Sponsored

Oil Plug Being Difficult on '19 GT

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
That's a nice looking plug. Still the same issue of oil getting everywhere though right? Also, legitimately asking here, will a metal plug fatigue the "threads" on the pan after many uses? Likely not an issue unless you're doing like 200 oil changes and also likely over a million miles on the car lol.
Yeah, you need to drain pan handy. I manage to get mine out and draining into the pan without creating a mess. Never had an issue with the metal plug fatiguing the pan.
Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Yeah, you need to drain pan handy. I manage to get mine out and draining into the pan without creating a mess. Never had an issue with the metal plug fatiguing the pan.
Yeah, metal on plastic every oil change should still last a couple of car lifetimes. Unless it's glock plastic they used. Every glock I seen look old and beat to hell after a few magazines run through them lol. Still work totally fine, just looks terrible.

RaceHorseV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky
Vehicle(s)
2001 Cobra, 2004 Cobra, 2019 GT
If you back the OEM drain plug out slowly you can control the outflow. It takes a few extra minutes to drain but there is no fire hose effect and zero mess. I saw no reason to replace the drain plug and I've looked everywhere and can't find where it says it's a single-use item in my owners manual. Maybe I'm blind but can someone provide the page number? Thanks

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 PP1 401A
If you back the OEM drain plug out slowly you can control the outflow. It takes a few extra minutes to drain but there is no fire hose effect and zero mess. I saw no reason to replace the drain plug and I've looked everywhere and can't find where it says it's a single-use item in my owners manual. Maybe I'm blind but can someone provide the page number? Thanks
I can't find it either, looking at capacities and scheduled maintenance sections. Ronin says two different things (one on their site, one on Amazon):
"With no maintenance required, you will never have to replace parts or service anything, unlike the stock plug, which requires replacement each oil change, so you'll save money in the long run."
vs.
"The OEM Ford Yellow Plastic Plug requires replacing the O-Ring each oil drain. The Ronin Factory drain requires no maintenance, so the overall cost over the life of the truck will be less expensive with the Ronin Factory Easy Oil Drain"

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
Guess I am confused how you get to the magnetic end of this new plug if it is'nt removed each time, cause I would like to look at this part every oil change. Any info on this part? otherwise I am sold on this plug but waiting to hear about the magnetic part

Sponsored

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
The plastic pan and the plastic drain plug is the dumbest thing Ford has done in a long time. Ford has used threaded steel drain plugs and steel oil pans since 1932 and probably even before. The plastic pan contributes to more engine noise and the drain plug contributes to an oil mess if you're not careful when draining. Also God forbid, bottom out see how that works out for you.
I couldn't agree more. A dented oil pan is much better than a cracked one. But gosh, nobody lowers their Mustang right? Ford does do some boneheaded things. Mine has a screw-in drain plug, thank goodness.

My Honda has an aluminum washer that helps seal the drain plug. It literally costs pennies to replace, or you can turn it over and use it a second time if you are uber cheap. Simple!

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 PP1 401A
Guess I am confused how you get to the magnetic end of this new plug if it is'nt removed each time, cause I would like to look at this part every oil change. Any info on this part? otherwise I am sold on this plug but waiting to hear about the magnetic part
You would pull the whole schmear out like the original plug once the oil is drained out via the insert (which you can attach a hose to, emptying directly into a jug).

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Anyone have part numbers for Ford plug and O ring?

I don't change my oil, but I could give to my shop that does so they could replace.

Care less about cost of a new plug and O ring. I too don't like the idea of metal plug, especially if I'm not doing the screwing

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
I read it while reading the manual online while waiting for my order to come in but now I can't find it either. Maybe I got it from Ronin's site then? I know my original plug looks brand new. Even so, I still think the valve is worth the cost. 1st oil change with plug vs second oil change with valve was a night and day difference. I feel like for ease of use, a valve could be molded into the pan itself?

Also, totally guilty of searching the internet for an aluminum oil pan lol

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
I’m missing something

The 19 has a plastic oil plug and oil pan ?
(That would suck )

I’m pretty sure my 16 has a metal oil plug and metal oil pan right ?

I thought it did when I changed the oil a bunch of times already but sometimes I’m not the smartest tool in the shed ... lol

This is really odd

Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
I’m missing something

The 19 has a plastic oil plug and oil pan ?
(That would suck )

I’m pretty sure my 16 has a metal oil plug and metal oil pan right ?

I thought it did when I changed the oil a bunch of times already but sometimes I’m not the smartest tool in the shed ... lol

This is really odd
I think it's a MY 18+ thing

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
It was worth the money to me - because with the Ronin I'll be able to drain the 10 qts straight into my recycle container - which is not a drain pan. I maintain 4 vehicles and work on others. Anything that saves me time is worth money.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
So 18+ are plastic oil pan and plastic oil plug and 17- are metal oil pan and metal oil plug ?
As far as I know yes. I'm wrong about as often as I'm right though lol

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
As far as I know yes. I'm wrong about as often as I'm right though lol

Well that sucks and why would they do that ?

This thread was freaking me out a little as I tightened up the oil plug a little tough ( but not to tough ) and if it was plastic I could of easily stripped it. And then I was thinking I’m an idiot that don’t know the difference between metal and plastic and maybe I should not work on the car anymore. And then I was thinking WOW they make plastic today that looks and feels like metal.
Crazy thoughts right :)

FWIW, I’m wrong a lot also :)
Sponsored