and fit.

Sponsored

D Bergstrom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I agree with Passenger side only also. MY old 2017 GT I had the Ford performance separators on both sides. When I traded it in, I removed them. They had been on for about 5,500 miles. passenger one was probably over half full, drivers side was bone dry. Car was just driven on the street, no track use at all.

Bought the Ford Performance passenger side one for my new 2020 GT the first week I had it, nothing for the drivers side.

Doug

SMOKE46

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach1
Vehicle Showcase
I had the jlt on my 14 GT premium trackpack it was easy install , I only emtied it 3 times b4 I traded for Mach 1

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
How are you guys emptying your Ford seperator: taking it off completely, opening top lid, or using a syphon tube? I have yet to look at mine. I have the syphon tube. Worried about taking off the lid and dropping one of those screws into the abyss.

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
Last edited:
Reactions: dx2

SVTchris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
1993 SVT Mustang Cobra, 2004 SVT F-150 Lightning, 2019 Mustang Bullitt
How are you guys emptying your Ford seperator: taking it off completely, opening top lid, or using a syphon tube? I have yet to look at mine. I have the syphon tube. Worried about taking off the lid and dropping one of those screws into the abyss.
You are making way too hard for yourself. As the instructions say, remove the 2 tubes with the factory style quick disconnects, lift separator off the bracket, pour out oil inside out the lower hole, slide back on the bracket and snap the quick disconnects back on. Super easy. Removing the top is only for servicing the screen inside should it ever be necessary.
Sponsored