Oil Plug Being Difficult on '19 GT

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Well that sucks and why would they do that ?

This thread was freaking me out a little as I tightened up the oil plug a little tough ( but not to tough ) and if it was plastic I could of easily stripped it. And then I was thinking I’m an idiot that don’t know the difference between metal and plastic and maybe I should not work on the car anymore. And then I was thinking WOW they make plastic today that looks and feels like metal.
Crazy thoughts right :)

FWIW, I’m wrong a lot also :)
Hahah love the train of thought! They did it for heat dispersion and weight savings. Haven't heard of many people getting them cracked too easily. Does make me hesitant on lowering the car. It also allows for more engine noise as someone posted previously. I'm surprised aftermarket isn't making aluminum pans like crazy, I'd have one already.

My last car had a crush washer that needed to be replaced every oil change.
Sponsored

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
Hahah love the train of thought! They did it for heat dispersion and weight savings. Haven't heard of many people getting them cracked too easily. Does make me hesitant on lowering the car. It also allows for more engine noise as someone posted previously. I'm surprised aftermarket isn't making aluminum pans like crazy, I'd have one already.

My last car had a crush washer that needed to be replaced every oil change.
Actually thought people said that metal sheds heat better.

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 PP1 401A
This thread was freaking me out a little as I tightened up the oil plug a little tough ( but not to tough ) and if it was plastic I could of easily stripped it.
Not a chance. It's plastic AF and it cams into place, not threaded in the traditional sense. This is my 2018:
Plastic.png

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
Not a chance. It's plastic AF and it cams into place, not threaded in the traditional sense. This is my 2018:
Plastic.png

Thanks for that pic and that puts my mind at ease. So much plastic on modern cars Yowzer

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Just to be clear ... Does the new plastic drain pan have the same thread as before? The photo of the new drain plug looks more like a twist-lok than a normal thread. EDIT: NVM. Just saw post #64.

I'm due for my first change, and I was already expecting the Horizontal Old Faithful event, but I haven't decided if I want to try to reuse the original plastic plug, or buy aftermarket.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
It's not threaded in the normal sense, more of a twist-lock thing as you said.

Reactions: GTP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Actually a composite plastic, like the oil pan is made of, is a lot stronger than people realize - not to mention lighter. There are quite a few high end engines that use a lot of composite pieces on their engines - they wouldn't do it just to save money - losing weight is the same as adding more power -just easier.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Just to be clear ... Does the new plastic drain pan have the same thread as before? The photo of the new drain plug looks more like a twist-lok than a normal thread. EDIT: NVM. Just saw post #64.

I'm due for my first change, and I was already expecting the Horizontal Old Faithful event, but I haven't decided if I want to try to reuse the original plastic plug, or buy aftermarket.
My plastic plug was replaced with a valve but the plug looks almost unused. I'm sure they can be reused a few times without issue. I thought I read they were single use items and someone confirmed it was in the manual on a different thread but I can't find where it says it anywhere now lol.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Neither the '19 Owner's Manual nor the '19 Service Manual mention to replace the plug. The service manual actually shows to reinstall it after draining the oil. I like the Ronin plug but even if I installed a new Ford plug each time I changed the oil it wouldn't pay for itself for 20 years.
I do not like Ronin saying the Ford plug is a one-time use item without any way to back up the claim.

RaceHorseV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky
Vehicle(s)
2001 Cobra, 2004 Cobra, 2019 GT
I can't find it either, looking at capacities and scheduled maintenance sections. Ronin says two different things (one on their site, one on Amazon):
"With no maintenance required, you will never have to replace parts or service anything, unlike the stock plug, which requires replacement each oil change, so you'll save money in the long run."
vs.
"The OEM Ford Yellow Plastic Plug requires replacing the O-Ring each oil drain. The Ronin Factory drain requires no maintenance, so the overall cost over the life of the truck will be less expensive with the Ronin Factory Easy Oil Drain"
What a concept, a OEM oil drain valve! It would also have to be removable in case of failure but an OEM drain valve would be the shit. Alas, the bean counters would never approve spending a couple of extra bucks...

Sponsored

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1

On a lighter note, draining the oil reminded me of Summersville dam on the Gauley River (WV).
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...425ACA407257D2575CEE425ACA407257&&FORM=VRDGAR

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Neither the '19 Owner's Manual nor the '19 Service Manual mention to replace the plug. The service manual actually shows to reinstall it after draining the oil. I like the Ronin plug but even if I installed a new Ford plug each time I changed the oil it wouldn't pay for itself for 20 years.
I do not like Ronin saying the Ford plug is a one-time use item without any way to back up the claim.
This Ronin plug was designed for the Ford F150. It just happens to be an identical design on the 18+ Mustang. Is there anything in the F150 owners or service manual that says it's one time use?

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
This Ronin plug was designed for the Ford F150. It just happens to be an identical design on the 18+ Mustang. Is there anything in the F150 owners or service manual that says it's one time use?
The owner's manual for my '19 F-150 makes no such claim that I've been able to find....

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
The owner's manual for my '19 F-150 makes no such claim that I've been able to find....
If the service techs don't replace these plastic plugs after each use then Ronin is guilty of spreading false information and using fear to sell more drain plugs. But whatever, I didn't buy it because of the supposed single use plug. I bought it and paid dearly for the convenience of not turning my garage floor into an Exxon oil slick at every oil change.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
If the service techs don't replace these plastic plugs after each use then Ronin is guilty of spreading false information and using fear to sell more drain plugs. But whatever, I didn't buy it because of the supposed single use plug. I bought it and paid dearly for the convenience of not turning my garage floor into an Exxon oil slick at every oil change.
Agree, the potential savings on new plugs every change was a bonus for me too. And now that I've used it, no matter what the brand is, my future vehicles that use oil will all have valves.
Sponsored